GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,469
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, davidjuioro5780
» Online Users: 2,272
2 members and 2,270 guests
fmanning

Old 05-10-2005, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by WeaponX
So my question would be to you and UNLDelt, am I wrong for making that general observation or do all GLOs have alumni chapters, and still participate at the alumni level?
I think the answer to your question is yes...and no.

We have alumni chapters around the country, although they're pretty losely organized in many places. I suspect that's true of many if not most fraternities.

The sororities seem to me to have a much better organization of alumni chapters.

Finally, I suspect that all Greek letter organizations stress life-long membership and support, a lot of members don't thet the message and thus the "I used to be..." dialog.
The above is the opinion of the poster which may or may not be based in known facts and does not necessarily reflect the views of Delta Tau Delta or Greek Chat -- but it might.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 05-10-2005, 12:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Okay I get it now. Like I said before, aint no disrespect here...Im always down to learn something new. But if I may ask another question....why is your alumni system set up the way it is now. If lifelong commitment is stressed at the undergrad level, why are there some fraternities and sororities that have alumni chapters and some that do not? I would think that there would be a way to facilitate the alumni support thru said chapters in this way.
Old 05-10-2005, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Okay I get it now. Like I said before, aint no disrespect here...Im always down to learn something new. But if I may ask another question....why is your alumni system set up the way it is now. If lifelong commitment is stressed at the undergrad level, why are there some fraternities and sororities that have alumni chapters and some that do not? I would think that there would be a way to facilitate the alumni support thru said chapters in this way.
I can't speak for NIC fraternities, but ALL 26 NPC sororities have alumnae chapters. The thing is that not all NPC sororities are equally distributed geography-wise. My sorority, Alpha Sigma Alpha, has 4 alumnae chapters in Chicago and dozens more in the Illinois/Kansas/Missouri area, but none in (example) Washington State, and only one in California. That's because our largest collegiate chapters are at schools in the Midwest. Most of the graduates settle in that area.

So even if you don't see an alumnae chapter of a sorority near you, it doesn't mean they don't exist anywhere.
Old 05-10-2005, 04:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: Re: What are exactly fraternities?

Quote:
The big difference between the "divine nine" orgs and all the other greek orgs, is that membership is reconized to be for life. Once you are a member you are always a member. Its not just something fun to do in college. Most undergrad chapter members are encouraged after graduating to join an alumni chapter in their area. This chapter is made up of people who have already obtained a degree and are out of school. People who have degrees and didnt go thru the process in college are allowed to express interest (much in the same way an undergrad does in college) and join an alumni chapter.
I think it might be more accurate to say the difference is that the NPHC GLOs have an active intake process for alumni/ae members. Not all of the NPC or NIC groups will initiate someone as an alumni/ae. And for most of the ones that do, it seems to be a lengthier process.

ETA: Just b/c there isn't an alumni/ae chapter in a particular area doesn't mean the member can't be active. A lot of times alums are active as an advisor or national volunteer, but they may not be active in their local association.

Something I've noticed is that sororities tend to do alumnae chapters by area, versus fraternities by college chapter. Has anyone else noticed that?

Last edited by WCUgirl; 05-10-2005 at 04:25 PM.
Old 05-10-2005, 06:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to HoosierPhiSig
i havent read through all of the posts, but im sure most of them have covered the important information you're looking for.

all i can really add is....DO NOT VIEW FRATERNITIES AND SORORITIES THE WAY THAT THEY ARE DEPICTED IN MOVIES.

I dont know what it is, but Hollywood really seems to hate the greek system. They make it look terrible by feeding on AWFUL stereotypes that most of the time have VERY LITTLE truth to them.
Old 05-10-2005, 06:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I hope some of the statements will help.

All National Greek Letter Organizations want to profess, Life Membership.

While that is true, it is up to the individual Member whether to still stay active or not. I have been doing it for 40 years, so there is something therre for Me to want to do that.

Basically, the Relationships that We make while in College and later are fantastic.

Since doing this for 40 Years, I have been to many Chapters and numerious IHQ Meetings and met even more Brothers from all over the Country. Yes, I still keep in touch with them. I meet Brothers of Not only LXA My Fraternity, but Men and Women from all over from Different GLOs.

While it may seem hard to understand, just look at GC. Where have you seen so many people working with and for each other.

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 05-10-2005, 06:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I think what tends to happen is that while we stress membership for a lifetime and our membership is for life, the participation of alumnae can be kind of hit or miss. It is not obligatory for an alumnae of Kappa to join the alumnae association although there are many, many associations across the country.

My experience in Kappa has been enhanced by my participation in my local Alumnae Association and by advising my undergraduate chapter. I became active as an alumnae because we had great advisors when I was in school. I just saw it as this is what you do when you graduate. However, not all members want to participate on that level.

In short, what was true for members as an undergraduate is true for alumnae members - you get out of your membership and organization what you put into it!
Old 05-10-2005, 06:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by PKTKKG
I think what tends to happen is that while we stress membership for a lifetime and our membership is for life, the participation of alumnae can be kind of hit or miss. It is not obligatory for an alumnae of Kappa to join the alumnae association although there are many, many associations across the country.

My experience in Kappa has been enhanced by my participation in my local Alumnae Association and by advising my undergraduate chapter. I became active as an alumnae because we had great advisors when I was in school. I just saw it as this is what you do when you graduate. However, not all members want to participate on that level.

In short, what was true for members as an undergraduate is true for alumnae members - you get out of your membership and organization what you put into it!

Great Post, dont think anyone could say it Better. A Trueism for sure to remember!

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 05-10-2005, 06:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DeltAlum
I think the answer to your question is yes...and no.

We have alumni chapters around the country, although they're pretty losely organized in many places. I suspect that's true of many if not most fraternities.

The sororities seem to me to have a much better organization of alumni chapters.

Finally, I suspect that all Greek letter organizations stress life-long membership and support, a lot of members don't thet the message and thus the "I used to be..." dialog.
Co-sign. And I'd like to add the following observation.

While it is nice - and even important - for alumni members to be as active as they can (join and participate in alumni chapters), I feel that upholding and following the fraternity's principals, ideals, objectives, creed etc. on a day to day basis *is* being active.
Old 05-10-2005, 07:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to jubilance1922 Send a message via Yahoo to jubilance1922
Quote:
Originally posted by TSteven
Co-sign. And I'd like to add the following observation.

While it is nice - and even important - for alumni members to be as active as they can (join and participate in alumni chapters), I feel that upholding and following the fraternity's principals, ideals, objectives, creed etc. on a day to day basis *is* being active.
Question: do alumni NPC/NIC members pay dues, both nationally and on a chapter basis? If you don't join an alumni chapter, do you have the option of still being financially active (we call that Member-at-large in Sigma Gamma Rho)? And do you have a life member catagory?

Just wondering.
Old 05-10-2005, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by jubilance1922
Question: do alumni NPC/NIC members pay dues, both nationally and on a chapter basis? If you don't join an alumni chapter, do you have the option of still being financially active (we call that Member-at-large in Sigma Gamma Rho)? And do you have a life member catagory?

Just wondering.
Yes, yes, and some groups do.
Old 05-10-2005, 11:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jubilance1922

Just wondering.
Though I know 33girl knows quite a bit about this, I have to disagree and say sometimes, yes, and yes, simply because not all NIC/NPC orgs require national dues after graduation. Chi Omega, for example, does not ask alumnae to pay national dues.
Old 05-10-2005, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Like I said before, aint no disrespect here...
Oh, absolutely none perceived.

As a former advisor and Division officer, I find it discouraging that we don't have more alumni involvement. It's tough finding advisors for all of our chapters, let alone getting brothers to alumni events.

We do take alumni initiates, but the process is long and tedious. I still think the women really have it figured out a whole lot better than we do. Of course I'm speaking for NIC groups. I don't know how it is in the D-9.

In Delt, there are no national alumni dues. (Our local chapter does ask for $20 a year, I think, and most of that is used for a couple of small scholarships for our chapters in Colorado). In any event, once you've paid you initiation fee, you're a member for life and get the magazine until you pass to the Chapter Eternal.

That's not to say that you don't get fund-raising pitches from the Educational foundation several times a year -- but that's a digression.
The above is the opinion of the poster which may or may not be based in known facts and does not necessarily reflect the views of Delta Tau Delta or Greek Chat -- but it might.

Last edited by DeltAlum; 05-10-2005 at 11:54 PM.
Old 05-11-2005, 12:04 AM
GreekChat Member

Many cities also have alumnae panhellenic groups (for all alumnae of NPC groups) and hold panhel-wide activities. I don't know if guys' GLOs do this though. I'm only familiar with NPC groups.
Old 05-11-2005, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by oncelurked
Though I know 33girl knows quite a bit about this, I have to disagree and say sometimes, yes, and yes, simply because not all NIC/NPC orgs require national dues after graduation. Chi Omega, for example, does not ask alumnae to pay national dues.
But they probably have some fee that they pay during their collegiate years that is earmarked as a "lifetime alumnae fee" or something of the like. I can't imagine that they would never ever have any sort of national alumnae dues - what would be the point of supporting alum chapters?

I was just trying to keep this one simple but I don't think we can.