GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,130
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zmaisongoogleto
» Online Users: 1,316
0 members and 1,316 guests
No Members online

Old 05-15-2001, 01:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Post Animal House and actual greek ties

Does anybody know about the cast and crew of Animal House and any greek background? I have been told that Delta Chis and Delta Tau Deltas were amoung the writers and directors of the film. According to Playboy, Faber College (in the movie) was modeled after Dartmouth. In one scene, the letters are being taken down, and it shows just a delta and chi, plus the song in the ending credits has the line "...and at Delta Chi ya can't go wrong." This seems to be a popular topic, espically with my friends in other fraternities, cause most want to stake their claim. Give me feedback, factual inormation only please!
Old 05-15-2001, 01:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Lightbulb

The school was definitely based on Dartmouth. The rest I'm not sure about.
Old 05-15-2001, 01:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to James Send a message via AIM to James
Alpha Epsilon Pi, oops sorry I meant alpha delta phi At Dartmouth . . .

Chris miller was one of the writers who was a member . . . there is another post on here with an article from him.

He writes/wrote for National Lampoon.

[This message has been edited by James (edited May 15, 2001).]
Old 05-15-2001, 04:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Talking

Two interesting mistakes that were made in the movie....

Flounder Drives a 1964 Lincoln in a movie that is set in 1962.
The movie, set in 1962, features "Louie, Louie", which did not come out until 1964.

Thought kinda funny! Sue
Old 05-15-2001, 06:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Studio 33 (aka The Bob Barker Studio), CBS Television City
Talking

Two of the three major writers were Harold Ramis (Zeta Psi) and Doug Kenney, then-editor of National Lampoon magazine, who played Stork ("Whatta hell we sposed ta do, ya mo-RAHN?!") who died in 1980 falling off a cliff while vacationing in Hawaii. The third writer, whose name I will have to look up, was also a Zeta Psi, and I think one of them pledged at Dartmouth, but I am not sure.

I'll get back to you.

Rain Man

[This message has been edited by Rain Man (edited May 15, 2001).]
Old 05-15-2001, 06:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to James Send a message via AIM to James
Duh, as is stated in the article I posted, it was Alpha Delta Phi that chris miller was a member of and wrote the story about.

Thank you 33girl for pointing that out to me . . . along with the dubious comments about my competency and ancestry . (j/k)
Old 05-15-2001, 07:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Wow, I had always heard that Animal House was based on my school, Southern Illinois University, because our D-Chi's were legendary for parties, and SIU was a nationally known party school. Also, I think Belushi may have attended school here for a little while. But, I do know for a fact that the COLLEGE shirt Belushi wears was originated at Gusto's Graphics in Carbondale.
Being based on Dartmouth would make more sense because it is a bigger school.
Old 05-15-2001, 08:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to amycat412
I wonder if alot of schools with big greek systems have the rumor that animal house was based there...

I went to USC and it was said it was based on our FIJI's too. But I do think the FIJI's cultivated the animal house 'tude. ha ha
Old 05-15-2001, 09:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Who you calling "boy"? The name's Hand Banana . . .
i've heard from a few d-chis and delts that animal house is based on their chapters at oregon (where the movie was actually filmed), usc, penn state, etc . . . i usually inform them that it's based on ADPhi at dartmouth, but it's pretty funny how these sorta rumors become national!
Old 08-05-2001, 05:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Cool

There are rumors everywhere about that movie. I know that Delta Tau Chi is based off of Delta Chi and Omega Theta Pi is based off of Beta Theta Pi. Being a Beta that doesn't flatter me too much. But nationally those are the reputations of DX and Beta. I have heard that it was based at Eastern Illinois and University of Illinios, but no one know that for sure. Also John Belushi did go to Southern Illiniois University and he added some of his own experience to the movie. Might I add I have a "college" shirt from the same place that he got his made at. (As if anyone cares) Faber College I know is supposed to be in TN because at the Student Council meeting there is a TN state flag next to the American Flag. I don't know what that's worth to ya, but there is a little more insight.
Old 08-05-2001, 09:01 PM
GreekChat Member

I've ALWAYS heard that Animal House was based on the Greek life at Dartmouth, even though Faber's in the South, and the town they're in is a LOT larger than Hanover (LOL). I'm sure that anyone watching it could tie it to their school. I know I've done it with mine.
Old 08-05-2001, 09:59 PM
GreekChat Member

The movie was shot at University of Oregon, and the Sigma Nu house was used for the Omega(?) house. The lot next door was vacant, and that's where they put the Delta Tau Chi house for the movie.
Old 08-12-2001, 03:22 PM
GreekChat Member

I've heard the same thing about my school, University of Wisc. - Whitewater. According to what I've heard, Belushi went here and either was a Teke or had ties to them, and that the movie was based off some of those experiences.

I could be wrong though
Old 08-12-2001, 07:35 PM
GreekChat Member

I've heard the same story. About Omega Theta Pi being based off Beta. Though, I'm not too crazy about it either.

Kevin

Quote:
Originally posted by Wooglin4Ever:
There are rumors everywhere about that movie. I know that Delta Tau Chi is based off of Delta Chi and Omega Theta Pi is based off of Beta Theta Pi. Being a Beta that doesn't flatter me too much. But nationally those are the reputations of DX and Beta. I have heard that it was based at Eastern Illinois and University of Illinios, but no one know that for sure. Also John Belushi did go to Southern Illiniois University and he added some of his own experience to the movie. Might I add I have a "college" shirt from the same place that he got his made at. (As if anyone cares) Faber College I know is supposed to be in TN because at the Student Council meeting there is a TN state flag next to the American Flag. I don't know what that's worth to ya, but there is a little more insight.
Old 08-12-2001, 09:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Re the Sigma Nu house at Oregon: I've seen it, toured the house, walked the campus. That's where the movie was shot.