GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Social
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,453
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, zamesyandext578
» Online Users: 2,315
0 members and 2,315 guests
No Members online

Old 07-17-2012, 11:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaeb View Post
Perhaps irrelevant at this point, but USC has a lovely thing that I guess is pretty specific to our campus: deliveries.

I have no clue how many other campuses do Monday Night Dinner and deliveries. I've talked to Greek friends at other schools, and they have no clue what I'm talking about, so I guess it isn't too common. If you don't know what it is, from 5-6pm on Mondays, all the sororities and fraternities have dinner in their houses before chapter, and all the members who aren't in class or out of town are supposed to be there. During the meal, the pledges/new mems go out on deliveries, where girls send gifts/baked goods to guys in fraternities, and guys do the same for women in sororities. The pledges/new mems are brought into the dining room, announce themselves and their house affiliation, and distribute the gifts from their house. Same-sex deliveries (usually sorority-to-sorority) are dropped off at the door. Also, student orgs et al who want to speak to the entire Greek community go from house to house with announcements, telling the houses about what they're doing or selling or whatever.

I believe it is a common practice at the beginning of the semester for sororities to send out "social deliveries" to the new social chairs of each fraternity, and for the fraternities to do likewise with the sororities. It's a good way to establish good relations and open the door to communication—usually there will be a note with the social deliveries saying "Hey, my name is Jane Smith, I'm the social chair for Alpha Alpha Alpha, and we'd be interested in having a mixer with your fraternity! My phone number is 555-123-4567" or something along those lines (that's definitely not what it says exactly, I can't remember it word for word).

Obviously, that's specific to schools that do deliveries/MND, and if you're at one of those schools, you probably already know about social deliveries, but if you're not, maybe try baking cookies and bringing them with you next time you serenade, with a note attached from your social chair saying you'd like to have a mixer?

Other opinions?
We had this at Illinois, but it wasn't nearly as regimented (i.e. not everyone did it), so if a fraternity came by and brought treats to, for example, congratulate us on our new pledge class a week after rush, it definitely made an impression.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )