GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,126
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, babobygooglet93
» Online Users: 1,024
1 members and 1,023 guests
MethrenLusia

Old 06-15-2012, 05:40 PM
GreekChat Member

On a somewhat related issue, is there a typical/average retention percentage for colonies? Has that number changed over time?
Old 06-15-2012, 06:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubaiSis View Post
I bet Ole Miss will wait and see how it goes with Arkansas and colonize one, two, three or more all at once depending on how smoothly it goes. They certainly have the numbers to justify a mass introduction of chapters, but they don't want any to fail so it has to be done just right. I think doubling the size of their total panhellenic in one swoop probably isn't the greatest idea however. There are traditions and processes that would probably be lost with literally a 1000 new members with no historical reference from which to draw. May 2, 2, 2, over 8 or 10 years? It also wouldn't surprise me if the colonies fix a number they want to pledge that doesn't necessarily correlate to average chapter size or anything.

These huge colonies are going to test the way it's done! I've noticed over the last year or two that the colonies are not pledging to 100% of what they're allowed, and I could see in a place like Ole Miss that this would continue. Maybe they'll only pledge to 50% of allowed capacity and then do another round the next semester to allow themselves time to grow a bit more gently and allow the existing chapters to shrink more gently. It will be interesting to see how it all plays out.
I don't know if they would want to do such a low number as 50% of allowed. You don't want to be too small compared to the other chapters. I think they would go as close to 100% of the allowed capacity as long as they have enough quality PNMs.
Old 06-15-2012, 11:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUZeta View Post
With expectations of new member classes near 150, can you imagine the size that the colonies will be? 300?
Campus Chapter Total is already 300 at Ole Miss.
Old 06-15-2012, 11:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryPoppins View Post
Campus Chapter Total is already 300 at Ole Miss.
If chapter total is 300 and the pledge classes could be close to 150...wow I cannot imagine being in a chapter of 450!
Old 06-15-2012, 11:34 PM
GreekChat Member

That chapter size blows my mind! It would be so hard to find space for chapter meetings or social functions. Even though it's a large university, there are probably only one or two large auditoriums that could be used for chapter. Surely the chapter house facilities were not built to accommodate such large numbers. How do you do initiation? In shifts?
Old 06-16-2012, 12:49 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xidelt View Post
That chapter size blows my mind! It would be so hard to find space for chapter meetings or social functions. Even though it's a large university, there are probably only one or two large auditoriums that could be used for chapter. Surely the chapter house facilities were not built to accommodate such large numbers. How do you do initiation? In shifts?
Ole Miss is not that big.

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 06-16-2012, 01:29 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOII Angel View Post
Ole Miss is not that big.
Au contraire. We have many locations with proper auditoriums. The Ford Center, the Music School, the new Khayat Law Center, the old Chapel, the new Chapel, the old Law School and on ad inifinitum. Please come visit Newsweek's #1 Most Beautiful Campus!
Old 06-16-2012, 09:15 AM
GreekChat Member

Mary Poppins, I do not think AOII Angel meant to offend. I believe what AOII Angel meant was Ole Miss not does not have that large a student population in relationship to campus total. 20,000 students with a campus total of 300 vs 50,000 at UF with campus total of 185. Ole Miss is a beautiful campus and great town. If you have never experience the Grove on a football weekend then you have missed a "happening". That being said, pledge classes and chapters that large lose something in the ability to bond as a group. I think we can all agree that Ole Miss could benefit greatly from expansion.
Old 06-16-2012, 11:15 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggforever View Post
Mary Poppins, I do not think AOII Angel meant to offend. I believe what AOII Angel meant was Ole Miss not does not have that large a student population in relationship to campus total. 20,000 students with a campus total of 300 vs 50,000 at UF with campus total of 185. Ole Miss is a beautiful campus and great town. If you have never experience the Grove on a football weekend then you have missed a "happening". That being said, pledge classes and chapters that large lose something in the ability to bond as a group. I think we can all agree that Ole Miss could benefit greatly from expansion.
Thanks, ggforever. That is exactly what I meant. Mary Poppins, Ole Miss is a lovely campus, and has higher than usual Greek participation was my only point.

AOII

Old 06-16-2012, 12:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggforever View Post
We Ole Miss people can get defensive about our Alma Mater, I apologize for seeming to take any umbrage with AOIIAngel. We have worked hard to lose the image burned in so many minds in the past. Ole Miss - Oxford Campus will be over 16,500 students this Fall and continues to grow at an extra rapid pace. We truly welcome the interest of so many NPC interest groups! The projected new member class size is mind boggling and the sooner we can install a new chapter absolutely the better it will be in my opinion. I am truly fortunate to live within minutes of The Grove and within the city limits of one of Mississippi's crown jewels (Oxford.)

AOIIAngel, I enjoy reading your submissions on Greekchat
Old 06-16-2012, 12:37 PM
GreekChat Member

And No, I do not know where you can stay for the sold out Ole Miss Home games this year. Perhaps you might find a reservation in Memphis?
Old 06-16-2012, 03:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryPoppins View Post
We Ole Miss people can get defensive about our Alma Mater, I apologize for seeming to take any umbrage with AOIIAngel. We have worked hard to lose the image burned in so many minds in the past. Ole Miss - Oxford Campus will be over 16,500 students this Fall and continues to grow at an extra rapid pace. We truly welcome the interest of so many NPC interest groups! The projected new member class size is mind boggling and the sooner we can install a new chapter absolutely the better it will be in my opinion. I am truly fortunate to live within minutes of The Grove and within the city limits of one of Mississippi's crown jewels (Oxford.)

AOIIAngel, I enjoy reading your submissions on Greekchat
My best friend from residency is an Ole Miss alum. We have a good time making fun of each others' sports teams' exploits. He lived in Tupelo for a few years after residency, but unfortunately we never met up for the LSU/Ole Miss football game like we said we would.

AOII

Old 06-16-2012, 05:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOII Angel View Post
My best friend from residency is an Ole Miss alum. We have a good time making fun of each others' sports teams' exploits. He lived in Tupelo for a few years after residency, but unfortunately we never met up for the LSU/Ole Miss football game like we said we would.
Alas, this year's game is in Red Stick. My NOLA High School buddies (bunches went to LSU) and I keep threatening to tail gate but never do. I went to LSUBR for my freshman year, but thankfully saw the light.
Old 06-16-2012, 05:31 PM
GreekChat Member

I just heard that Alpha Phi was coming to LSU. Do any of you ladies know if that is true? I know my daughter said that several groups toured the campus during recruitment this year and that they were all Alpha sororities so it seems like it could very well be true.
Old 06-16-2012, 05:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tootiepie2 View Post
I just heard that Alpha Phi was coming to LSU. Do any of you ladies know if that is true? I know my daughter said that several groups toured the campus during recruitment this year and that they were all Alpha sororities so it seems like it could very well be true.
Upthread there was talk of Alpha Phi presenting, but no word as of yet of them being chosen to colonize (though likely just a technicality.)

AOII