GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Fraternity Recruitment

Fraternity Recruitment Recruitment event ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 602
2 members and 600 guests
Low D Flat, naraht

Old 05-02-2008, 10:51 AM
GreekChat Member

How is your Fraternity Rush structured?

Okay, so this year I'm a Rho Chi (Rush Counselor) and have to guide the little fratpups through rush...that being said...how does it work at your University?

Ours is very structured to the point of the girls...but I'll start..

We have 14 fraternities on our campus now (when I rushed, it was only 12 or 13)... the first two days are round one. Every rushee goes to every house in round one. On the first day you go to seven houses, on the second day, a different set of seven houses. Each "party" lasts for 20 minutes, and you have 10 minutes to get to the next house. Each party will hold somewhere around 40-45 guys in it. People give speeches about alumni etc, the speaker stands up says "guys stand up and meet my brothers", and you get to talk to them for 10 minutes. At the end of the 2nd day, you sit with your rho chi's and one by one they give you a list of fraternities that want you back. If you have more than 6, you cut fraternities down to 6 (or maybe 7...this year..half it)
On the 3rd day, you go to each of the 6 houses you picked for 30 minutes...with 10 minutes to get from house to house. That night you cut them down to 3.
On the 4th day (pref night), you go to the 3 houses you had left and get to talk for an hour and twenty minutes.
That night order the 3 from favorite to least favorite. Get your bids at 12 noon on the next day (Sunday).

That was kind of long, but if you have a short version, lets hear it.
Overall, though, it's the bigness of the car that counts the most. Because when something bad happens in a really big car – accidentally speeding through the middle of a gang of unruly young people who have been taunting you in a drive-in restaurant, for instance – it happens very far away – way out at the end of your fenders. It's like a civil war in Africa; you know, it doesn't really concern you too much. - P.J. O'Rourke
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 05-02-2008, 11:46 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to banditone
Wow. That just reminded me how much I hate formal rush.
Old 05-02-2008, 12:31 PM

I'm confused on two issues.

1 - You say that when you rushed there were only 12 or 13 houses. But, I thought you previously stated that you pledged and joined at LSU.

2 - Did they make a special exemption for you to be a Rho Chi? Rho Chi's at Arkansas (at least according to my friend in the Greek Life office) have to be active and affiliated the semester before rush. By your own admittance you are not enrolled this semester and had refused to affiliate with the chapter at Arkansas.

If you could just clear this up, it would be appreciated.

I'll support the RedWolves, but in my heart I'll always be an ASU Indian. Go Tribe! (1931-2008)

Last edited by LaneSig; 05-02-2008 at 03:11 PM. Reason: Grammar
Old 05-02-2008, 12:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaneSig View Post
I'm confused on two issues.

1 - You say that you when you rushed there were only 12 or 13 houses. But, I thought you previously stated that you pledged and joined at LSU.

2 - Did they make a special exemption for you to be a Rho Chi? Rho Chi's at Arkansas (at least according to my friend in the Greek Life office) have to be active and affiliated the semester before rush. By your own admittance you are not enrolled this semester and had refused to affiliate with the chapter at Arkansas.

If you could just clear this up, it would be appreciated.
I was just thinking the same thing.
This OP not only seems to change background a great deal, but this is the first time they have claimed not to know something.
Usually they post as if they know everything, about everyone, everywhere.
And in prior postings, indicated that they were off campus this year, and did not know what was going on
Old 05-02-2008, 12:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elephant Walk View Post
Okay, so this year I'm a Rho Chi (Rush Counselor) and have to guide the little fratpups through rush...that being said...how does it work at your University?

Ours is very structured to the point of the girls...but I'll start..

We have 14 fraternities on our campus now (when I rushed, it was only 12 or 13)... the first two days are round one. Every rushee goes to every house in round one. On the first day you go to seven houses, on the second day, a different set of seven houses. Each "party" lasts for 20 minutes, and you have 10 minutes to get to the next house. Each party will hold somewhere around 40-45 guys in it. People give speeches about alumni etc, the speaker stands up says "guys stand up and meet my brothers", and you get to talk to them for 10 minutes. At the end of the 2nd day, you sit with your rho chi's and one by one they give you a list of fraternities that want you back. If you have more than 6, you cut fraternities down to 6 (or maybe 7...this year..half it)
On the 3rd day, you go to each of the 6 houses you picked for 30 minutes...with 10 minutes to get from house to house. That night you cut them down to 3.
On the 4th day (pref night), you go to the 3 houses you had left and get to talk for an hour and twenty minutes.
That night order the 3 from favorite to least favorite. Get your bids at 12 noon on the next day (Sunday).

That was kind of long, but if you have a short version, lets hear it.
What an interesting process!
Old 05-02-2008, 01:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Monday-Thursday
9-12
Go to houses, meet guys, get a bid.
12-2
Every fraternity rents out a different bar
Old 05-02-2008, 02:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon1856 View Post
This OP not only seems to change background a great deal, but this is the first time they have claimed not to know something.
And in prior postings, indicated that they were off campus this year, and did not know what was going on

I am being confused also!

Sounds strangely like a wantabee who acts like an I am?

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 05-02-2008, 03:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon1856 View Post
Old 05-02-2008, 05:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaneSig View Post
By your own admittance you are not enrolled this semester
Never said I wasn't enrolled.

Said I was not on campus. I'm currently taking 6 hours at the UofA...but not in the same Hemisphere. Enjoy that mindfuck.

I kind of like how formal our process is. It forces people to consider every house...even if some are wastes of time.
Overall, though, it's the bigness of the car that counts the most. Because when something bad happens in a really big car – accidentally speeding through the middle of a gang of unruly young people who have been taunting you in a drive-in restaurant, for instance – it happens very far away – way out at the end of your fenders. It's like a civil war in Africa; you know, it doesn't really concern you too much. - P.J. O'Rourke
Old 05-02-2008, 08:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SECdomination View Post
And because we have no cuts, we sometimes get guys coming back that we don't want. We have one brother that is responsible for making sure they know not to come back. Sucks for him too, but I actually think he really enjoys it!
You don't necessarily need IFC to make cuts, you can just have 1 or 2 open house parties and make subsequent parties be invite only (make calls and have rushees check in with brothers who have a guest list), and explain that to every rushee that comes to open house right before they leave. You'd still have to make calls, but you could delegate that to 3-4 brothers so one person doesn't have to do all the calling.

If you have 2-3 brothers greeting and checking in rushees that were invited back at the door, you won't have guys you don't want at the party, and that means you don't have to waste time talking to guys you would never bid(and money on the food they may eat), which means focusing more time and energy on the guys you do want. Even if a rushee is so thick skulled to show up at the house after not being called (and informed of the "we'll call you" policy), the brothers with the list at the door can explain to him that he was not invited back, encourage him to check out other fraternities, etc.

Last edited by violetpretty; 05-02-2008 at 08:46 PM.
Old 05-02-2008, 09:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

Said I was not on campus. I'm currently taking 6 hours at the UofA...but not in the same Hemisphere. Enjoy that mindfuck.

I kind of like how formal our process is. It forces people to consider every house...even if some are wastes of time.

Correct me if I am wrong, but don't you need to carry a full courseload to be active in a GLO, let alone be an officer? I thought that it was standard?

Old 05-02-2008, 09:51 PM
GreekChat Member

We don't have "formal rush."
Thank God..

On Monday you get the chance to meet all the fraternities during a 5-10 minute presentation for each one, and then after that you just go to the different events the fraternity is doing throughout the week. And the "Meet the Fraternities" thing isn't even mandatory for rushees.

If I was forced to have visited/talked to/mingle with every fraternity I would've killed myself.

Last edited by PANTHERTEKE; 05-02-2008 at 09:59 PM.
Old 05-02-2008, 11:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ree-Xi View Post
Correct me if I am wrong, but don't you need to carry a full courseload to be active in a GLO, let alone be an officer? I thought that it was standard?
Rules are not the same everywhere.
Old 05-03-2008, 12:17 AM

Quote:

Said I was not on campus. I'm currently taking 6 hours at the UofA...but not in the same Hemisphere.
Well, that answers one question. What about the others? Did they grant you an exemption? You have to be carrying a full course load and be affiliated with a chapter the semester before rush. You've said that you refuse to affiliate with a bunch of "Shanes". Did you change your mind?

Just curious.

I'll support the RedWolves, but in my heart I'll always be an ASU Indian. Go Tribe! (1931-2008)
Old 05-03-2008, 02:31 AM
GreekChat Member

I dont know.
We have a big BBQ and then the PNMs just start rolling in for a few hours every day for like four or five days. We invite some back and stuff. I don't know the exact rules. I just meet the ones I like and then vote on bids. Regardless, the system works.