GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,292
2 members and 1,290 guests
LaneSig

Old 07-30-2000, 08:16 PM

Angry judgmental

i need some advice from somebody. i was trying to talk some of my friends into going through rush w/ me b/c it seems like it would be a good experience. however, they informed me that they were not doing it for various reasons(transferring, too expensive...etc). i respect their decision so i dropped it, but decided that i am going to go through rush because i want to see what greek life has to offer. the thing that upsets me though is the negative comments people(not my friends)are making about sororities.i heard everything from it is just buying your friends to they r nothing but drunken sluts.i think it is so wrong to pre-judge people like that. any advice on what to say to them?
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 07-30-2000, 09:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Smile

Anonymous, a wise person once told me that, since a lot of the topics that are brought up have been discussed before, it is a great idea to do a search first just to check and see if your question has already been answered. I don't know if you're new to these forums, so I'll be of some assistance o.k.? Just go into the right hand corner of your screen and click on the word "Search". Once your in the "search" screen, type in the key words of the topic you wish to look up and you should find something. I took the liberty of doing the search for you
Just type in "Family Problem" in the Alpha Kappa Alpha forum...and TADA...there's youtr answer! Hope it helps!
Old 07-30-2000, 11:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by preppie:
As the prior post probably didn't help you too much, here's my advice.
My post was meant more to advise on how to use the search screen to find answers to questions that may have been already discussed repeatedly and in detail, and not as my own personal answer to the actual question. This advice, in addition to any other comments/replies will, I'm sure, assist Anonymous greatly.
Old 07-31-2000, 12:38 AM
GreekChat Member

I have heard a lot of those things to...usually mearing in jest...but still, I hear that paying for your friends thing alot. However...you pay to be in an organization, as you do any organization you want to join. Plus, although you pay...doesn't mean they are all your friends...you will find the best of friends in your sorority and you will find that you hang out with some people more than others...however, you didn't purchase these people.
As for the drunken thing...who cares what other people say. You should have fun and do whatever you want. My sorority has a imagine of being lushes, however, I don't drink...and for a while, I was the only one in the sorority that didn't drink. I loved every minute of it. Take things how you want to...but don't take them to heart. Have your fun and disregard what other people say
Old 07-31-2000, 03:15 AM
GreekChat Member

Just go with your heart. Many people don't like what they don't know about or understand, you just be you and all else will fall into place.
Old 07-31-2000, 11:51 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to Eli
I like the quote, "If I were going to pay for my friends, then I certainly did not pay enough."

Think nothing of those who do not understand the Greek Life and make futile attemts to make explanations for us. It is not about money (the money is only for insurance, parties etc). They just dont know, so pay no heed to them. It would be like me going to the man who fills my car with gasoline, and asking him to teach me an advanced business class. It just makes no sense.

As for time/friends ratio... a fraternity/sorority is like a family. What better place is there to be except in the presence of those who love you?

As for what to say,
Just ignore them and tell them they have no idea, and and shold not speak about things of which they have no concept.

Hope this helps,
Easy E www.angelfire.com/va2/gammachi
Old 07-31-2000, 04:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Wink

Preppie, you are absolutely right! The fact that she isn't registered, and therefore can't get into the other forums, totally slipped my mind. My bad!
Old 07-31-2000, 11:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Question

I was under the impression that an unregistered can read posts in other forums, but cannot post messages.