GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,253
1 members and 2,252 guests
Sciencewoman

Old 12-17-2015, 02:50 PM
GreekChat Member

What are my chances? Unique situation at USC

Okay so basically I have always wanted to join a fraternity despite not being American because of the aspect of brotherhood, emphasis on community work, personal success and social immersion. However, there are two reasons which make me think getting a bid will be difficult.

Please let me know your honest opinions, outlined below are the problems I foresee:

Basically, I am a student in Europe which will be exchanging on a semester abroad program to the University of South Carolina fall semester of 2016. I emailed various of the fraternities at the university and they all said it is still possible to join as an exchange student staying for one semester. I will be 20 years old when I am there. Does this make it significantly harder to join? Note, I do not mind if it's a harder challenge to get a bid just as long as it's somewhat doable.

Secondly, I have a tattoo on each forearm (they can be covered even if I roll up my sleeves), one on my ankle and my hip. I come from a well-off background, have been in private schools my whole life, I dress what you Americans would call preppy, I love sports, have good grades and I am extremely sociable and outgoing. The reason for my tattoos stems from the fact that I have lived in 6 countries, this has led to me having a huge amount of different experiences and ending up in many strange situations. Furthermore, I have done modeling and in the fashion environment tattoos were largely popular (I've also trained combat sports and it was also very accepted in that environment). I don't like the idea of covering these tattoos by wearing button-downs the whole time because I want to be able to be myself, but I have heard fraternities hate tattoos, is this true? Again, as long as it doesn't make it impossible to join I don't mind, I just want to have realistic approximations on my chances.

Last edited by holachiquilla; 12-18-2015 at 03:49 AM.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 12-17-2015, 09:10 PM

There are some fraternities that will be open to your exchange student status and tattoos, and some that will not. Cast a wide net and check out as many fraternities as you can during rush week.
Old 12-18-2015, 11:50 AM
GreekChat Member

Tattoos are so common these days that I don't really see that as a hindrance. As far as the exchange student thing, that could be a problem, but some group will probably be open to it. Normally the guys only look at a few fraternities to rush. In your case I'd probably look at a wider group and don't spend too much time looking at the most prestigious groups on campus. They probably won't want to give up a spot for a short-termer that could go to a guy who will be paying for 4 years. Money IS part of the whole equation after all. On the other hand, if the word before your first name is PRINCE, then, you know, the answer will change.
Old 12-19-2015, 04:27 PM
GreekChat Member

One thing that is essential to keep in mind is that despite what many may say here, in my experience a significant percentage of college fraternities will still haze, many quite severely. Not something I enjoy about the system, but I'd be lying if I told you that this isn't the case, ESPECIALLY at any schools with strong fraternal traditions (of which South Carolina I would assume is one). Anecdotally speaking, I do not know one friend of mine that was in a fraternity that was not hazed to some degree. Most went through an actual structured hazing pledge program, that could last from maybe 8-12 weeks.

So, if you are joining for a semester only, keep in mind that it may actually be with limited membership and not remotely a fun experience...it sounds like you might be initiated for a couple of weeks at best, and enjoy full membership privileges.

Also keep in mind that all fraternities will tell you that they do not haze during rush.
Old 12-19-2015, 04:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubaiSis View Post
In your case I'd probably look at a wider group and don't spend too much time looking at the most prestigious groups on campus..
This x100.
Old 12-19-2015, 07:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubaiSis View Post
Tattoos are so common these days that I don't really see that as a hindrance.
Sorry, one last thing, in many places yes, I'd agree with you. In California or the Mid-West or wherever I don't think tattoos would necessarily be an issue. However, this is an SEC school. Tattoos may very well be a deal breaker with the "old guard" groups on this campus, just another reason why I would encourage the OP to look primarily at less stereotypical/more alternative chapters.

To the OP, you are attending school in probably the most traditional area of our country, where things have been done "a certain way" in the Greek system for decades upon decades and probably always will be. Some like this aspect of the south, some don't, but this is arguably the type of school that is least likely to pledge an "untraditional" student for whatever reason (with tattoos, European background, and exchange status). There are "traditional" students that have a Southern background, dress the part, and yet still don't get a bid for even less extreme reasons than you have. It's just a very conservative atmosphere compared to, say, universities in California or the Mid-West or many parts of the Northeast. This is why I'd investigate fraternities that may be more alternative compared to the "good ol boy" chapters where most of the members are from the south.