GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,328
2 members and 2,326 guests
Cookiez17

Old 07-24-2000, 04:58 PM
Goldenstar

Post honorary members

To all members of Greek letter organizations, do you think that honorary membership is valid in this day and age? Do you think all interested parties should pay to be apart of your organizations?
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 07-24-2000, 05:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Question

I'm curious as to what you mean by this question. Is there something that makes it less valid today than in the past, do you think?
Old 07-24-2000, 05:47 PM
Chrystine

Honorary membership has not changed. These members are nothing more than figure heads. On top of this hon. members have money, without money this organization could not survive. I'm a sure membership is extents to such individuals with the hope that they while generously contribute to the organization. Besides, without prominent members some organizations would never get interestees.
Old 07-24-2000, 05:50 PM
Chrystine

Please excuse my typos:-)
Old 07-25-2000, 12:26 AM
GreekChat Member

i believe honorary members, at least in SAI's sake, are an integral part of our organization. in SAI's case, they help make connections between the professional music world, and our little world of music. when i was pledging, our honorary members were people to look up to, musicians with some of the highest skills in thier field. i really look up to some of our honorary members like beverly sills and jesseye norman. marion anderson is an honorary member, and what a role model she is!

i disagree that honorary members are figure heads. they're honorary for a reason. what is thier field of study? why were they selected as an honorary member? these are things to think about when regarding the status of your members. it's very important.

etienne
sigma alpha iota-the hartt school of music

------------------
"red is the color of music and has been since the very earliest of times. the caps of faeries and musicians are well-nigh always red."~*~w.b.yeats

"I think that happiness is when you can let yourself feel every emotion you want at any time instead of being a lying little fuck." - Tori Amos
Old 07-25-2000, 12:54 AM
gloriajean

Question

Quote:
Originally posted by Goldenstar:
To all members of Greek letter organizations, do you think that honorary membership is valid in this day and age?
It is hard to say. I suppose the same question could be asked, should honorary degrees be bestowed upon people? After all, it is not as though one can receive an honorary law degree and can run out the next day and practice law. I wonder why this practice exists? (Author's Note: Jimmy Carter has received the most honorary degrees of anyone else in the world. It got to the point where he had to start turning them down!)
Old 07-25-2000, 09:09 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to equeen
My opinion: it honestly depends on why an org. is offering the honorary membership, and the person accepting it. If there's no meaning beyond recognizing a noteworthy individual and getting a few minutes of press time for your org....to me, that doesn't mean much.

------------------
equeen
A Lioness has her Pride!
@>--;--
Alpha Sigma Kappa - Women in Technical Studies
Old 07-28-2000, 10:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Sure it is valid. We chose honorary members based on what they have done in the community and how they have made a difference in the world. Honorary members are women who have made a remarkable difference through preserverance and talent.
Old 07-31-2000, 09:57 AM
GreekChat Member

I just got back from my fraternity's general assembly, and saw and met several honorary brothers. They were all initiated for the service they did for LCA, not because they were rich or famous.

------------------
Steve Corbin
Lambda Chi Alpha
Theta Kappa Chapter
Rose-Hulman Inst. of Tech.