GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,456
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, zatylerahvso465
» Online Users: 2,166
5 members and 2,161 guests
Cookiez17, PGD-GRAD, Xidelt

Old 09-11-2006, 08:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Rho Chis/Rho Gammas?

Does anyone know how or why people started calling their Recruitment Guides by Greek letters? Is it just because everything sounds cooler as a Greek letter, or is there some significant reason behind it?
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 09-11-2006, 08:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDIfly
Does anyone know how or why people started calling their Recruitment Guides by Greek letters? Is it just because everything sounds cooler as a Greek letter, or is there some significant reason behind it?
Rho Chi corresponds to "Recruitment Counselor." Since most fraternities/sororities have Greek letters that stand for English words/phrases...it just makes sense that it would carry over into other aspects of Greek life.

I'm not sure why some schools switched from Rho Chi to Gamma Chi or Rho Psi or anything like that though.

To let my lyre send forth the chords of love, unselfishness and sincerity
Old 09-11-2006, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariesrising
Rho Chi is the name of an actual fraternity. The official NPC term is Rho Gamma (Recruitment Guide). My school uses Pi Gamma though, and I've heard of dozens of other terms.
www.rhochi.org/

Rho Chi is an honor society that finally got around to making a deal about it enough that the NPC had to change the name. All schools were allowed to use an appropriate substitute while they took suggestions and votes on the new names. I believe my school uses Sigma Rho Chi instead of Rho Gamma.
Old 09-11-2006, 09:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Sigma Rho Chi is the formal name adopted by NPC for Sorority Recruitment Counselors once it was discovered there was a pre-professional/honor society called Rho Chi.
Old 09-11-2006, 09:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Wow, that sounds pretty uptight of Rho Chi. I would think it would always be pretty clear whether someone was talking about Rho Chi the person or Rho Chi the society... not much chance of confusion, really.

So, why go through all the trouble of saying "Sigma Rho Chi" (what a mouthful!) when you could just say "RC" or "RG" in english? Also, what other greek letters do fraternities and sororities use for normal english phrases?
Old 09-11-2006, 09:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDIfly
Wow, that sounds pretty uptight of Rho Chi. I would think it would always be pretty clear whether someone was talking about Rho Chi the person or Rho Chi the society... not much chance of confusion, really.

So, why go through all the trouble of saying "Sigma Rho Chi" (what a mouthful!) when you could just say "RC" or "RG" in english? Also, what other greek letters do fraternities and sororities use for normal english phrases?
Because the Greek phrases are all in fun, I guess (???)

Sometimes sororities'/fraternities' open mottos correspond to the first letters of their Greek letters. Not always though. I can't think of any other examples off the top of my head, although I'm sure I'm missing something obvious.

The other phrases tend to be sorority/fraternity secrets.

To let my lyre send forth the chords of love, unselfishness and sincerity
Old 09-11-2006, 09:44 PM
GreekChat Member

We still use Rho Chi and won't change because that's ridiculous.
Old 09-11-2006, 09:46 PM
GreekChat Member

We changed 3 years ago from Rho Chi to Pi Chi.
Old 09-11-2006, 11:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to gphiangel624
Maybe I've just missed it, but where in the Manual of Information ("Greenbook") does it say that the official NPC term is "Rho Gamma" or "Sigma Rho Chi?" I've never seen that change- the only official term I've seen in the Greenbook is "Recruitment Counselor."
Old 09-11-2006, 11:44 PM

We went from Rho Chi to Sigma Rho Chi (Sorority Recruitment Counselor), but everyone just calls them SRC's and most of their shirts just say SRC.

Lakers Nation.
Old 09-12-2006, 01:06 PM
GreekChat Member

I believe the official NPC term IS "Recruitment Counselor."
Old 09-12-2006, 01:17 PM
GreekChat Member

When Rho Chi academic society expressed its concern over the name in the winter of 2002, NPC requested that all college panhellenics cease calling their Recruitment Counselors "Rho Chis," and instructed them to call them Recruitment Counselors. They then solicited names and announced that Sigma Rho Chi was the winner of a new Greek name for the counselors (it stood for Sorority Recruitment Counselor). They encouraged college Panhellenics to use Sigma Rho Chi or to use another name of their choosing so long as it was not Rho Chi.

Personally, I think that they should only be called Recruitment Counselors. The people they serve are very new to Greek Life and it is hard enough to keep track of all the new letters floating around.

Last edited by adpiucf; 09-12-2006 at 01:19 PM.
Old 09-12-2006, 04:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDIfly View Post
So, why go through all the trouble of saying "Sigma Rho Chi" (what a mouthful!) when you could just say "RC" or "RG" in english?
I'm sure many people do shorten it and use the English equivalent. Just like many might say "A" for Alpha etc.

I was told from a 'guide' many years back that there were a couple of unofficial reasons for using Rho Chi or Sigma Rho Chi etc. First reason was to get the PNMs use to hearing/using Greek letters. Second reason given was that since these "guides" had to disaffiliate during recruitment (or what ever time line mandated by their specific university), they were in affect in their own Greek organization. In some cases, even taking a "pledge" to this "organization" as it were. On some campuses, the "guides" even roomed together during recruitment. As such, they bonded as would any other GLO.
Old 09-12-2006, 06:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to WhiteDaisy128
Quote:
Sometimes sororities'/fraternities' open mottos correspond to the first letters of their Greek letters. Not always though. I can't think of any other examples off the top of my head, although I'm sure I'm missing something obvious.
Like DG -- Do Good!!
Old 09-12-2006, 06:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to HeavenslilAngel Send a message via AIM to HeavenslilAngel Send a message via Yahoo to HeavenslilAngel
like ASA Aspire Seek Attain