GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Risk Management - Hazing & etc.
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Risk Management - Hazing & etc. This forum covers Risk Management topics such as: Hazing, Alcohol Abuse/Awareness, Date Rape Awareness, Eating Disorder Prevention, Liability, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,429
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Zae_TheCreator
» Online Users: 2,438
1 members and 2,437 guests
Xidelt

Old 10-19-2007, 04:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Arkansas: Chapters May Be Billed for "Paint War" Damage

The October 19 issue of the Arkansas Traveler has a report on damages allegedly caused by a "paint war" involving at least two NPC sororities and one IFC fraternity. Apparently a lot of paint ended up on one of the notable campus landmarks, the Senior Walk. A little paint reportedly was left in the Greek Theater, too.

http://media.www.thetraveleronline.c...-3042776.shtml

Edited to add: You may have to register with the paper's site in order to view anything on it.

The same issue of the paper has an editorial about the alleged incident.

Last edited by exlurker; 10-19-2007 at 04:30 PM.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 10-19-2007, 11:32 PM
Super Moderator

I hope that Senior Walk and the theatre aren't permanently damaged; they're so precious to the university.
Old 10-20-2007, 04:43 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to ZTABullwinkle
What is the "Senior Walk"? (Not from Arkansas, so I thought I would ask the obvious question as to its importance.)

"Even in our sleep, pain which cannot forget, falls drop by drop upon our hearts. Until against our will comes the wisdom of God."
Old 10-20-2007, 09:29 AM
Super Moderator

I'll post this link. I think my name is in front of the Student Union but haven't been back to look for it since graduation.

http://arkalum.org/traditions/seniorwalk.php
Old 10-20-2007, 09:44 AM
GreekChat Member

That is a wonderful tradition!
Old 10-20-2007, 03:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnation View Post
I hope that Senior Walk and the theatre aren't permanently damaged; they're so precious to the university.
carnation, just from what the article, editorial, and picture in the Traveler said and showed, it looks like the damage is not permanent -- just a mess that's going to be moderately expensive to clean up. The "abstract" that the Traveler has posted along with the editorial says

The incident of the paint war on the Old Main lawn raises a number of social issues pertaining to Greek life on campus. Gary Crain of the UA Police Department said members of the Tri Delta sorority, the Kappa delta sorority and the Sigma Alpha Epsilon fraternity were involved in a paint fight, the results of which could cost thousands of dollars to clean up....
Old 10-21-2007, 08:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to ZTABullwinkle
Quote:
Originally Posted by catiebug View Post
That is a wonderful tradition!

This is a wonderful tradition. Thanks for the link to the "traditions" there.

"Even in our sleep, pain which cannot forget, falls drop by drop upon our hearts. Until against our will comes the wisdom of God."
Old 01-23-2008, 04:01 AM
GreekChat Member

Location: From Rockford IL but go to school at Southern Illinois University Carbondale
Send a message via AIM to jmagnus
I don't see how it could cost 1000-3000 to clean up. My dad owns a pressure washer and I have stripped an entire 2 car, free-standing (4 walls) brick garage in about 3 hours...without etching it at all. Unless maintenance gets a couple hundred an hour there is no way it could cost that much.

And you can see from the picture that there is no permanent damage. It looks like the names are either stamped or drawn into the concrete. How can a little paint hurt something that is outside, exposed to the elements, 24/7?
Old 02-16-2008, 08:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Paint wars at Arkansas have gotten completely out of hand. I have a daughter on campus and when I learned that one of her organized, sanctioned social events was to join with another sorority and throw paint (real housepaint) on two other fraternities, I couldn't believe it. The girls go out and buy clothes (Target, WalMart) shoes, hat, etc to wear during this activity because everything they have on is totally ruined during the event. All participants are covered from head to toe in paint. Usually they head off to a pep rally afterwards. I am sure it is fun - like a food fight can be fun - but it does have the risk of causing property damage. Imagine 200+ people doing this. I don't remember if it is pledge classes that do it or the whole chapter. (but if whole chapters are involved, then the number participating would be larger) It is a mob scene.

Why can't they throw marshmellow cream on each other? Water balloons? chocolate pudding?
Old 02-18-2008, 03:50 PM
Banned

Or even tempera or poster paint? House paint has got to be a nightmare to get off of your skin and hair, even if you throw the clothes away.
________
Web Shows

Last edited by Low C Sharp; 09-20-2011 at 04:57 PM.
Old 02-18-2008, 04:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low C Sharp View Post
Or even tempera or poster paint? House paint has got to be a nightmare to get off of your skin and hair, even if you throw the clothes away.
Not to mention potentially toxic and dangerous to your health and causing allergies...I mean, if they want to throw paint at each other, fine, but why do it on campus? Go to a paintball range or something.
Old 02-18-2008, 04:34 PM
Super Moderator

I just worry because Arkansas has so many older buildings, not to mention Senior Walk, that could sustain considerable damage if they were even power-sprayed or sandblasted.

jmagnus, the earlier names are drawn into the walk and the later ones stamped. The older part of the walk is, naturally, much more fragile--seems like the first class they did was in 1892. No one wants to see that part of the sidewalk disintegrate.