GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Alpha > Alpha Epsilon Pi

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,252
1 members and 1,251 guests
LaneSig

Old 10-10-2007, 08:36 PM
GreekChat Member

The UW-Madison Situation

Quote:
Two UW-Madison chapter fraternities will appeal to the Interfraternity Council after an alleged hazing last spring and a violation of probation earlier this semester that led to expulsion from the University.

[...]

Another UW-Madison chapter fraternity, Alpha Epsilon Pi, will attempt to appeal their suspension Wednesday at a closed meeting with the Interfraternity Council.
The frat was suspended in May for the 2007-08 academic year after allegations of hazing came from an “unnamed source” last spring, according to AEPi’s chapter president Jared Steinberg.
AEPi’s 11 new members were questioned last spring by the fraternity’s national office, Steinberg said, and every one of them said nothing went on.

[...]

Under suspension regulations, AEPi would not be allowed to rush or initiate any new members, hold social or brotherhood events or participate in Greek-sponsored philanthropies if the appeal is denied. A modified suspension would continue into next semester, with limited conditions for rush and initiation and a required hazing workshop for all new members.
Full Story

The appeal apparently took place earlier today. Does anybody know how it went? I must say, as a pledge at another chapter of AEPi, this is quite concerning, not because of the allegations, because I know that at least here that doesn't happen, but because it seems to signal a trend. Here, even though we're one of the most responsible, well-behaved frats on campus, we've been having serious issues with the Greek Life Office lately. And from what I hear, the situation isn't much better elsewhere. I don't want to jump the gun, but I think that anti-semitism is really starting to hurt AEPi, in everything from Dartmouth approval to recruitment at UW-Madison. And the fact that SAMMY is also facing a major hassle in a number of places (they are the other frat in the article, and at least locally, they got kicked off campus a few years back, and only recently got permission to return, but seem not to exist) doesn't exactly help convince me that there is anything else to attribute this to.
Old 10-11-2007, 06:19 PM
GreekChat Member

The verdict is quite good:

Quote:
The University of Wisconsin chapter of Alpha Epsilon Pi fraternity was cleared of alleged hazing violations Wednesday, putting an end to a case that could have suspended the organization’s Madison chapter until fall 2008.
AEPi was accused of hazing its new pledges at the end of last semester, and the Greek Judicial Board had decided to suspend all the organization’s activities until fall 2008. But their decision to suspend the fraternity was overturned by an Interfraternity Council vote of 15-7, Monday.

[...]

According to fraternity and sorority program advisor Jeffrey Benson, IFC’s decision will still be taken to the J-Board for consideration, though IFC has not suggested any amendments to its appeal decision.
Full story

I do hope J-board has the sense to let them off. The pledges were all interviewed by the national organization, and ALL of them denied the hazing accusation. AEPi does not haze.