GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Delta > Delta Gamma

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,129
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zavictoiajnr131
» Online Users: 1,242
0 members and 1,242 guests
No Members online

Old 09-23-2013, 01:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: location, location... isn't that what it's all about?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
She clearly has no idea what a sorority is. She has also probably not consulted with Delta Gamma about any of this.
That's my favorite part. She puts out an email with, "hey, everybody, I'm gonna start a DG!"

And she is SUCH a this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by agzg View Post
little special snowflake.
Old 09-23-2013, 03:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to DGTess
At least Council has confirmed my suspicion that they're on it. I don't know, nor did I ask, what action. I do hope our legal counsel has contacted her, but beyond that there's nothing we can do.
Old 09-25-2013, 02:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to AZ-AlphaXi
This story has now hit the front page of USA Today on line

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/n...-down/2864697/
Old 09-25-2013, 07:41 PM
GreekChat Member

I don't know why she singled us out and oh By the way we don't HAVE a chapter at Smith.

She may be disillusioned about us when I tell her that since I graduated (many years ago) three of the actives in my chapter came out.
Old 09-25-2013, 09:01 PM
GreekChat Member

That was incredibly presumptuous for her to state that she wanted to start a DG chapter. She obviously neglected to do her research (which includes contacting the Greek life office). Who would have then informed her of how expansion works.

Plus if DG is anything like the other NPC's, we (being NPC chapters) don't discriminate and saying that a sorority is only for "straight women" is discriminating. What an idiot.

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." Eleanor Roosevelt
Old 09-25-2013, 09:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to sigmagirl2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASUADPi View Post
That was incredibly presumptuous for her to state that she wanted to start a DG chapter. She obviously neglected to do her research (which includes contacting the Greek life office). Who would have then informed her of how expansion works.

Plus if DG is anything like the other NPC's, we (being NPC chapters) don't discriminate and saying that a sorority is only for "straight women" is discriminating. What an idiot.
Smith College doesn't have greek life.

I'm sure the OP saw a pretty lilly print and randomly picked it.

Smith College will never have greek life.

::: waiting for someone to post in Irishpipes 2013-2014 chapter listing thread that quota was .25 ::: - ASTalumna06
Old 09-25-2013, 09:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigmagirl2000 View Post
I'm sure the OP saw a pretty lilly print and randomly picked it.
Ha!

Maybe we should just do away with recruitment and let PNMs chose chapters based on the Lilly or Vineyard Vines print they like best. I think that sounds like a real time saver! No recruitment rehearsals or MS.
Old 10-02-2013, 08:42 AM
GreekChat Member

I saw this on facebook not too long ago. Extremely bizarre. I'm sure it's been brought to the attention of EO by now, though, and surely they could squander this. Still so odd. Wonder why she chose DG... wish our name would stop being associated with these things (I'm talking to you Rebecca from Maryland.)
Old 10-02-2013, 09:17 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aab225 View Post
I saw this on facebook not too long ago. Extremely bizarre. I'm sure it's been brought to the attention of EO by now, though, and surely they could squander this. Still so odd. Wonder why she chose DG... wish our name would stop being associated with these things (I'm talking to you Rebecca from Maryland.)
Yes. I heard from EO that it was already on their radar when I brought it to their attention. Another report I read noted they had learned about it through a Google alert (I knew I loved those alerts for a reason!). Once I knew EO was on top of it, I just let it go.

I guess it's good that women want to join us ... but I'm also tickled we can say "No. Just, no."
Old 10-02-2013, 09:35 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Yes. I heard from EO that it was already on their radar when I brought it to their attention. Another report I read noted they had learned about it through a Google alert (I knew I loved those alerts for a reason!). Once I knew EO was on top of it, I just let it go.

I guess it's good that women want to join us ... but I'm also tickled we can say "No. Just, no."
Old 10-02-2013, 09:38 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndianaSigKap View Post
Ha!

Maybe we should just do away with recruitment and let PNMs chose chapters based on the Lilly or Vineyard Vines print they like best. I think that sounds like a real time saver! No recruitment rehearsals or MS.
You'd like that with your reasonable, looks like Sigma Kappa print wouldn't you?! Here we are with the scary pandas scaring away all the PNMs swearing we don't mix pepto pink and burgundy as our colors.

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 10-02-2013, 10:03 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Wonder why she chose DG...
Here’s my (totally unsubstantiated, completely speculated) theory, assuming that the email wasn’t intended to be satire:

The author of the email chose, for whatever reason, to attend Smith. One of her high school BFFs chose to attend some other college that has Greek Life, a more typical campus atmosphere, and fall recruitment. The BFF joined Delta Gamma and told her Smithie friend all about how completely awesome everything was at her school and especially being a DG new member. Our Smithie friend figured if BFF was having so much fun in DG, then why should she let a little thing like Greek life not existing at her campus –and all the mean, scary lesbians!- stop her from doing the same.
Old 10-02-2013, 10:19 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndianaSigKap View Post
Ha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOII Angel View Post
You'd like that with your reasonable, looks like Sigma Kappa print wouldn't you?! Here we are with the scary pandas scaring away all the PNMs swearing we don't mix pepto pink and burgundy as our colors.

Ha ha ha (evil laugh). I am most annoyed, as Lilly's newest line includes gold and black fabric. I kid you not. Lilly's hatred for Theta is exceeded only by those scary pepto pandas. Although the turquoise and yellow pansies that do not resemble pansies are pretty horrific.

I need to go lie down.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Old 10-02-2013, 10:25 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chi-o_cat View Post
Here’s my (totally unsubstantiated, completely speculated) theory, assuming that the email wasn’t intended to be satire:

The author of the email chose, for whatever reason, to attend Smith. One of her high school BFFs chose to attend some other college that has Greek Life, a more typical campus atmosphere, and fall recruitment. The BFF joined Delta Gamma and told her Smithie friend all about how completely awesome everything was at her school and especially being a DG new member. Our Smithie friend figured if BFF was having so much fun in DG, then why should she let a little thing like Greek life not existing at her campus –and all the mean, scary lesbians!- stop her from doing the same.
actually sound pretty plausible.

I know nothing about Smith College, so I'm a bit lost about all the talk regarding this school. Can someone fill me in.

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." Eleanor Roosevelt
Old 10-02-2013, 10:37 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASUADPi View Post
I know nothing about Smith College, so I'm a bit lost about all the talk regarding this school. Can someone fill me in.
Smith is a women's liberal arts college in Northhampton, MA. The town itself, and the campus are very well-known as having a very large lesbian community and being very LGBT-friendly, progressive, etc. That is what leaves many of us scratching our heads a bit over a student who would go there, then feel like she needs to create some sort of sanctuary for straight students. If someone is going to feel out-of-place among LGBT folks, then Smith is probably not their ideal campus.

If you're interested in reading a book that gives a pretty thorough (fictional but presumably based on the author's real experiences) account of being a student at Smith, you might want to check out Commencement by J.Courtney Sullivan.