GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,130
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zmaisongoogleto
» Online Users: 1,251
1 members and 1,250 guests
ajanessshulze31

Old 06-24-2012, 09:27 PM
GreekChat Member

See their FB page at: https://www.facebook.com/bamadeltaga...bamadeltagamma

Lots of pictures of the construction.
Old 06-24-2012, 09:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Thank you! And yay for the house looking just like was promised in the architect's computer model! I love how huge it is and yet not just looking like a giant box of concrete.
Old 06-24-2012, 11:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 28StGreek View Post
Thank you! And yay for the house looking just like was promised in the architect's computer model! I love how huge it is and yet not just looking like a giant box of concrete.
No way that would happen, given UA's extremely tight architectural controls. At Alabama, tradition rules.

Old 06-25-2012, 06:49 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 28StGreek View Post
Have you seen instances where this happened? I find it strange that you thought we'd design one thing and build another.
Old 06-25-2012, 09:32 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
Have you seen instances where this happened? I find it strange that you thought we'd design one thing and build another.
It's more like the rendering looks cool, and then when it comes to life, it's just not quite right. I worked in a newly-built office building that looked really sleek in the model, but came out sterile in real life.
Old 06-25-2012, 09:55 AM
GreekChat Member

It is difficult to look at an architectural rendering and then envision the completed building if you aren't accustomed to it! Those who work in the construction industry can readily see it but for the layman, it's often not the same. Sorry you don't like your new building!

Last edited by Titchou; 06-25-2012 at 12:03 PM.
Old 06-25-2012, 11:26 AM
Super Moderator

What a fabulous house it will be!! Thanks for the FB link.
Old 06-25-2012, 02:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaBetaBaby View Post
It's more like the rendering looks cool, and then when it comes to life, it's just not quite right. I worked in a newly-built office building that looked really sleek in the model, but came out sterile in real life.
This is what I was getting at, in my experience the rendering/model usually looks better than the finished product. But I have to say the architects/construction company working on the DG have done an awesome job!

And while AnchorAlumna mentioned that Bama had strict architectural/aesthetic controls I was just thinking with the size of the building needing to be maximized to handle the supersize chapters it could fall prey to practical over style. Not be negative but I've seen some pretty boxy houses at Indiana, Kentucky and Arkansas.
Old 06-25-2012, 02:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Would be interested in your opinion of the other 3 when they are done.
Old 06-25-2012, 04:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
Would be interested in your opinion of the other 3 when they are done.
From the renderings I have seen of ADPi and DDDs new houses I think they're well done.. When the base structure is pretty boxy, the Palladian style really helps breaks up that look. I am a big fan of columns on the portico.

If I ever was head of my national's building corporation I'd totally consult the companies responsible for those builds at Bama!
Old 06-27-2012, 11:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Out of State New Members

28thStGreek,

You were interested in numbers of out of state women who were in new member classes at the University of Alabama. I looked through my records and selected two of the oldest chapters at the university as an example. I do not have numbers for all the NPC chapters for 2010.

Kappa Delta celebrated 108 years at University of Alabama. In 2010 their new member class had 31 women from out of the state.

Delta Delta Delta has been on the campus for 98 years. In 2010 their new member class had 54 women from out of the state, including twins from Georgia.

These are just two examples, but it does indicate out of state women are
part of pledge classes at Alabama.

Perhaps another poster has numbers from the 2011 classes.
Old 06-28-2012, 12:06 AM
GreekChat Member

According to UA Panhellinic's twitter 1,516 PNM's have registered for recruitment! And I'm sure the number will continue to grow! Sorry for the lane swerve, just thought I'd share.
Old 07-09-2012, 07:45 PM

Per Bama's GL Director (who is a Sigma btw!) ---

"For the third year in a row, UA is expecting record-breaking numbers in terms of participation in sorority recruitment. In order to accommodate the increase in registration, we have added an additional day to the formal recruitment schedule. Recruitment will now take place Friday, August 10, 2012 through Saturday, August 18, 2012. Please spread the word! For more information about the changes in the recruitment schedule, please visit www.uapanhellenic.com."

I don't know how this changes the schedule (as I don't go to Bama, maybe they're adding an extra day to one of the rounds), but I wanted to pass that along. I'm sure further info is to follow if you're registered.

Lakers Nation.

Last edited by KSUViolet06; 07-09-2012 at 08:48 PM.
Old 07-09-2012, 08:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Exclamation Letter just emailed from UA Panhellenic Assoc Re: revised dates for recruitment 2012

Dear Parent/Guardian,

You are receiving this email, because your child has registered for sorority recruitment at The University of Alabama, and you were listed as the primary contact. The Greek community at UA is one of the largest, most vibrant Greek communities in the United States and we are thrilled that your child has decided to participate. As you assistant your child in preparation for recruitment and the eventual move to Tuscaloosa, we would like to share some information with you that we think you will find helpful.

For the third year in a row, UA is expecting record-breaking numbers in terms of participation in sorority recruitment. In order to accommodate the increase in registration, we have added an additional day to the formal recruitment schedule. Recruitment will now take place Friday, August 10, 2012 through Saturday, August 18, 2012. Recruitment events will begin on Friday, August 10, 2012 with Convocation, which will be held at 7:00 pm at Foster Auditorium. Dress for Convocation is casual and t-shirts and shorts are appropriate. We understand that majority of the women participating in recruitment will be moving in on Friday, so all participants are encouraged to come as they are.

The new 2012 recruitment schedule will be as follows:
Thursday, August 9 & Friday, August 10: Residence Hall “Early Move-In”
Friday, August 10: Convocation (7:00 p.m. Foster Auditorium)
Saturday, August 11: Open House Day 1
Sunday, August 12: Open House Day 2
Monday, August 13: Philanthropy Day 1
Tuesday, August 14: Philanthropy Day 2
Wednesday, August 15: Skit Day 1
Thursday, August 16: Skit Day 2
Friday, August 17: Preference Day
Saturday, August 18: Bid Day (10:00 a.m. Bryant-Denny Stadium)

The online “Early Move-In” process began on June 15, 2012. All women living on campus in the fall semester participating in fall formal recruitment are eligible for “Early Move-In” on Thursday, August 9 or Friday, August 10. If your child was previously assigned a move-in time for Saturday, August 11, then Housing and Residential Communities will reassign her to an earlier move-in date and she will be notified of the new date and time by email. Women participating in sorority recruitment should have no concern about moving in on Friday, August 10. For more information about “Early Move-in,” please visit the Housing and Residential Communities website at http://movein.ua.edu/.

The Greek Chic Recruitment Guide is in the final stages of editing and will be available online shortly. Due to changes in the recruitment schedule, printing has been delayed. We anticipate that an PDF copy of the recruitment guide will be available online at www.uapanhellenic.com by Monday, July 16 and that hard copies of the recruitment guide will be mailed to all registered participants starting Friday, July 20.

Things to remember:
The Skit Round will now consist of two days and will be held on Wednesday, August 15th and Thursday, August 16th. Women participating in the Skit Round will now need two outfits. The attire for Skit Day is a nice dress or skirt set with comfortable heels or flats. For more information on what to wear, please visit the Panhellenic website at www.uapanhellenic.com.
All women participating in recruitment will need to make sure that their FINAL high school or college transcript is sent to the UA Admissions Office by August 1st. Please send a certified copy of high school or college transcripts to:
The University of Alabama
Office of Undergraduate Admissions
Box 870132
Tuscaloosa, AL 35487-0132
While there is no official deadline for letters of recommendation, we encourage all women participating in recruitment to have their letters of recommendations submitted to the sororities by July 15th to ensure that they receive them before the start of recruitment. For more information on letters of recommendation, please visit the Panhellenic website at www.uapanhellenic.com.
Crimson Ride buses will be available to transfer all women participating in recruitment to and from Foster Auditorium for Convocation on Friday, August 10, 2012. Buses will pick up at Lakeside/Riverside, Presidential Village, and Ridgecrest beginning at 5:45. All recruitment participants need to plan to get to Convocation early, as we will start at promptly at 7:00 p.m.
Bid Day will begin at 10:00 a.m. on Saturday, August 18, 2012. Bid Day is an exciting event, and families are invited to participate in the festivities! We hope that you will consider joining us for this monumental event.
Again, we are looking forward to welcoming you and your child to campus in a few weeks. Sorority recruitment is an incredible experience and we are excited to welcome all participants to the Capstone!

If you have any questions or concerns pertaining to Greek life or the sorority recruitment process, please feel free to contact the Office of Greek Affairs at (205) 348-2693.

Sincerely,

Caroline Campbell
Director of Recruitment
Alabama Panhellenic Association
www.uapanhellenic.com
Old 07-09-2012, 09:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Football Fan View Post
28thStGreek,

You were interested in numbers of out of state women who were in new member classes at the University of Alabama. I looked through my records and selected two of the oldest chapters at the university as an example. I do not have numbers for all the NPC chapters for 2010.
Oh thank you, but I meant I was interested in what the OOS numbers would be for THIS year. I actually still have the excel file that various GCers helped put together for the 2011 pledge class breakdowns.

2011 New Members: 1306
Alabama: 535
OOS: 771
OOS (South): 522
OOS (North): 249

For the purposes of the spreadsheet the OOS (South) states were: Arkansas Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Louisiana, Mississippi, North Carolina, Oklahoma, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas.

NB: IIRC Virginia was considered a northern state as almost all the PNMs were from NoVA

Chapter Breakdowns
Chapter (Total); OOS; OOS-S; OOS-N]

Alpha Chi Omega (79): 37; 29; 8
Alpha Delta Pi (93): 50; 34; 16
Alpha Gamma Delta (78): 38; 32; 6
Alpha Omicron Pi (92): 51; 33; 18
Alpha Phi (92): 52; 27; 25
Chi Omega (76): 31; 28; 3
Delta Delta Delta (77): 51; 44; 7
Delta Zeta (102): 60; 36; 24
Gamma Phi Beta (101): 77; 30; 47
Kappa Alpha Theta (98): 74; 42; 32