GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,431
3 members and 2,428 guests
asamuelchvso931, oncegreek

Old 03-11-2013, 12:21 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartofsec View Post
even if she didn't have time to proof.
Wordpress.com has a great spelling and grammar check (even questioning use of the passive voice!). If you don't fix or "ignore" mistakes that the program captures, it will prompt you with a message that suggests proofreading. There is no way to ignore it.

If you are speaking from a position of authority (real or presumed), you should create a clean presentation. It's too easy these days to blame time and text-speak, or to use the excuse "this isn't English class!".

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzTheta View Post
Spent some time reading that blog. Conclusion: I think diamondmom=sorority girl. Same kind of writing style (phrasing, etc), same typo errors, same grammar and punctuation errors. Just too many similarities.

uh oh... Am I in trouble for going off topic?
Ding, ding, ding! I thought the same thing. We'll see...

Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 03-11-2013, 12:44 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HQWest View Post
Her expertise is from Alpha Phi at U. Puget Sound (1975?) and her daughters pledged in the SEC. She doesn't say where her daughters pledged or if she has done anything with Alpha Phi since then?
She is indeed active with her sorority.

Old 03-11-2013, 07:05 AM
GreekChat Member

Hate to debunk the theory but I am not sorority girl. Read her blog and have met her. she's a nice lady and has a big heart. I have suggested she do a better job at spell check. Quite honestly I think she has so many irons in the fire that it's just something she skips over. Will suggest it again.
Old 03-11-2013, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Neither do most of the anonymous posters passing out advice on this site
With all due respect, they're only anonymous to those of you who don't know them in "real life".
Old 03-11-2013, 09:27 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillarneyRose View Post
With all due respect, they're only anonymous to those of you who don't know them in "real life".
I agree that people you know in RL are not anonymous -- to you. Almost everyone here is anonymous to a PNM joining to ask a question.

Does anyone have any information that is relevant to the OP's question?
Old 03-12-2013, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetalady View Post
I will not apologize for believing that if someone is going to hold themselves out as an expert on a topic and write a blog, that they should use correct punctuation, proper grammar, and check their spelling!! Is that just too damned much to ask? There is no excuse for sloppiness, like using "were" when "wear" is correct.

(God help me if there is a typo in this post!! )
Exactly. I wasn't lolling at her advice (because frankly tl; dr) but when someone starts with a silly grammar error, it's like dropping a turd in a punchbowl.

And for anyone who couldn't figure out what she was trying to say in the first place, it's HUE AND CRY.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hue_and_cry

Last edited by 33girl; 03-12-2013 at 02:50 PM.
Old 03-13-2013, 01:36 AM
GreekChat Member

Does anyone have any information that is relevant to the OP's question?[/QUOTE]

Thank you!
I get excited to see that I have so many new posts on my thread, but then am disappointed to see that most of them are just people going back and forth about someone's blog!
I do appreciate those who gave helpful advice though and I am still open to some help. I read sorority girls blog and have even talked to her once (not about this topic) but I got scared when I read that she wouldn't suggest wearing white because that throws off my WHOLE outfit. Even though I will probably go with what I had in mind.
Old 03-13-2013, 09:04 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Hi bamagirl24,
You may also want to follow this blog for info -- there is a lot of information specific to Bama and some other SEC schools -- as well as general recruitment advice (recent and archived entries are on left):
http://sororitygirl101.com/
You might send your questions through the "contact us" page there to the mom who writes the blog -- she seems very helpful and knowledgeable about recruitment events at Bama. Maybe she will blog some advice pertaining to your questions. : )
I'm sure you've figured out that the helpful poster on CC is the same woman who writes the blog.
Well darlin', you asked for advice, and it's just that - advice, not a command. So if you've listened to the advice and weighed it, then do what you feel is right for you.
One reason you're not getting a lot of advice is that these parties are fairly new. Or, at least, new to the sororities who observed Panhellenic rules in the past and did not host pre-recruitment parties at alumnae homes around the state. UAPanhellenic finally decided these parties are going on anyway, so they're just trying to regulate them a little more.
Look at what the activity is going to be, think about what you'd normally wear, and then step it up just a tiny bit but not too much.
And I would follow Tammy's suggestion to take several different outfits with you this weekend so you'll have some choices, especially if it rains!
Despite the forecast, if it's Tuscaloosa, it could rain!