GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,432
0 members and 1,432 guests
No Members online

Old 03-27-2010, 09:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyLonghorn View Post
Please don't come to Texas if this is what you're looking for in a recruitment and Greek system. Texas recruitment goes way beyond "the competitive side" and "a challenge," especially for non-Freshmen from out of state. It's something that you can't even fathom unless you experience it. Recruitment will be brutal, gut wrenching and most likely end up in disappointment for you. So if you're really determined to be Greek and that's the tipping point in your decision, I'd honestly not come to Texas.

Understatement of the year.

Having lived in Dallas for twenty years and serving as Alumnae Panhellenic Sponsiorship Chairman for Richardson /Plano, LadyLonghorn speaketh the cold truth.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 03-27-2010, 10:09 PM
GreekChat Member

haha yeah i've actually read a lot of similarly brutal, yet honest answers she's given so i think i have a pretty good idea of just HOW intense it is!

but right now, I'm kind of leaning toward michigan if i can get used to the idea of living so far from home. so i'm trying to find out as much about that school as possible!
Old 03-28-2010, 01:35 AM
GreekChat Member

I think your best bet would be to visit Ann Arbor to get a good feel for the campus, preferably before school ends because it "feels" very different in spring/summer term. While I'm pretty familiar with the greek system in general and the area, I couldn't begin to name which chapters would take sophomores easily and it probably wouldn't be very Panhellenic to do so either. There are 15 NPC groups, 1 of which is currently a colony. There have been a few recolonizations/colonizations over the past few years, which generally increases the likelihood of upperclassman receiving bids. Sometimes those chapters are looking to even out the number of women in each class.

Since the other schools you are considering are in warm climates, you may want to think about the climate! While we had less snow and warmer temps than usual this year (less snow than they had in Atlanta this year even!), it does get quite cold and we get a lot of snow up here I don't want to discourage you from Michigan, it's a great school and a great college town, the climate can be quite a shocker to people who are not used to it.
Old 03-28-2010, 02:52 AM
GreekChat Member

AGDee, thank you so much for your help, i think i will end up visiting the school. i get out earlier than most, so i will definitely have time.

And as far of the weather, i have DEFINITELY thought about that. as a southern california native, it would be quite an intense shock. but if i get a good feeling from the school, i think it'd be worth it

thanks again!
Old 03-28-2010, 03:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Surprisingly, since it is arguably the most competitive recruitment outside the South/Texas, sophomores getting bids at USC is routine. Even the most competitive chapters will have a third of their pledge class be sophomores. But don't underestimate the competition...I'd get recs to all chapters without a second thought. From what I understand, sophomores have a very hard timing getting bids at Texas. I have no idea about Michigan...a really close friend was a Tri-Delt there, I'll ask her if they ever take sophomores.