GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Alpha > Alpha Omicron Pi
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,392
3 members and 2,389 guests
asamuelchvso931, oncegreek

Old 05-26-2003, 02:45 AM
GreekChat Member

Question How did you know you were an AOII?

How did all of you know that you were an AOII?

Epsilon Chi AOII
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 05-26-2003, 04:06 PM

People talk about just "knowing" or feeling like they were "home" when they find their sorority. For me, I definitely felt like I was home at AOII. I liked what I experienced there and wanted to be a part of their sisterhood. It truly was as simple as that, and I'm lucky that they wanted me as much as I wanted them.

Roses,
Christin
Old 05-27-2003, 02:50 PM
GreekChat Member

How did I know I was an AOII?

Well, my great-grandmother on my dad's side of the family was an AOII. I had really wanted to go Kappa at Ole Miss before rush because my two aunts were Kappa's and I knew some older girls there. However, after second round of rush, there was something about the AOII's that made me feel special yet, they were not wanting me because of my legacy. (Also, I did not write this down on anything that I was a legacy or a courtesy to any house so I could have a fair rush.) After third round I knew I wanted to be an AOII! I remember running back to the Chapel here at Ole Miss and putting AOII first and then praying all night that they wanted me just as bad. I was so happy on bid day when I got my bid card that said, Alpha Omicron Pi that I ran all the way from Fulton Chapel to the AOII house and I was the first pledge there! I was also just as happy to see my younger sister, running down the hill to the AOII house three years ago when she pledged AOII. AOII was the place for me from the minute I put on my Bid Day shirt and started bonding with sisters from all over the South. It wasn't like I was being judged either from day one. They loved me and wanted me because I was me. I will never forgot my Bid Day! Also, it wasn't like I "knew" I wanted to be an AOII, it was like AOII and her founders guided me to their house. This past rush at Ole Miss, we had a young lady (now an active), who said, "I had a hard time deciding on where I wanted to be but God guided me here and I'm so glad I am here." I mean that is just the best feeling in the world to know that we all end up at the right house for a reason. I got goosebumps when she told us that.
-Katherine

Last edited by OleMissGlitter; 09-08-2009 at 03:31 PM. Reason: I found out later on my grandmother was just a pledge, never initiated...but my great-grandmother, mom and sister are AOIIs!
Old 05-28-2003, 09:27 AM
GreekChat Member

being an AOII

As an Alum Initiate, AOII just started falling into place. I was astounded at how many of the important women in my life ended up being AOII's. It was truly amazing.
Roses,
Silver
Old 06-05-2003, 03:33 AM
GreekChat Member

I'm not an AOII but my mother was one. I love Chi Omega, so don't take this wrong, but I remember looking through To Dragma and wishing I was an AOII when I was a little girl. I told my mom the day I got my Bid for Chi Omega (which I was so stoked about) that I deep down wished her and I could share a special bond. She said it didn't matter cuz we're already bonded...but I just wanted to be a part of something she was. Unfortunately we don't have AOII on my campus (I'm Alum now) but I'm very happy that my sister will have TWO AWESOME sororities to choose from as legacy should she go greek!

Just thought I'd share!
Old 06-05-2003, 07:50 AM

Amy, I saw that you posted on this thread and thought "but she's not an AOII!" Too funny!

How much longer until your sister hopefully goes through recruitment?
Old 06-05-2003, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Hootie
to casually wear around the house. It's funny. My mom doesn't have any AOII gear though Just her pin.
Oh, I'm sorry to hear that. You need to shop at the Emporium (aoiiemporium.com) for her

Quote:
Although, and sorry for being random...
Don't you all have a pin that has what looks like a bundle of (and this is going to sound bad) hay? I don't know much about your
Our new member pin is a sheaf of wheat! Here's some info on it and a picture: http://aoiixe.tripod.com/facts.html (I think it's a great website, but I'm their Corporation President so you know I'm biased )

Ask away, you know there's not much we like better than talking about AOII around here!
Old 06-05-2003, 11:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Sheaf of Wheat....Well the pin I have looks VERY similar but it's not the official thing How funny though that my grandfather had something symbolic of my mom's sorority
Old 06-06-2003, 03:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Amy - you've got me interseted in what your grandfather made you.

I remember the first time I saw our Rose Award. I thought the woman had it made. My only wish was when I asked her where she got it, she hadn't been so rude to me.

I have two dreams yet unfulfilled in AOII and one of them is to work hard enough to earn that award.
Old 06-06-2003, 04:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Duh! How did I know I was an AOII?

Well... my aunt is 7 years older and a member of Alpha Chi Omega. How she met her ATO husband. She had been an officer and several women in her wedding party were sisters - her little and another woman.

When I went to Ohio Northern, we didn't have an AXO chapter, but I knew that I wanted that same experience that my aunt had had.

So, I signed up and went to the first event - which was a Panhellenic Cookout. (Funny aside - my husband was dating the President of Alpha Xi Delta. I had dated him in high school prior to them dating. So I was the EX! She approached me at this event and started giving me a hard time. Thankfully, one of her sisters rescued me and introduced me to the AOII Sweetheart - who was an RA in my building and asked him to introduce me to some of the AOIIs.)

So... I went through, elminated another group. And was down to 2. Everyone from home that went to ONU was a ZTA. But something about AOII just hooked me. I went to the ZTA Pref first and saw them crying. Looking back, most likely Seniors. And I didn't get it. When I was at the AOII Pref and a couple cried, I felt the same way. Like this was special.

Our chapter sang as song only twice a year - a Preference and at Rose Ceremony:

They say there's a tree in the Forrest
A tree with a message for you
Come along with us
Be an AOII
Come and join in our friendships true
They say if you choose the right sisters
The ones you been longing for
The Red and the White
Will Burst into Sight
And the Love will Continue to Flow

Heidi
Old 06-06-2003, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by SnowLady
Our chapter sang as song only twice a year - a Preference and at Rose Ceremony:

They say there's a tree in the Forrest
A tree with a message for you
Come along with us
Be an AOII
Come and join in our friendships true
They say if you choose the right sisters
The ones you been longing for
The Red and the White
Will Burst into Sight
And the Love will Continue to Flow
Awww, now I'm all verklempt I love it, and I've never even heard it (hint hint HINT!)
Old 06-07-2003, 04:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to AOII*Azra-elle
I knew I was at home with AOII the moment I walked in the door the first day. My AOII chapter had only been on campus a year and a half *now 3* at that time and all the ladies just had this air about them and this bond that when you look at is amazing. I wanted to be part of that and they wanted me to share what they had. The ladies were wonderful during recruitment and didn't fit the usual cookie cutter mold that some on our campus have at this present moment.

For random thought--we just got a new house (the old AZD/Sig Chi house) and are hoping to call it home from now on.
I know that she'll be there if ever I need her.
I know that our friendship is true.
Old 08-03-2009, 05:18 PM
GreekChat Member

hello. I am a JI for the delta sigma chapter of aoii. I would love to hear how you sang this. I am panhellenic delegate and have been on this site trying to reach out to fellow sisters for ideas to help my chapter flourish.
<3
Old 09-08-2009, 03:27 PM
GreekChat Member

I knew I was an AOII when, at pledging (which happened on the night bids were accepted), the door opened into the AOII room and Barb, the first "Greek Woman" I met during recruitment, stepped out, smiled and announced she was my Big. Since she was a Panhell rep, she had not participated in recruitment, but I had not known that and had spent most of recruitment looking for her.