GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Zeta > Zeta Phi Beta
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,454
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, nathnpetrovo648
» Online Users: 1,559
2 members and 1,557 guests
MethrenLusia, PGD-GRAD

Old 10-28-2005, 11:23 AM
GreekChat Member

The main reason our white counterparts do not have this issue is because they are more diverse with us. You still have segment's of our population whom believe that if you're Black you're "supposed" to be Baptist, whereas we as a people are Catholic, Buddhist, Apostolic, Muslim, JW, Mormon, etc. even some followers of Judaism. When one enters the college environemt and then decides to join a organization for whatever reason we tend to have a close-minded view when it comes to our people and Lettered organizations. WF's have around 200-300 different orgs. to play with and toy with the idea of joining whereas we limit ourselves to a few. Whatever the reason Legacy, Friends + Family, peer pressure or just following the crowd because of a trend. We as BF need to really stop limiting ourselves. It is no reason why people would or should want to join an organization "just because" and the organization not recognizing that this person is not going to follow through on that persons committment ie pledging. I mean NO ONE knows what a person's true intention is but if you can't beat a mug to quit then extend the period to a FULL semester that'll truly weed out any persons taht are not truly committed to the cause. I keep hearing about people going over in weekends and in 2 weeks....WTF can any person learn about a 50- 100 year old org. in 2 weeks- NOTHING!
NAMES AND DATES AND QOUTES DON'T MAKE AN ORGANIZATION- THE PEOPLE DO!!!!!

For all of the "qualified person's" GPA's and community service aren't everything. What is the use of having a large line of people whom hate each other or whom are not even willing to get to know each other on a social and friend level. Just because they're "qualified" on paper don't mean they'll represent the Org. in best light. I have a friend now whom went over one of long a$$ lines now and because she feels so cheated she doesn't wear her perry, attend meetings or anything, she merely sends a check in every year to Nationals and that's it. On the opposite I have a homeboy whom pledged a Org. and so much shiesty stuff happened while he was in school and afterward with the grad chapter he want's nothing to do his org. either.

So to me the large line thing to me is a waste of a person's time because they are not truly obtaining the experience that they were looking for. If I were about to join an org. and they introduce me to 80 sumthing people in a room talking about these will be your LB's I would say "hell Naw" for that particular Chapter has lost the true vision of what their Founders envisioned which is a Unique, Different, Selective organization with a process that eliminates any "Weak Links Amongst the ranks".

Like we say in Groove Phi "Everbody can pledge Groove, but everybody can't be a Groove"

Got Guts-Pledge Groove
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 10-28-2005, 11:41 AM
GreekChat Member

Groove,

Fundamentally, no matter how much you have witnessed or heard, you are not qualified to give an informed answer to this question.

If your organization recognizes a legal pledging process, then that's great for you and your organization and I'm not mad at you. As a Brother of Alpha Phi Omega and an Alpha, I can see the benefits and drawbacks of both pledging and the Membership Intake Process. I hate on neither pledging or MIP, but I understand both.

Please don't oversimplify what you've heard about MIP. The first step to understanding it is that the power is in the selection -- not the process itself. If you are intimately acquainted with what our founders envisioned, then you would know, beyond the shadow of a doubt, that indoctrination is but a small part of "making" a member.
Old 10-28-2005, 11:57 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Senusret I
The Kappas 14+ ...... such a shame. I am with you on the eye roll.
I forgot about that.
Old 10-28-2005, 12:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Senusret I,

As a member of Alpha you are in an entirely differnt category....if you read the post prior to the largest Alpha line I ever saw in my life was 20 and they were on point! So my post was not to you....get my drift. We as an organization also adhere to a strict MIP policy as ordained by many of the HBCU's that we are chartered upon...so in essence because on certain campuses like JC Smith all orgs. must start at the same time and end at the same time and all must be done in the Spring so on the process unique to all I can speak on the ramifications and trials and tribulations that Many Orgs. go through. I myself am highly against the "MIP" process albeit I understand it's intention and respect it's inception and the bigger picture that MIP paints.

So my good brother as far as the last statement of "oversimplifying" the indoctrination and selection process- I don't. I merely state a known fact that is obvious to anyone with 5 senses. All of our Orgs. at the Chapter levels have made mistakes but why continue, we should fix the mistakes. When should a person's character be tested I ask then? After they go over or when that lawsuit comes knocking because someone got kicked in the head....you tell me.

Oversimplification was the Iraqi Occupation...My name ain't Geoege Bush I don't oversimply anything except breathing.

Got Guts-Pledge Groove
Old 10-28-2005, 12:27 PM
GreekChat Member

And on an end note basically the at the end of the day Orgs. need loot to function.....some more than others. People have salaries, causes, lawsuits, payoffs, scholarships, bills, etc. and hey if you can get 150+ people x 5 chapters to join at a grand a whop that gives you a TON a loot to play with. If you want to be a member of that Org. for whatever reason DO YOU! But in doing so truly respect the the Organization and it's fundamental purpose as to be not just "something to do" but an idea of change which all of us must never forget.

All of our Founders went hrough some kind of hell to get from point A to point B and as long as one respects that then you can have lines of 600 to a million. The only problem that alot of people have is that When one org. "Cheapens" their letters we all suffer for the outside community and non-members looks at the new members actions and their mannerisms and basically groups us as ALL being the same and having the same mentallity.
If you're on a small campus then people WILL notice and take note and the good ones that would have really been a true asset to your org. will simply make themselve's not available.

Got Guts-Pledge Groove
Old 11-03-2005, 02:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Everybody is different.

FIN.

ZFB - Women of Substance
Old 11-04-2005, 07:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Ok, question, and it's kind of related...

Are there policies stating BGLOs can't do intake every semester???

A lot of times people see Asian Greeks are are like "they have so many numbers, so they must do things the same way as White Greeks" which is a myth. We do intake almost every semester. By doing this, it keeps the lines down and ensures a tighter class.

Now, I know there are a lot of rules governing NPHC orgs, but I feel like, especially at non-HBCUs intake every semester would help for a few reasons:

1) You are always thinking about potential new members because you will be having a class that semester
2) You have to prepare every semester for events, GIMs, etc.
3) It keeps smaller lines
4) It creates a culture of always striving
5) You are less likely to die out
6) Current members will always want to be involved because there is a new class

I know some Nationals (I think) and specific chapters have only Spring intake and possibly only Fall intake (not sure on this though).

Drawbacks of every semester intake:

1) You get mad tired
2) It's time consuming

One thing I see at my campus, which has very few minorities in general is that all Multicultural Greek Orgs struggle for membership. Grant it, we are a city chapter, but we have only 19 people in our NPHC orgs (NPHC is breaking off from MGC and forming it's own council, much to my chagrin ). There are roughly 500 black students at GW, and only one of them is in a NPHC Fraternity.

The thing is, at an institution like GW, a lot of the black people don't know much about NPHC orgs. Many have no family members who were greek. So, the name recognition isn't there as much. Yes, we do get moms who come to the Freshman Orientation Org Fair and make their daughters only sign on one info list ( ), but this isn't common.

Every university has a different culture. I personally feel that a rush of some sorts would be more effective at a campus like GW.
We do a rush every semester. One or two weeks of events, in addition to previous semesters of getting to know the people and making sure they meet our requirements. Regardless of whether or not people decide to go through with intake, our name is still out there on flyers and on our websites. We hand them out at Asian student organizations general body meetings, we do mentorship programs, etc.

Yes, I know there are rules governing NPHC orgs about rush and some Latino greeks too, but it really bothers me when the numbers are so few. I mean, you can't live your ideals out if you don't have anyone to live them out. Publicity is so important to an organizations success, and the culture of an HBCU vs. a PWI is vastly different. Add on to that the city aspect, and you get a fractured black community.

I guess what I am trying to say through all this rambling that if a rule is too inflexible, some chapters will suffer because of their university culture. Nothing makes me sadder than seeing a chapter die out.

Grant it, no one knows about Asian Greeks (Kimbrough didn't even discuss them really in Black Greek 101 when he did discuss Latino Greeks), so our organizations have a culture now that publicity is so important to success and that we have to show people we are there or else people won't notice. I feel like all minority greeks have to do that at PWIs in order to really succeed.

Ok, done.

-Nate
National APIA Panhellenic Association (NAPA) Vice-Chair
Old 11-06-2005, 07:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Wow, L.O.C.K... you asked something very interesting and brought up some very interesting points (even some NPHC members may not really even notice it...)

But to answer your question... every organization is different and they have their own rules pertaining to when they do intake. I know at some HBCU's all groups do intake at the same time in one semester (according to the schools, it makes it easier to keep track...)

At my school, which is a PWI, all except one will attempt to do intake every semester if there are interest doing that particular semester. Or if there is interest in the fall and many would know there is interest in the spring, some would just wait to bring through a "big line"...

It is just up to the indiviual chapters unless their IHQ gives a mandate or something...
Old 11-10-2005, 01:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Update

Zeta Phi Beta

Lambda Beta Chapter

29 Degrees Of Puuurrrfection

THe highest # I saw listed for Zeta was 14 or 15....just wanted to update

LoJ
Old 11-24-2005, 12:03 AM

I've *heard* of some being 100+, but the most I've actually seen:

This year:

DST- 7
ZPhiB- 7 or 8
SGRho-4 or 5

The fraternity numbers here are usually no more than 3-5.

Lakers Nation.
Old 03-27-2006, 12:27 PM
GreekChat Member

me too!!!!!!!
Old 03-30-2006, 02:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: Update

Quote:
Originally posted by LionOfJudah
Zeta Phi Beta

Lambda Beta Chapter

29 Degrees Of Puuurrrfection

THe highest # I saw listed for Zeta was 14 or 15....just wanted to update

LoJ
New update for you:
FAMU - Gamma Alpha - 31
Old 07-04-2006, 01:44 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to blulegacy_1920
Well as far as Z Phi B, the largest line in our chapter (Epsilon Beta) was of 30. I came from a line of 17. The AKA's on our campus had 78 one year then 43 the following year. But I think the Delta's on our campus win hands down. They've had lines as large as 133 and the graduate chapter crossed 98 this past year. Go figure.
Old 08-10-2006, 01:22 PM
GreekChat Member

large zeta line

the largest I know of personally is 28 in SC
Old 09-11-2006, 07:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Cali_Keisha
I am #60 of Redivivus 70. Gamma Tau, Spring 05. Tuskegee University!!!!