GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Risk Management - Hazing & etc.

Risk Management - Hazing & etc. This forum covers Risk Management topics such as: Hazing, Alcohol Abuse/Awareness, Date Rape Awareness, Eating Disorder Prevention, Liability, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,275
2 members and 1,273 guests
Cookiez17, JayhawkAOII

Old 01-04-2018, 09:37 AM
GreekChat Member

Student found dead at Cal State University-Fresno Delta Sigma Phi fraternity house

http://abcnews.go.com/US/california-..._headlines_hed

I put this in the Risk Management forum, but there aren't many details yet.

@~/~~~~
Old 01-04-2018, 01:09 PM
Super Moderator

I appreciate that nothing has been released pending the investigation. A death at a fraternity house on January 4th, when school is out seems a lot less likely to be an RM issue, but rather a simple unfortunate tragic death.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 01-04-2018, 02:18 PM
GreekChat Member

No social drinking any more, just binge drinking! So much for raising drinking age to 21 while you people can fight for America, not drink or vote? What is the Voting age today any way?

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 01-04-2018, 03:14 PM
Super Moderator

Here's a little bit more information, such as the student not being a member of the fraternity, and his friend finding him on the porch. Fresno State Student Death.

I'm not making any judgment calls yet, but I'm really, really sick to death of this type of thing happening!
Old 01-04-2018, 06:17 PM
GreekChat Member

This story made our local evening news here in Sacramento last night. Very sad.

Some new details have been released. Looks like it could have been drug-related and that the student was partying at the fraternity house with his girlfriend and younger brother, both underage. Even with classes out of session, it reads to me like a huge RM issue.
Old 01-04-2018, 06:33 PM
Super Moderator

Yup.
Old 01-05-2018, 12:49 PM
Super Moderator

Here's a lot of new information.

http://www.fresnobee.com/news/local/...193021704.html

The article states that the deceased had habitually used Xanax for around 6 months, that 583 Xanax pills was found with the deceased and that the deceased and his underage girlfriend had been using the Xanax pills and smoking marijuana throughout the day before they went to the fraternity house and continued to use.

The article states that the drug use occurred between 3 a.m. and 5 a.m. when most everyone in the house was asleep.

Legally, I'm not sure what you can do to a chapter when someone, as reported here, brings their own drugs to the property and overdoses while the members of the fraternity are not present.

That said, this is why no NIC organization condones open parties. Randos show up and bad things can happen.
Old 01-06-2018, 04:36 PM
GreekChat Member

The officer in the press conference in the above link stated that three fraternity members out of a party of 10-12 were taking Xanax with the student and his friends during the incident. Another news story made it sound like the student was selling pills to the fraternity. I haven't heard anything to substantiate that but it does raise the question of how and why someone carries around a bag of nearly 600 prescription pills.

The fact that he was also carrying around bottles of promethazine is a bit alarming, especially since there was alcohol and marijuana present. Booze and weed are legal (though the student and his girlfriend and brother were underage) but are also used to make lean which is very popular in that part of the state. Add the benzo pills and that's some really bad stuff.

Regardless of culpability, I hope there's some education and awareness to teenagers about the dangers of this stuff. A lot of kids get hooked on lean because it's cheap, somewhat accessible, and tastes pretty good plus they see rappers and internet celebs making and taking it on social media. We've had reports of kids experimenting with it and overdosing or going into seizures or even comas. It's scary.