GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Up & Coming National GLOs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Up & Coming National GLOs This area is for discussion of issues affecting GLOs which are larger than a local, yet are still growing into a national GLO.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,456
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, zatylerahvso465
» Online Users: 1,486
2 members and 1,484 guests
LaneSig, Phrozen Sands

Old 04-27-2007, 02:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to gamma_girl52 Send a message via Yahoo to gamma_girl52
Here's my story:

When I first started college I had no knowledge of Greek Life. Nobody in my family is Greek so fraternities and sororities were totally new to me. I thought about joining a sorority; and even went so far as to formally express my interest. However things didn't work out for me.

I was working in Student Activities at the time when I received a phone call from someone who was about to be a transfer student. She asked if we had Gamma Sigma Sigma on campus and we didn't at the time. I asked what it was about and she shared with me that it was a service sorority. I was really impressed with the examples of service that her chapter had been doing on her campus; so much so, that we arranged a meeting for the next day! She and I met and clicked almost immediately. I did some research on my own and found that GSS was a perfect fit for me. I have always enjoyed giving my time and service to others and I knew of others that were just like me. We decided to take a chance and have some interest meetings--close to 30 ladies showed up in two days!! It felt good to know that there were others out there who wanted to affiliate themselves with an organization so focused on Service and Friendship.

Making a long story short, the girl on the telephone ended up being my Dean I and 11 other ladies crossed into GSS in May of 1998. I have never stopped being active since that day!! I continue to show support to the chapter in which I founded, and I am currently serving on our National Board of Directors--I love my job! It really doesn't seem like close to 10 years ago I took a leap of faith and started Gamma Sig on my campus. I just went to my undergrad chapters' Spring '07 probate show--I remembered when we didn't even probate on campus and the support they got from other greeks, was a really great thing! Just to see GSS grow so much here in Atlanta alone--from having two collegiate chapters, a collegiate colony, AND an alum chapter is wonderful. What's even more wonderful is that I have had a hand in ALL of it.

Most of you probably haven't been in your respective organizations for a long time (and I haven't either, LOL) but always remember that you have a responsibility to your organization! There are always gonna be people AFTER you that will look to you for guidance. Be active, be active...and again, BE ACTIVE!!

"Life is filled with many things to Befriend, Love, and Serve..."
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 04-27-2007, 03:18 PM
GC Member

Send a message via AIM to OneTimeSBX Send a message via Yahoo to OneTimeSBX
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEpitome1920 View Post
Actually I do send out emails/call new members around the country.
i think that is stellar considering what a large org. Zeta Phi Beta is...

i have friends who just felt that they wanted more closeness, and i dont necessarily think it is the choice of sorority, but sometimes just the chapter they are involved with. i know it means a lot when a new sister gets recognition from another!
Old 06-12-2007, 04:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by preciousjeni View Post
...if I were going to put my blood, sweat and tears into anything, it had to be progressive, inclusive, socially aware and willing to stand against the norm...
beautiful...and exactly why i joined my org. i've grown up in the deep south where change is often talked about but rarely seen. i'm proud to be a soror in an organization dedicated to opening people's minds about what a sorority can be.
Old 10-07-2007, 04:02 PM
GreekChat Member

I was approached to join a sorority by a teacher of mine way back in grammer school. I was actually so interested in it but I didn't have the time. It is only as of late that I have found out that the sorority Phi Delta Kappa was for women who wanted to become teachers/educators. That's the furthest thing from my mind... I just crossed in my sorority, Iota Theta Eta Christian Sorority and I could not be happier. I looked at the Divine Nine and just could not bring myself to endure some of the things that I had heard from people that had been on line. I love the sorority life, I love this sisterhood and I say for anyone who is interested in joining, go for it after you RESEARCH IT! Don't make a fool of yourself for something that your heart is not in. Iota Theta Eta was created in 2006 and this is what I have been waiting for, a true sisterhood!

Soror Sweetie Pie
Iota Theta Eta Christian Sorority Inc.
www.iotathetaeta.org
"How Pretty is she in purple and pink"
#8 FALL 2007 DELTA CLASS
Old 10-18-2007, 01:49 AM
GreekChat Member

Why did I join a Greek Org that was founded after 1930? Because there really wasnt a Latino Fraternity created before 1930. I am a proud Hermano of Lambda Alpha Upsilon!
Old 04-05-2008, 01:02 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DreamfulSpirit
I loved reading the stories on here, so I thought that I would share mine:

I never really had an interest in greek life. I started college in Fall '03 and the thought of joining a sorority had never crossed my mind. No one in my family has been in a GLO. Around my second year in college I had started to notice the presence of greek life on campus and started thinking that maybe I could be a part of it.

Spring '05, Delta Zeta colonized on campus and I went to their informational sessions and to a few of their events to get to know people, and scheduled an interview. Unfournately I wasn't called back for prefs. Afterwards, a friend of mine in one of my classes was an Alpha Gamma Delta and they were doing continual recruitment because their numbers were really low. I also had another friend in that sorority as well. I would have became a new member pledge with them, however their nationals closed that chapter down (I heard something about why, but I won't disclose it here) and I figured out that I wouldn't have been able to afford it.

Next semester, Fall '05, I didn't really think about going through formal recruitment or anything. I was in one of my classes and saw a girl with a tote bag that said "Omega Phi Alpha". I hadn't heard of them before, so I went home and did some research and really liked how they were a service sorority, and started sending out some emails to find out about the particular chapter on campus and some rush events. I went to the events, and immensely enjoyed the girls there. Turns out the girl in my class, she was the membership director! The other factor that I loved was that the dues were considerably lower than the other sororities (which honestly, was bonus points in my book!).

I was installed as a pledge that semester, and was activated in December. I got to spend one semester as an active before I transferred out of state (long story). I loved my time then, and miss my sisters sooo much! At the school I transferred to, I tried to start a chapter here, but couldn't get enough interest needed .

I love this organization so much, and they not only focus on service, but have such a strong focus on sisterhood as well! Every girl I've met has been amazing! We do have a smaller number of girls, but everyone knows everyone better than having larger numbers, and I think the closeness is stronger! I also love how diverse everyone is, its great to be connected through this strong sisterhood bond that we have! I can't be prouder to be a sister of OPA!!!
Old 04-09-2008, 11:16 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to MsDGP007 Send a message via Yahoo to MsDGP007
Cool

Well I was a transfer student living off campus. At first I was looking for a way to quickly find a group that could expand my social life options. At my first school, a friend of mine was a Delta Sigma Theta soror...but since that school was predominantly male (and the Black student population was also pretty small)...she often went to other schools to participate in Greek life events. That did not really appeal to me...but at my second school, it was a different story. Greek life was pretty popular on-campus.

However, the schools were not so different in that they both had a really small number of Black students percentage-wise. What I noticed among the Black Greek organizations is that they sort of all lumped together; which was needed and important in order to get things done. I was friends with a Zeta Phi Beta and found those women interesting...but in my limited exposure...it just was not something I could see myself comfortable in.

Through some of my own research, I found out about my sorority. Back then, it has only been in existence for a few years. But I was excited to see that other women had actually pulled together to found a totally new undertaking. I also was impressed that the sorority did not start in a metro area far away....and many of the founders were just like me; Black women who grew up and involved themselves in many activities that did not mainly focus on their cultural background. Again, I have only the utmost respect for the Divine 9 NPHC groups -- it just wasn't my thing (and I'm sure they are not interested in women who are not totally on board with their mission and purpose).

The NPC groups looked interesting. But I wasn't interested in all in all of the costs and the aspect of living in a house. Yeah...again, not really my thing. But I love NPC groups too...especially the ones at my alma-mater. They are really cool and supportive, you know?

The past 10 years have been great; given I had practically nothing to do with my sorority in the years right after my graduation. It was amazing to get back involved and see what type of women had joined our sisterhood in the meantime. I couldn't be more proud really . Now instead of just "expanding my social options" I have a network of women all over the country I can just call up for help or for advice or just to say "hey". It's an awesome feeling really. Plus, I just love busting the "sorority girl" stereotypes too.
Old 04-10-2008, 01:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to zchi2
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsDGP007 View Post
Well I was a transfer student living off campus. At first I was looking for a way to quickly find a group that could expand my social life options. At my first school, a friend of mine was a Delta Sigma Theta soror...but since that school was predominantly male (and the Black student population was also pretty small)...she often went to other schools to participate in Greek life events. That did not really appeal to me...but at my second school, it was a different story. Greek life was pretty popular on-campus.

However, the schools were not so different in that they both had a really small number of Black students percentage-wise. What I noticed among the Black Greek organizations is that they sort of all lumped together; which was needed and important in order to get things done. I was friends with a Zeta Phi Beta and found those women interesting...but in my limited exposure...it just was not something I could see myself comfortable in.

Through some of my own research, I found out about my sorority. Back then, it has only been in existence for a few years. But I was excited to see that other women had actually pulled together to found a totally new undertaking. I also was impressed that the sorority did not start in a metro area far away....and many of the founders were just like me; Black women who grew up and involved themselves in many activities that did not mainly focus on their cultural background. Again, I have only the utmost respect for the Divine 9 NPHC groups -- it just wasn't my thing (and I'm sure they are not interested in women who are not totally on board with their mission and purpose).

The NPC groups looked interesting. But I wasn't interested in all in all of the costs and the aspect of living in a house. Yeah...again, not really my thing. But I love NPC groups too...especially the ones at my alma-mater. They are really cool and supportive, you know?

The past 10 years have been great; given I had practically nothing to do with my sorority in the years right after my graduation. It was amazing to get back involved and see what type of women had joined our sisterhood in the meantime. I couldn't be more proud really . Now instead of just "expanding my social options" I have a network of women all over the country I can just call up for help or for advice or just to say "hey". It's an awesome feeling really. Plus, I just love busting the "sorority girl" stereotypes too.
If you don't mind saying, what school did you go to?
Old 04-10-2008, 03:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to MsDGP007 Send a message via Yahoo to MsDGP007
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by zchi2 View Post
If you don't mind saying, what school did you go to?
Hmmm...I'm not quite sure which one you mean...so I'll list all of them

1st - Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University, Daytona Beach, FL
2nd - West Virginia University, Morgantown, WV
3rd - Pittsburgh Institute of Aeronautics, West Mifflin, PA

The 3rd is where I founded a chapter/pledged (it was a city-wide chapter).
Old 07-28-2008, 11:37 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to preciousjeni
Quote:
Originally Posted by AOEforme View Post
When you're combating against 100s of years of history, it's sometimes hard to make the change in the sorority that you long for.
"Combating against"? That struck me some kinda way.

Talented, tested, tenacious, and true...
A woman of diversity through and through.
Old 07-28-2008, 11:42 AM
GreekChat Member

Strange thread. For a few reasons.
Old 07-28-2008, 11:59 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Combatting prolly is too strong a word... the older your organization is, the more red tape that exists, and the harder it is to make changes....

This can be for better or worse.
Isn't your organization going to be around long enough to get old and have a lot of members and history?
Old 07-28-2008, 11:59 AM
GreekChat Member

I think she meant that "combatting against" is redundant. "Combatting" means "fighting against" or "opposing."

But I see your point.
Old 07-28-2008, 12:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
It's just what you want. To inherit or to create....
I chose both.

Quote:
To each their own!
I'd believe this if most of the responses in this thread didn't reference other organizations.
Old 07-28-2008, 12:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
It's true... our younger GLOs reference the other organizations because we're following in those footprints.
We know.

And there are other reasons why some of them reference other organizations. But I won't go there because it doesn't apply to all of them. It's just funny that someone asks "why'd you chose XYZ organization" and the responses are more about the other organizations than their own.