GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,445
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Avalanchejqr
» Online Users: 1,755
0 members and 1,755 guests
No Members online

Old 05-01-2014, 04:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
^^^YUP
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 05-01-2014, 05:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
The quote above re SLG just solidifies the incorrect assumption that a sorority = the house. If the members honestly shared that attitude, the demise of their chapter is no one's fault but theirs.
That was kind of an odd statement for her to make—from what I understand, SLG and other MCGLOs follow a model more similar to NPHCs regarding membership selection, organization, and chapter size. You wouldn't think there'd be a hard-and-fast expectation for them to have a house.
Old 05-01-2014, 05:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low D Flat View Post
The comparison is important at schools where most members can choose to live in. At Alabama, even for the chapters with the big new houses, most members don't have the option, and only four of the big houses are operating. A fair number of members never get to live in at all (the sophomore class is bigger than the house capacity for the biggest houses, plus the officers have to live in). So the vast majority of members are paying the out-of-house fees, on top of their living expenses, for either three or four years. It's a significant cost.

That’s true – though many who have the opportunity to move in elect to live off-campus (juniors and seniors).

IMO, the impression the article leaves by including the discussion of the 14-member multicultural sorority is that the sorority failed because they did not have a house, implying an inequity or lack of support from the institution because they were non-white.

And that the NPC Greeks are elitist via the cost of their "clubs," and that presumably this is a barrier to race.

It may certainly be a barrier (it is a barrier to any student who cannot afford it). I did a brief search for some demographics on the cost issue and tripped across this study which (among other issues) explores cost, social class perception, and familial influences (who knew the Association of Fraternity/Sorority Advisors had a research journal?):

ASIAN AMERICAN WOMEN’S PERSPECTIVES ON HISTORICALLY WHITE SORORITY LIFE: A CRITICAL RACE THEORY AND CULTURAL CAPITAL ANALYSIS
http://afa1976.org/Portals/0/documen...20Fall2012.pdf

I don't see a way to make the cost of a social organization fair to those (of any race) who cannot afford the cost -- or even separate it from the social class perception the (OP) article perpetuates.
Old 05-01-2014, 05:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhawkie View Post
Perhaps people perceive that there is a bias to the large, historically white Greek organizations because there has been a history of racial discrimination yet Univeristy of Alabamacontinues to lease them the land at a very low cost.

If the school is willing to lease land to other organizations, that is good. But it doesn't negate the fact that an organization is still a getting low-cost lease and has a history of discriminating against others. The right doesn't cancel out the wrong.

Even within an organization (even on Kappa Delta's own Facebook page!) there is discussion about how certain chapters are permitted to engage in behavior that would be grounds for chapter closure elsewhere in the country.

Whether you think this article is unfair or not, the story isn't finished, and a lot of history is left to be written. All eyes are on you Alabama.
So you are suggesting that the Greeks be punished by charging more for leases, yanking leases, or booting chapters from campus? Just wondering what you feel is just.

It will be interesting to see what happens this fall. My own feeling is that fewer AA PNMs will register than some tend to imagine (I think it is wrong to assume that droves of AA freshmen girls are interested in joining -- and would if they could -- in my mind, that assumption reflects a non-minority perspective on its own).

IMO, some of the loudest (and most sensational) voices are no more concerned about racism than they are with a sensational story and/or reason to hate Greeks. I predict that the AA PNMs that do participate will be on their radar, especially any who do not receive a bid. This year has the potential to be awkward for these girls - I hope they can just be PNMs - not story opportunities.
Old 05-01-2014, 06:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartofsec View Post
It will be interesting to see what happens this fall. My own feeling is that fewer AA PNMs will register than some tend to imagine (I think it is wrong to assume that droves of AA freshmen girls are interested in joining -- and would if they could -- in my mind, that assumption reflects a non-minority perspective on its own).
It's not as simple as "interested in joining" if you don't come from the right background. You know that as well as anyone.
Old 05-01-2014, 06:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaBetaBaby View Post
It's not as simple as "interested in joining" if you don't come from the right background. You know that as well as anyone.
I think you misunderstood the point I was trying to make -- that it is wrong to assume droves of AA freshmen girls are just dying to join NPC sororities.

(Though certainly their race should not be a barrier if they do wish to join)

Certainly there are other issues and perceptions that may revolve around familial exposure, background, and connections. See the research article I linked.

(but of interest on the topic of the "right background" - a wonderful man who immigrated from a country in South America painted my house eight years ago. He was fairly new to our country - about 2 years I think -and still struggled a little with English at the time. I spoke with him again about 2 years ago, and he told me his daughter was at Alabama. And an ADPi.)

Last edited by Hartofsec; 05-01-2014 at 06:49 PM.
Old 05-01-2014, 06:40 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm only going to address the housing issue. The University holds the mortgages on these places...ALL of them that have mortgages are thru the University. The ones that are paid for - or that the house corps have equity in - have to be bought back by the University. So, UA is getting the interest on the loans, don't have to house these students, and have at least some control over their living environment, But pulling the plug on one would mean having to buy back the "improvements" if the chapter leaves. The housing answer is far more complicated than pull their charter and take the house. And it may be a sweet deal for the land lease, but the mortgage payments have to be made and the upkeep has to be paid. And UA funds none of that.
Old 05-01-2014, 08:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
So you are suggesting that the Greeks be punished by charging more for leases, yanking leases, or booting chapters from campus? Just wondering what you feel is just.
I'm not really suggesting any punishment such as yanking a lease or pulling a charter. I stated understood the predicament that KD HQ is in, and I'm not suggesting that they do something of the sort, at least right now. I'm just pointing out that many non-Greeks perceive that their continued presence and low-cost lease on campus property, in spite of a history of racism, is suggestive of favoritism. Other members of their own organization are publicly questioning why resources are diverted to a chapter who has behaved in such a manner, which I don't think is an unreasonable question.

In my opinion, it sounds like the University has gotten very cosy with organizations on these leases, and now it would be very difficult for them to back out, no matter what they do. Where do they draw the line? What does a chapter have to do to lose a lease that is assisted with tax-payer funds?

I actually believe that the vast majority of the active GLO sororities at Alabama would embrace integration, and obviously, many chapters already have. But, if this kind of behavior and bad attitude persists, then the narrative isn't done.
Old 05-01-2014, 09:19 PM
GreekChat Member

I also just want to say, there is a tremendous amount of trash talking happening on the public thread regarding this topic on the Kappa Delta HQ Facebook page.... particularly against the woman who was interviewed for this story. I'm a little surprised that they are allowing any of this feedback to remain up there at this point.... interesting.
Old 05-01-2014, 10:25 PM
GreekChat Member

It wouldn't look good for KD to seem defensive or too hotsy totsy to take it. I would say at least part of their purpose in all of this is to spark debate. Debate in America also means an abundance of lunacy and simple mean-ness. I'm sure their HQ put on their collective big girl pants in advance to withstand this.
Old 05-02-2014, 12:33 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
(but of interest on the topic of the "right background" - a wonderful man who immigrated from a country in South America painted my house eight years ago. He was fairly new to our country - about 2 years I think -and still struggled a little with English at the time. I spoke with him again about 2 years ago, and he told me his daughter was at Alabama. And an ADPi.)
That's cute. You have a Latino friend.
Old 05-02-2014, 12:47 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
That's cute. You have a Latino friend.
My point was rather that ADPi -- at Alabama -- had a Latino sister who did not have the "background" you implied was important to join a chapter there.

Contrary to the usual perception.

Last edited by Hartofsec; 05-02-2014 at 12:52 AM.
Old 05-02-2014, 12:53 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
My point was rather that ADPi -- at Alabama -- had a Latino sister who did not have the "background" you implied was important to join a chapter there.
And I'm saying that your claim that one Latina woman joining a chapter at Alabama makes the system any less racist is akin to someone claiming they have a black friend.

ETA: Whether or not people are consciously racist, the fact is that we tell women rushing at Bama over and over and over again that they have to have recs, meet people in advance, be perfectly primed, etc. That means that the system is not set up for women from different socio-economic or racial backgrounds to have a successful rush. The fact that one or two non-white girls make it through from time to time doesn't change that.

Last edited by DeltaBetaBaby; 05-02-2014 at 12:57 AM.
Old 05-02-2014, 12:55 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
And I'm saying that your claim that one Latina woman joining a chapter at Alabama makes the system any less racist is akin to someone claiming they have a black friend.
Donald Sterling, anyone?

@~/~~~~
Old 05-02-2014, 01:01 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I didn't make that claim -- you make the claim that I knew something about girls who don't come from the "right background:"

Quote:
And I did, actually.