GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,126
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, babobygooglet93
» Online Users: 814
1 members and 813 guests
babobygooglet93

Old 08-14-2010, 06:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Texas A&M

I am so impressed - the Gamma Phi chapter advisor sent me a letter for each girl for whom I sent a rec, thanking me and promising to send a follow-up on where she pledged. I wish more chapters did this!
Old 08-14-2010, 08:25 PM
GreekChat Member

GCSU friend decided that greek life was not for her and left recruitment.

Georgia Southern friend is a new Phi Mu. My oldest daughter will be excited, as this is the first rec she has written as an alumni for someone who pledged Phi Mu!
Old 08-14-2010, 10:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWTXBelle View Post
I am so impressed - the Gamma Phi chapter advisor sent me a letter for each girl for whom I sent a rec, thanking me and promising to send a follow-up on where she pledged. I wish more chapters did this!
I don't know if national Kappa Delta requires this or not, but after rush, I have always gotten a card stating where the rec girl has gone, and that is from several different chapters. I agree, it is a nice custom and it recognizes the effort the alums make to write recs on girls.
Old 08-15-2010, 12:18 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWTXBelle View Post
We did this when I was at TCU back in the early 90s. However, I have never received a thank you note or a note of where someone pledged for any of the recs that I have written. (mostly schools in the southeast) Like you I wish that more chapters did this. I would even be half-way okay with a form letter acknowledgement. While not quite Miss Manners it would at least let me know where everyone pledged.

Good for A&M.

(never thought that I would ever utter those words!)
Old 08-15-2010, 12:38 AM
GreekChat Member

The lovely ladies at Ole Miss send out notes telling where PNMs pledged (or didn't). It shocked me considering how many PNMs likely have recs sent in during a recruitment period. I bet they have quite a large Thank You Note committee.

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 08-15-2010, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue E. Pig View Post
I've heard Arkansas has 1,000 going through. Forecasting 110 per pledge class.
Wow. If that ends up being quota, that HAS to be some kind of a record. I've heard of quota being in the low 90s at Ole Miss before, but I have never seen any quota higher than that.

Lakers Nation.
Old 08-15-2010, 09:28 AM
GreekChat Member

Arkansas is in desperate need of more NPC groups. I really do not understand why they have not considered opening for expansion. And since I am very ignorant in this area, I won't assume that it is all the University's fault - although I have very strong opinions about the lack of abilities in the Greek Life office.

And, this is not a new and rare situation. My oldest pledged in 06 with roughly 70 in her pledge class. Next daughter pledged last fall with 84 in her class. And, now they think it will be 100? How is this not a problem for all concerned??
Old 08-15-2010, 11:10 AM
GreekChat Member

Re Arkansas - didn't they add AOPi a couple of years ago?

Re thank you's - Delta Gamma's form has a place where the alum can mark that they want to know what the PNM pledged.
Old 08-15-2010, 11:16 AM
GreekChat Member

USC (Southern Ca.) sent me a card last year detailing where my rec. girl had gone. It seemed to be a form from HQ. I do wish more chapters would let their rec writers know 1.) they received the rec and 2.) what ends up happening with the pnm.
Old 08-15-2010, 11:24 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gee_ess View Post
Arkansas is in desperate need of more NPC groups. I really do not understand why they have not considered opening for expansion. And since I am very ignorant in this area, I won't assume that it is all the University's fault - although I have very strong opinions about the lack of abilities in the Greek Life office.
Maybe no other groups can afford to build competitive housing? No idea. gee_ess, you remember the groups that were there when we were that folded later and at least 2 of them didn't have competitive housing.
Old 08-15-2010, 11:43 AM
GreekChat Member

I've never received a card, but I was "shown the ropes" as to our local rec customs by a friend with a daughter older than mine.

1) Secure recs and deliver/mail packages (or email) packages with resume, picture, stamped addressed envelope along with note thanking said person for writing rec.

2) 2-3 weeks after delivery of packet, mail thank you note to everyone you asked to write a rec. This helps as a reminder to those who haven't done it yet to get moving. Usually just say something like "Thank you so much for writing me a recommendation for Kappa Kappa Gamma! I'm so excited to go to Georgia and I look forward to meeting so many new people during recruitment! Thanks again, Susie"

3) After recruitment, send note thanking each person again for writing rec and telling them how it turned out. Doesn't need to say more than "I had such a great time at rush and meeting all the girls at Kappa Kappa Gamma and appreciate your recommendation. I pledged Delta Delta Delta and love all my new sisters. Thanks again for helping me with my recruitment."

I can't tell you how many people commented to me that they had received my daughters' "sweet note" and are now always willing to help me out when I ask for recs for any of my kids' friends. A little courtesy and personal attention goes a long way.
Old 08-15-2010, 04:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Deadline to register for recruitment at S. Carolina is midnight tonight, and as of now there are 1150 PNMs signed up. I sent a rec to UGA for a woman going through there and got back a lovely acknowledgement from GPB. Thanks ladies!
Old 08-15-2010, 05:24 PM
GreekChat Member

I should clarify that I've never received a card to say where someone ended up, I have received the rec acknowledgement card from UGA and Alabama.
Old 08-15-2010, 06:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Peeing on you and telling you it's rain apparently...
Quote:
Originally Posted by NUBlue&Blue View Post
GCSU friend decided that greek life was not for her and left recruitment.

Georgia Southern friend is a new Phi Mu. My oldest daughter will be excited, as this is the first rec she has written as an alumni for someone who pledged Phi Mu!
How exciting! I love to hear about new Phis!
Old 08-15-2010, 10:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Sam Houston State's Bid Day was today! Quota was 16, there were about 85 that signed up which is waaaaaaaaay down from the previous years.

Here are the results:
Alpha Chi Omega - 20 (Yay! I love these girls!)
Alpha Delta Pi - 18
Sigma Sigma Sigma - 19
Zeta Tau Alpha - 18

"To see beauty even in the common things of life..."