GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,130
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zmaisongoogleto

Old 05-01-2007, 06:30 PM
Unregistered-

Quote:
Originally Posted by DolphinChicaDDD View Post
I have our Pansy Brunch in the morning. I think most of the alumnae in my chapter frown upon the drink.

What time is the derby?
Dude, is that a mojito or are you drinking a salad?
Old 05-01-2007, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTW View Post
Dude, is that a mojito or are you drinking a salad?
Salad+rum+sugar= LOVE

I got teh Boy addicted to mojitos. Its bad.

After the Pansy Brunch, I will be sipping on my rum flavored salad...and later on in the evening, I plan to have a few margaritas. Its going to be a long night.
Old 05-01-2007, 11:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to jadis96 Send a message via Yahoo to jadis96
Living about 20 minutes from Churchill Downs I have been going to Derby parties since I was about 2 years old and I have never had a Mint Julep I liked.

I did find some recipies though if anyone else wants to try them:
THE MINT JULEP (three ways to make them)

Let’s start with, the “classic” mint Julep

Begin by putting 3 o 4 mint sprigs in the bottom of a tall glass or stirrup cup. To that add a little water (I use a splash of Woodford) and 2 teaspoons of superfine sugar. We now want to muddle this to form a fine paste. Then, pack the glass with crushed ice and fill with Woodford Reserve. Be sure to put in a long straw and garnish with a mint sprig covered with powdered sugar. This is now ready for sipping and enjoying.

For a little easier preparation, here is, The Mintini idea

Start by pouring about ½ oz of White Crème de Menthe in the bottom of your glass. Top with crushed ice and fill with Woodford Reserve and add your straw and mint garnish

The easiest of all: Use Early Times pre-mixed Mint Julep.
Fill glass with ice and pour (Early Times is the official Mint Julep of Churchill downs).

Personally I am a fan of the new Oaks Day drink, the Lily these days.

A key ingredient of the “Oaks Lily”™ is Finlandia Vodka, the official vodka of Churchill Downs. The new cocktail’s ingredients include:

1 oz. Finlandia Vodka
1 oz. Sweet and Sour Mix
3 oz. Cranberry Juice
Splash of Triple Sec
When the ingredients are mixed, place the “Oaks Lily”™ in a tall glass with crushed ice, add a straw and garnish with an orange wedge and cherry.
Old 05-02-2007, 12:44 AM
Super Moderator

Jadis, that all sounds simply wonderful! I'll be drinking juleps, but that "Oaks Lily" sounds worth trying!

Maybe that will be the answer to my problem with not having enough julep cups (I'm up to 22).
Old 05-02-2007, 09:37 AM
GreekChat Member

That looks like a great drink!

All this talk of derby pie is making me hungry and it's three hours 'til lunchtime. Anyone have a good recipe for that?

I only have one silverplate julep cup, but it's got a fleur de lis on it. (My mom knows I like anything with a fleur on it, but had no idea what it was when she bought it for me.)

Ah, memories of the Sigma Chi house on Derby Day, when one of the brothers from Louisville made huge batches of juleps.
Old 05-02-2007, 11:26 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emory Kappa View Post

All this talk of derby pie is making me hungry and it's three hours 'til lunchtime. Anyone have a good recipe for that?

I only have one silverplate julep cup, but it's got a fleur de lis on it. (My mom knows I like anything with a fleur on it, but had no idea what it was when she bought it for me.)

Ah, memories of the Sigma Chi house on Derby Day, when one of the brothers from Louisville made huge batches of juleps.
I asked and got this recipe:
http://www.recipezaar.com/81849

I will be making my own pie crust because commercial shit sucks.

And Jesus speaketh, "do unto others as they did unto you because the bitches deserve it".

Old 05-02-2007, 11:53 AM
GreekChat Member

Hey, thanks! Sugar, nuts, butter, and chocolate chips. No wonder it's so good!

(I'm so time challenged that I've convinced myself that the refrigerated Pillsbury pie crusts aren't too bad.)
Old 05-02-2007, 12:07 PM
GC Member

Send a message via AIM to OneTimeSBX Send a message via Yahoo to OneTimeSBX
i am preggers *sniff sniff* but if i werent? id be making up a big ol batch of sangria. i may still make it for our guests this weekend and let my fiance taste test it for me.

i do mines the regular way (wine, fruit, sugar) but i spike mines with a little vodka . after about the 3rd glass, you cant stand up straight!
  • 1 Bottle of your favorite white wine (This recipe is just as delicious with a good red wine, if you so choose)
  • 1 Lemon cut into wedges
  • 1 Orange cut into wedges
  • 1 Lime cut into wedges
  • 1 Peach cut into wedges
  • 1 Cup sliced strawberries
  • 1/2 Cup lemonade or limeade
  • 1/2 Cup Sugar
  • 2 shots of apricot, peach or "berry" flavored brandy (or 1/2 cup vodka!)
  • 2 Cups ginger ale
  • Optional: one can of diced pineapple pieces with juice
PREPARATION:

Pour wine in the pitcher and squeeze the juice wedges from the lemon, orange and lime into the wine. Toss in the fruit wedges (leaving out seeds if possible) and add sliced peaches, strawberries limeade/lemonade, sugar and brandy. Chill overnight. Add ginger ale and ice just before serving.
Old 05-02-2007, 02:05 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:

Just thought you'd like to know: if you like fleur de lis, there's a whole set of stoneware available at Williams Sonoma. Also, Ballard Designs (a catalog) is positively ugly with them!
Old 05-02-2007, 04:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to NutBrnHair
honeychile, are you having a Derby party?

May I come if I promise to bring my own tumbler???
Old 05-02-2007, 11:06 PM
cutiepatootie

Mint julieps are good but give me a margerita any day!
Old 05-02-2007, 11:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to jadis96 Send a message via Yahoo to jadis96
Quote:
Hey, thanks! Sugar, nuts, butter, and chocolate chips. No wonder it's so good!

(I'm so time challenged that I've convinced myself that the refrigerated Pillsbury pie crusts aren't too bad.)
Starting last year they are also making a Derby Cake, the website says "it is an amazing fusion of moist butter praline cake, dark chocolate and fine Kentucky bourbon". From what I saw on TV the other day this may be soemthing worth ordering.
http://www.mertscakes.com/derby_cakes.shtml
Old 05-02-2007, 11:36 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NutBrnHair View Post
honeychile, are you having a Derby party?

May I come if I promise to bring my own tumbler???
We usuallly do, within the family, but this year, had planned to have a LOT of people. Unfortunately, my pastor brother has a funeral now, so we've scaled back again. So... how about next year? You would certainly be welcome - and hats are a must!

Incidentally, this all started because my granddaddy grew up on a horse farm, and he was always proud that he taught me two things: how to eat lobster like a lady, and how to handicap a horse! I really miss him.
Old 05-02-2007, 11:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadis96 View Post
Living about 20 minutes from Churchill Downs I have been going to Derby parties since I was about 2 years old and I have never had a Mint Julep I liked.

I did find some recipies though if anyone else wants to try them:
THE MINT JULEP (three ways to make them)

Let’s start with, the “classic” mint Julep

Begin by putting 3 o 4 mint sprigs in the bottom of a tall glass or stirrup cup. To that add a little water (I use a splash of Woodford) and 2 teaspoons of superfine sugar. We now want to muddle this to form a fine paste. Then, pack the glass with crushed ice and fill with Woodford Reserve. Be sure to put in a long straw and garnish with a mint sprig covered with powdered sugar. This is now ready for sipping and enjoying.

For a little easier preparation, here is, The Mintini idea

Start by pouring about ½ oz of White Crème de Menthe in the bottom of your glass. Top with crushed ice and fill with Woodford Reserve and add your straw and mint garnish

The easiest of all: Use Early Times pre-mixed Mint Julep.
Fill glass with ice and pour (Early Times is the official Mint Julep of Churchill downs).

Personally I am a fan of the new Oaks Day drink, the Lily these days.

A key ingredient of the “Oaks Lily”™ is Finlandia Vodka, the official vodka of Churchill Downs. The new cocktail’s ingredients include:

1 oz. Finlandia Vodka
1 oz. Sweet and Sour Mix
3 oz. Cranberry Juice
Splash of Triple Sec
When the ingredients are mixed, place the “Oaks Lily”™ in a tall glass with crushed ice, add a straw and garnish with an orange wedge and cherry.

I agree with the tall glass. I saw another post that said using the metal julep tumbler was ridiculous. But that's how I always had them. You know, they are small, tall, thin metal cups....But I guess they are served differently everywhere. I did not post on the other thread b/c they reamed a poster for talking about those tumblers.... YIKES. Glad to see so many interpretations on the julep.
Old 05-03-2007, 12:11 AM
GreekChat Member

A traditional mint julep should be in a mint julep cup. She said she served them in tall, stainless steel tumblers. There is a difference.

Mint Julep Cup: