GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,126
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, babobygooglet93
» Online Users: 1,967
0 members and 1,967 guests
No Members online

Old 04-22-2020, 08:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zTaalum View Post
Honesty I think it will be depended on what phase the individual state is in at that time. Many of the big SEC schools are well on there way to be in phase 3 by the time recruitment rolls around.
That's if they STAY in Phrase 3. I predict, unfortunately, that many places will revert because they 'left' Phase 2 too soon and that certainly can happen overnight in a crowded place like a college campus. Read today that there is a prediction of a worse Coronavirus this winter, on top of the regular flu.

I honestly can't see any school, at least the larger ones, willing to take the risk of thousands and thousands of students in tight spaces and having a spread which would jump like wildfire throughout the student body. I predict many will do classes online for the fall, then adjust back to in-person for spring.
Old 04-22-2020, 09:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCMS View Post
That's if they STAY in Phrase 3. I predict, unfortunately, that many places will revert because they 'left' Phase 2 too soon and that certainly can happen overnight in a crowded place like a college campus. Read today that there is a prediction of a worse Coronavirus this winter, on top of the regular flu.

I honestly can't see any school, at least the larger ones, willing to take the risk of thousands and thousands of students in tight spaces and having a spread which would jump like wildfire throughout the student body. I predict many will do classes online for the fall, then adjust back to in-person for spring.
Actually that was addressed in tonight press conference. Apparently the CDC doctor was misquoted or misunderstood.

“I didn’t say it was going to be worse, I said it would be more difficult,” Redfield said. "The issue I was talking about was that it will be more difficult in that we will have two viruses circulating at one time.”

Redfield said he wanted to urge Americans to get the flu shot next season in order to help minimize the number of flu infections in case of a recurrence of COVID-19."

Dr. Fauci and Dr.Brix also said it should not be worse and that they are pretty confident that they have plans on how to contain it so that it will not be like this past time. I will be honest I think you will see universities in Alabama , Georgia, Mississippi and Florida with on campus classes in the fall.
Old 04-22-2020, 11:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to flirt5721
I was on the recruitment call tonight and NMSU is looking in to possibly having a virtual recruitment. Not sure how that would work. They also said they are looking into other options that their peer institutions might be doing.

"The Pen is Mightier Than the Sword"
Land of Entrapment has me again
Old 04-23-2020, 06:41 AM
Super Moderator

How many girls normally go through rush at NMSU and how large is the typical pledge class?
Old 04-23-2020, 08:49 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUZeta View Post
How many girls normally go through rush at NMSU and how large is the typical pledge class?

Looks like the only have 5 chapters so probably a relatively small one. An online one may work for them but honestly IMOP I think if it has to be done that way everyone should wait until they can do it in person.

Last edited by zTaalum; 04-23-2020 at 08:55 AM.
Old 04-23-2020, 11:16 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to AZ-AlphaXi
Quote:
Usually about 125-150 signup and new member classes are 17-22. Total is usually about 60. Recruitment is in the fall after classes start.
Old 04-23-2020, 04:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ-AlphaXi View Post
Usually about 125-150 signup and new member classes are 17-22. Total is usually about 60. Recruitment is in the fall after classes start.
NMSU has a small Greek Life. 5 chapters, 3 housed, 2 with lodges. The last few years registrations has been below 200. Total is usually around 50-60. This is probably something that wouldn't work for a campus with a large Greek Life.

Old 04-23-2020, 07:16 PM
Super Moderator

I agree. In addition, this question popped in my head-what would be the attraction to pledge if everything had to be done at a distance? I would think bonding would be near impossible. Holding virtual new member meetings....initiation? Nope!
Old 04-23-2020, 09:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Well at least for the new member classes at my school that were going to be initiated after spring break they moved it to the fall. Plus with ritual/secrets/etc. it just wouldn't be possible.

Since 1888

If I can get a bid so can you; a longer recruitment story

Last edited by Cookiez17; 04-23-2020 at 09:09 PM. Reason: Spelling Correction
Old 04-23-2020, 09:46 PM

Quote:
I agree. In addition, this question popped in my head-what would be the attraction to pledge if everything had to be done at a distance? I would think bonding would be near impossible. Holding virtual new member meetings....initiation? Nope!

I can tell you we have been advised that NO ritual should be taking place in Zoom or any other virtual space due to security issues.

I have absolutely no idea what the alternative will be.

Lakers Nation.
Old 04-24-2020, 06:41 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post

I can tell you we have been advised that NO ritual should be taking place in Zoom or any other virtual space due to security issues.

I have absolutely no idea what the alternative will be.

Good to hear.
Old 04-24-2020, 07:57 AM
GreekChat Member

My group has decided that all spring PNMs just have to have the chapter check all the boxes on the initiation requirements and they will be considered to have been initiated. Will do a ceremony when appropriate.
Old 04-24-2020, 02:18 PM
GreekChat Member

The chapter is doing virtual NM meeting and chapter meeting but absolutely no Initiation or ceremonies done via virtually. Initiation has been move to fall when school starts again.

Old 04-24-2020, 02:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Same with my chapter. The new members are now recognized as "initiated" but they'll have a real ceremony and finish their NME in the fall.

Since 1888

If I can get a bid so can you; a longer recruitment story
Old 04-24-2020, 03:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Aside from all of these worries, I think some institutions will be forced to close due to financial reasons. GLO chapters at these schools cease to exist.