GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,125
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, PiperJarma
» Online Users: 1,085
0 members and 1,085 guests
No Members online

Old 04-04-2004, 08:19 PM
GreekChat Member

maybe to the rest of y'all, maybe you guys aren't a service organization. however, to me Iota is. and to many more people in the NPHC, their respective organizations are. the stepping, the calls, the loud nalia, the handsigns are a small part of us that we call the social aspect. yeah, we have wild parties at the end of our respective weeks during the school year, but during the middle...there is a self defense forum, habitat for humanity project, a sickle cell informational, teaching at the local Y, ect. the list goes on and on. and it doesn't matter what you call it, social action or whatever...the point being is that you're giving back to the community, trying to uplift the community. that in itself is service.

we all joined for the brotherhood and sisterhood, because we are fraternities and sororities. and you're right, there is a lot of social activity that goes on within our organizations. i don't know about you, but i'll never forget the tenets on which my fraternity was founded. service and giving back to the community is chief among them. no need to get your panties in a bunch because there are many of us who believe that the purpose of the NPHC is to give back and serve the community.

http://www.nphchq.org/about.htm

Quote:
From the NPHC Homepage
While NPHC affiliate organizations recognize the social aspect of Greek college life, the primary purpose and focus of member organizations remains community awareness and action through educational, economic, and cultural service activities. NPHC affiliates and their respective members have pledged to devote their resources to service in their respective communities, realizing that the membership experience of NPHC organizations goes beyond organizational membership during an individual’s college career. A lifetime commitment to the goals and ideals of each respective organization is stressed. The individual member is also expected to align himself with a graduate/alumni chapter, following graduation from college, with the expectation that he/she will attend regular chapter meetings, regional conferences and national conventions, and take an active part in matters concerning and affecting the community in which he or she lives.

Last edited by starang21; 04-04-2004 at 08:30 PM.
Old 04-04-2004, 08:32 PM
GreekChat Member

...and you may continue to speak on Iota because that's what you are an expert at. I trust your opinions on your interpretations of your fraternity's principles.

Nowhere in my post did i mention stepping, calls, paraphernalia, or handsigns as elements of the "social" aspect. Social just means "marked by or passed in pleasant companionship with one's friends or associates." That's what I enjoy about my fraternity in addition to the work that we do. As most people know, I am in a community service fraternity in addition to APhiA, and although I don't claim supreme authority on either, I do think I know what the differences between a service fraternity and a general (social) fraternity are.

Also, NPC/NIC organizations DO give back to their communities, be it in the form of the personal and professional development of its members, service activities, philanthropic activities...its there if you want to see it. Look no further than Alpha Epsilon Pi....in fact, there were more similarities between AEPi and APhiA than I ever would have guessed, once I took the time out to research what they were all about. (Thanks to the Georgetown AEPi's for being my first taste of "the other side" of Greek life.)

And my panties are not in a bunch just because I have a difference of opinion. I just choose to see the fact that we really are all Greek together (NPHC and NIC/NPC, for better or for worse) and that it does little good to continue the self-important attitude of "we're better than you because we were founded on service." That is neither helpful nor one hundred percent accurate across the board.

Also, the purpose of the NPHC is to serve as a coordinating body between all of our organizations, not as a monolithic institution that makes us all exactly the same.
Old 04-04-2004, 08:34 PM
GreekChat Member

I suppose this is indicative of where I live in the country, but the question "should mostly white fraternities and sororities be integrated" is outdated because it happened 15-20 years ago, when I was learning how to walk. My chapter was half white at about three years ago, which means we had over representation from underrepresented minorities on campus. It's died down a bit now, but the legacy remains.

That being said, I would LOVE if more people from differing ethnic and socioeconomic backgrounds took off their stereotype hats and gave us a shot. Actually, if you know anything about my campus, I want everyone to take off their stereotype hats and give us a shot! However, you can only do as much as you can do.
Old 04-04-2004, 08:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Senusret I
...and you may continue to speak on Iota because that's what you are an expert at. I trust your opinions on your interpretations of your fraternity's principles.

Nowhere in my post did i mention stepping, calls, paraphernalia, or handsigns as elements of the "social" aspect. Social just means "marked by or passed in pleasant companionship with one's friends or associates." That's what I enjoy about my fraternity in addition to the work that we do. As most people know, I am in a community service fraternity in addition to APhiA, and although I don't claim supreme authority on either, I do think I know what the differences between a service fraternity and a general (social) fraternity are.

Also, NPC/NIC organizations DO give back to their communities, be it in the form of the personal and professional development of its members, service activities, philanthropic activities...its there if you want to see it. Look no further than Alpha Epsilon Pi....in fact, there were more similarities between AEPi and APhiA than I ever would have guessed, once I took the time out to research what they were all about. (Thanks to the Georgetown AEPi's for being my first taste of "the other side" of Greek life.)

And my panties are not in a bunch just because I have a difference of opinion. I just choose to see the fact that we really are all Greek together (NPHC and NIC/NPC, for better or for worse) and that it does little good to continue the self-important attitude of "we're better than you because we were founded on service." That is neither helpful nor one hundred percent accurate across the board.

Also, the purpose of the NPHC is to serve as a coordinating body between all of our organizations, not as a monolithic institution that makes us all exactly the same.
the SGRho was talking about the NPHC. not alpha specifically.

Quote:
From the NPHC Homepage
The need to form campus-based councils to represent NPHC affiliate organizations is not motivated by a “separatist” philosophy. The establishment of councils assists in maintaining a distinct identity as “service based organizations,” as opposed to organizations that may be strictly social in nature; NPHC, Inc. does not advocate a disassociation from NIC, NPC, or NALFO organizations on college campuses. The council’s purpose is to promote unity and expose members to the “service for life” philosophy and foster leadership development and scholarship. Furthermore, the National Pan-Hellenic Council provides a forum for participation and interaction among the members of affiliate organizations and the organizations themselves. It provides for a stronger unified voice and a stronger unified body. The continued advocacy for the establishment of local councils not only stems from tradition, but also from the realization that many colleges and universities maintain organization registration policies requiring an organization to belong to a national organization and that national organization to a national umbrella organization, in order to function on that respective campus.

no one's saying anything about them not giving back to the community. and no one is talking about how we are prancing around GC with a holier than thou mentality. y'all might take that the way i type as much, but hey...that's more my personality (starang21, not starang21 and Iota Phi THeta),and has nothing to do with Iota. the point that we are about service is a fact, not a debating tool to prove a point. much as in the stepping thread, the point behind the whole service organization mantra is that there is more behind the pan than just getting in a train at the Iota party. yes, i love the time i spend with the bruhs from the joking with each other to doing the service. yeah, that's social. that's brotherhood. that's because we're fraternities. you're going to have that with any likeminded group of people regardless of organizational affiliation. and using this analogy, the NPHC was founded and continues to employ a group of likeminded organizations. much like the NPC or IFC.

Last edited by starang21; 04-04-2004 at 08:51 PM.
Old 04-04-2004, 10:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Since she's out of school, I imagine she has moved on with her life.
She wasn't out of school as of last semester.

Quote:
If I'm not mistaken, YOU were the first person to mention the Melody Twilley stuff in detail.
Well, I was the first person to honestly answer questions about it. There aren't many people on this board who were around when Ms. Twilley went through rush. I was merely commenting on the article that was posted on the "hero" site and the comments that were made by GC'ers after that.

Last edited by Bama_Alumna; 04-04-2004 at 10:46 PM.
Old 04-04-2004, 11:13 PM
GreekChat Member

OUrs already is. I guess Theta Chi just has to wait for everyone else to catch up, as usual.
Old 04-05-2004, 07:12 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to moe.ron
Can somebody throw me a bone here?
Old 04-05-2004, 12:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Coramoor
Responding to the original post, I remember the case of the black girl trying to join an all white sorority.

When I was reading about it, it seemed that the black girl wasn't joining b/c she liked the sorority or anyone in it, she joined b/c it was an all white sorority and the girl wanted to be the first black girl in it-start some controversy etc.

It wasn't a matter of wanting to be sisters, it was a matter of politics.
Old 04-05-2004, 12:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: "...maybe tomorrow I'm gonna settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on."
Send a message via AIM to Lady Pi Phi
Quote:
Originally posted by jubilance1922
...*A lot of white people do not understand the significance that NPHC orgs hold in the black community. These orgs are lifelong committments, because they are service orgs, not social...
I appreciate your post, and I think you'll find that most people outside the NPHC do not udnerstand it fully.

However, I do not appreciate the assumption that those in greek orgs. outside the NPHC do not have a lifelong commitment to their organization because they are classified as social groups not service.
I apologiez if this is not what you were saying, but that is the way I understood it.
Old 04-05-2004, 01:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to jubilance1922 Send a message via Yahoo to jubilance1922
Quote:
Originally posted by Lady Pi Phi
I appreciate your post, and I think you'll find that most people outside the NPHC do not udnerstand it fully.

However, I do not appreciate the assumption that those in greek orgs. outside the NPHC do not have a lifelong commitment to their organization because they are classified as social groups not service.
I apologiez if this is not what you were saying, but that is the way I understood it.
My point was that in many black communities, your fraternity/sorority affiliation is important. Even now, my mom will mention someone to me, and then she'll say, "you know, she's a Delta/AKA/Zeta/SGRho". My point was that because NPHC orgs are lifelong, it is an important affiliation in the black community.

And you must admit, many times you hear people in IFC or NPC orgs say, "I WAS a XYZ. Most people in NPHC orgs say "I AM a ABC.
Old 04-05-2004, 01:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: "...maybe tomorrow I'm gonna settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on."
Send a message via AIM to Lady Pi Phi
Quote:
My point was that in many black communities, your fraternity/sorority affiliation is important. Even now, my mom will mention someone to me, and then she'll say, "you know, she's a Delta/AKA/Zeta/SGRho". My point was that because NPHC orgs are lifelong, it is an important affiliation in the black community.

And you must admit, many times you hear people in IFC or NPC orgs say, "I WAS a XYZ. Most people in NPHC orgs say "I AM a ABC.
I admit nothing. Everyone I have ever met has said to me " I AM XYZ"
Old 04-05-2004, 01:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to jubilance1922 Send a message via Yahoo to jubilance1922
Quote:
Whatever, I'm not talking about you personally. Whether you want to admit it or not, it happens, and that was my whole point.

And it doesn't negate the position that NPHC orgs have in the black community, which was the whole point of that section of my post anyway.

Last edited by jubilance1922; 04-05-2004 at 01:18 PM.
Old 04-05-2004, 01:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to James Send a message via AIM to James
This is a true comment, emotional reactions and specific circumstances notwithstanding.

I would imagine that over 90 percent of members are basically inactive within a handful of years of graduation.

Posting on GC does not constitute participation.

Quote:

Old 04-05-2004, 01:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to James Send a message via AIM to James
Most people have used was that I have met. In fact its so common that a couple Sigma Chi's reallt stood out by insisting they ARE Sigma Chi.

Quote:
Old 04-05-2004, 01:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by James
I would imagine that over 90 percent of members are basically inactive within a handful of years of graduation.

Posting on GC does not constitute participation.
Also true in NPHC orgs.