GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,126
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, babobygooglet93
» Online Users: 1,139
0 members and 1,139 guests
No Members online

Old 08-22-2012, 10:13 AM
GreekChat Member

Female astronauts in NPC and NPHC organizations

Sally Ride, the first American woman in space, died of pancreatic cancer on July 23, 2012 at the age of 61. Although there are some reports on the Internet that the first woman in space was a member of a Greek-letter organization, I could find no collaborating evidence. Ride attended Swarthmore College, a college that at the time had no women's fraternities, and then transferred to Stanford University. When she was an undergraduate at Stanford in the 1970s, the women’s fraternities hadn’t yet been allowed back on campus.

Judith Resnick, Ph.D., the second woman in space, was the first American astronaut to be a member of a National Panhellenic Conference organization. Resnick, an Alpha Epsilon Phi from the Carnegie Mellon University chapter, was also the first Jewish-American in space. She was killed in the January 28, 1986 Challenger disaster. Alpha Epsilon Phi’s Foundation established the Judith Resnick Memorial Scholarship as a tribute to her. Preference is given to members who are pursuing engineering, science or other related degrees. The sorority also presented a portrait of Resnick to her alma mater, Carnegie Mellon University.

There are several other female astronauts who belong to NPC and NP-HC organizations. See the complete list at http://wp.me/p20I1i-le

Last edited by nyapbp; 08-22-2012 at 04:21 PM.
Old 08-22-2012, 10:26 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
This is awesome, thanks for the post!

I think it's kinda silly how we all brag about "celebrities" and what-not in our orgs, but often miss out on really notable alumnae who may be lesser-known.
Old 08-22-2012, 10:28 AM
GreekChat Member

Mae Jemison

Also, NPHC (no dash).

Last edited by Senusret I; 08-22-2012 at 10:33 AM.
Old 08-22-2012, 11:05 AM
GreekChat Member

2 Chi Omega alumnae who are astronauts:
Susan Helms (Pi Gamma chapter - Univ. of New Mexico) -- 1st women to live on the International Space Station
Kate Rubins (Kappa Lambda chapter - UC San Diego) -- member of the 20th NASA astronaut class (graduated as an Astronaut Nov. 2011)
Old 08-22-2012, 11:27 AM
GreekChat Member

Dr. Bonnie Dunbar is a NASA astronaut and a KD alumna from Sigma Iota chapter (Washington).
Old 08-22-2012, 02:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks for the typo corrections and the addition of Kate Rubins.
Old 08-22-2012, 03:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Rhea Seddon is a Sigma Kappa

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Margaret_Rhea_Seddon

Pretty impressive!

Old 08-22-2012, 03:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Laurel Salton Blair Clark, MD (Gamma Phi Beta)

Laurel Salton Blair Clark MD was an initiate of Gamma Phi Beta at University of Wisconsin-Madison. She lost her life aboard the Space Shuttle Columbia in 2003. NASA memorabilia belonging to Dr. Clark is on display in the Sorority's International Headquarters Museum in Centennial, Colorado.

The Gamma Phi Beta Foundation established the Laurel Salton Blair Clark MD Memorial Leadership Endowment in 2004. The endowment has been generously funded by sisters, friends and the family of Dr. Clark and funds Gamma Phi Beta's Leader Shape Institute, regional leadership conferences, collegiate consultant training and International Convention education programs.

She was a beloved member of her chapter and continues to inspire young women and Gamma Phis to set high goals, to study science and space exploration through her enduring legacy. Dr. Clark epitomized Gamma Phi Beta's founding principles of Love, Labor, Learning and Loyalty.

True Lives to Live From Day to Day

Old 08-22-2012, 03:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Alpha Xi Delta - Jan Davis, Georgia Tech: Astronaut with four successful space missions
Old 08-22-2012, 05:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to AZ-AlphaXi
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubaiSis View Post
Alpha Xi Delta - Jan Davis, Georgia Tech: Astronaut with four successful space missions
Including a mission with her husband, which made them the first married couple in space.