GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Fraternity Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Fraternity Recruitment Recruitment event ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,366
2 members and 2,364 guests
TLLK

Old 05-26-2008, 05:15 PM
GreekChat Member

1.) Wearing jean shorts (SECDomination probably sees a lot of these ). You will not get a bid... jean shorts were [marginally] cool about 10 years ago, now they are trashy and redneck. A nice polo and Khakis is a cant miss.
2.) Being overly cocky, nobody wants a pledge who thinks that they are too good to perform menial tasks, see #7
3.) One word answers. Be conversational, social skills are the most important thing that somebody can possess. The importance of this skill can not be stressed enough.
4.) Don't talk about how much you can drink or how drunk you were the other night unless a really good story comes along with it.
5.) Getting drunktaneous at rush events. Fraternities do not want people with no self control, it becomes a huge risk to pledge someone who can't control themselves.
6.) Do not hook up with girls at rush events unless they are of the highest quality and you have checked to make sure that they are not an active's girlfriend or even an active's potential girlfriend. Nothing is worse than pissing off a brother or receiving the nickname "free willy" in the first week of pledgeship.
7.) Trying too hard. You do not need to convince the brothers that you are the coolest person ever and they should initiate you on the spot. Be yourself and if you are a fit in that particular organization then you will receive a bid. Have faith in the fraternity, they have been doing this way longer than you.
8.) Name dropping. Goes in line with trying too hard. If you are well connected and friends with a lot of the actives then the brothers will tell the people on bid team this, you don't need to mention it.
9.) Spending less than 45 minutes at a given house. If you want a bid then you have to show the brothers that you're serious. Spend time at the house getting to know people, even if you don't pledge there you can make connections that last for a while. (I get free pizza because of somebody I met in another fraternity during rush, we really hit it off). Meet every brother that you can, the more, the better.
10.) Dress nicely. Avoid hoodies, sandals with socks, etc. Business casual is the best way to go, collared shirt and pants or khaki shorts in warm weather. In the south avoid muscle tees and cargo shorts.
11.) Do not expect a bid just because you're a legacy or know a few guys in the house. Act as if you really want a big and are unsure if you're getting one.

Tips to impress, now that you know what to avoid doing, here are a few pointers that may get you bonus points.
1.) Bring attractive girls with you. This is the absolute best way to get attention and respect from the actives. Find the best looking girls that you know from high school or whatever and bring them with you when you rush.
2.) Go to the post-rush events (if they have them) AND show that you are socially adept. The most important quality in pledges (and arguably in life) is the ability to socialize with everyone (brothers, girls, alumni, parents, etc.)
3.) Have a lot of knowledge and the ability to carry on conversations.
4.) Use manners. If you are offered food, take it. Hold the door for women and don't swear with any women in earshot, basic things that your mother has been teaching you since you were little.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 05-26-2008, 09:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by als463 View Post
As far as clothing goes-I don't mean to be too nit-picky but, after reading the "Biggest Rush Mistakes" and "Meanest thing you've ever done/ said to a rushee" I worry....I had no clue fraternities could be so blatantly mean to people they don't care for. Then again-my guy isn't some bragging jackass like some of these guys that have probably been dismissed.
As someone who posted a pretty cruel method for dumping rushees in that thread, I should elaborate a bit on that.

I thought it was funny and appropriate back then, and I still feel that way today. But, for me at least, that was reserved for guys who showed up trashed to rush parties or drank a lot there and were risk management issues, or people who were so obnoxious that they had to be gotten rid of. If a lady we knew was at a rush party and complained about a rushee, then that meant it was time for him to leave that very second.

There is an old saying at Texas that probably applies to many southern schools- you are Greek or you are not. Take that any way you like, but what it means is that the Greeks are a very well known and defined population within a campus- and incoming freshman usually have a pretty good idea whether they might be interested or not.

When I was in college, we rarely had guys come to rush parties who were just totally clueless. Sometimes we did, but usually not.

So the guys we wanted to get rid of by walking them out- or sending them to other chapters and pretending they were a hot candidate over there- were guys who wanted to be there, but had not done a good job of preparing themselves for what was expected of them. And it goes even further than that for the ones we really messed with. Those were guys who were out of control with their drinking, disrespectful to women or who really put on a big attitude about themselves.

We all care about our chapters, the safety of our members and the reputation of our houses. A guy who comes to college and does not have the basic maturity to at least try and understand that needs to learn a lesson fast.

Point being, I am sorry if you got the impression from other threads that we are all a bunch of sadists who like to mess with people who are not cool/rich enough to be in our chapters. We aren't. But we damn sure enjoy messing with guys who put us at risk recklessly or show blatant disregard- and that is an attitude I have to this day in my business dealings, and it still works for me.

Your friend has a great ally in you. You are doing some good homework on his behalf and I can tell you that my chapter would always have respect for anyone who served their country. It is about the only way we would take in someone who was older than usual- and we have done it before, and it has worked out.

Anyhow, sorry for the long rant- but I wanted to clarify all that.
Old 05-27-2008, 01:11 AM
GreekChat Member

good call
Old 05-27-2008, 10:27 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EE-BO View Post
As someone who posted a pretty cruel method for dumping rushees in that thread, I should elaborate a bit on that.

I thought it was funny and appropriate back then, and I still feel that way today. But, for me at least, that was reserved for guys who showed up trashed to rush parties or drank a lot there and were risk management issues, or people who were so obnoxious that they had to be gotten rid of. If a lady we knew was at a rush party and complained about a rushee, then that meant it was time for him to leave that very second.

There is an old saying at Texas that probably applies to many southern schools- you are Greek or you are not. Take that any way you like, but what it means is that the Greeks are a very well known and defined population within a campus- and incoming freshman usually have a pretty good idea whether they might be interested or not.

When I was in college, we rarely had guys come to rush parties who were just totally clueless. Sometimes we did, but usually not.

So the guys we wanted to get rid of by walking them out- or sending them to other chapters and pretending they were a hot candidate over there- were guys who wanted to be there, but had not done a good job of preparing themselves for what was expected of them. And it goes even further than that for the ones we really messed with. Those were guys who were out of control with their drinking, disrespectful to women or who really put on a big attitude about themselves.

We all care about our chapters, the safety of our members and the reputation of our houses. A guy who comes to college and does not have the basic maturity to at least try and understand that needs to learn a lesson fast.

Point being, I am sorry if you got the impression from other threads that we are all a bunch of sadists who like to mess with people who are not cool/rich enough to be in our chapters. We aren't. But we damn sure enjoy messing with guys who put us at risk recklessly or show blatant disregard- and that is an attitude I have to this day in my business dealings, and it still works for me.

Your friend has a great ally in you. You are doing some good homework on his behalf and I can tell you that my chapter would always have respect for anyone who served their country. It is about the only way we would take in someone who was older than usual- and we have done it before, and it has worked out.

Anyhow, sorry for the long rant- but I wanted to clarify all that.

EE-BO, I'm sorry if it came off that I thought you were all a bunch of jerks-I didn't mean that at all. What I meant was that I would not want to send him to a house of guys that who look down on him because he was older or because he had transferred from somewhere else. Trust me when I say that he does not party too hard and is the farthest thing from a risk management issue...he likes to drink but, he doesn't feel the need to get smashed.

I guarantee that he is much like me where he would have no problem being "sober brother" (or whatever the guys call them) whenever asked. I was the same way-I can party and get sloppy drunk but, I would not do that at a sorority/ fraternity function because I would not want to make my organization look bad-so, I usually volunteered to be "sober sister" since I know how I get when I drink but, mainly because I was double majoring and in the military--so, I didn't always have time to party.

He does not brag about his military service or his high GPA but, he is proud of his accomplishments. I personally believe (of course, I am partial) that he would be a great asset to ANY fraternity, as he is not going to choose one fraternity over another because one has a more active social calendar. As I said before-it's about "brotherhood" (which I love that people express that all over Greekchat-another reason I love talking to people on here)...

Thank you for clarifying but, EE-BO...I never thought you were nasty or mean-so, you don't have to worry about that with me. You and the rest of the guys on here (and some of the ladies) have given me some great advice....The more he knows-the better off he will be. Even if you guys give us a list of things NOT to do (aside from get smashed and upset the girls at the party)....please feel free to throw it out there.