GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Fraternity Recruitment

Fraternity Recruitment Recruitment event ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,127
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, asamathattso539
» Online Users: 1,415
2 members and 1,413 guests
indygphib, Sarak24034

Old 07-19-2007, 11:23 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to banditone
Suiciding?

Question: What does this statement mean?

"We have 25 candidates with four more (so far) committed to suicide during fall rush"
Old 07-19-2007, 11:25 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to AlwaysSAI
Quote:
Originally Posted by banditone View Post

"We have 25 candidates with four more (so far) committed to suicide during fall rush"
It means that there are a total of 29 candidates, but four of them are only going to list one sorority on their pref card.
Old 07-19-2007, 11:30 AM
GreekChat Member

It's a fraternity.

And what is the point of doing that?
Old 07-19-2007, 11:46 AM

The point is that, if you can't be in that group, you would rather not be Greek at all.

I'm not sure what it means in fraternity-land...maybe that they've already said they won't be visiting any other fraternities or pledging anywhere else?
Old 07-19-2007, 11:50 AM
GreekChat Member

OK, here's another question.

If you had a group doing that, going through formal, could they be plants (spy's) put in only to try and sway others?

That's what is confusing. Why do they state they have a certain number of "pledges", yet others that are doing that suicide thing.
Old 07-19-2007, 11:53 AM
GreekChat Member

It may be that the four "suicides" are planning to only rush the one fraternity (I know some IFCs have bid cards or the like, but I'm not familiar with that type of fraternity rush) as opposed to going to visit multiple fraternities.
The other 25 candidates (pnm, I assume?) may be planning to visit other fraternities in addition to the fraternity which published this statement.
Does that make sense? I'm just guessing, but that's my best stab at it.
Also, unless the plants were a.) already acquainted withe the pnm or b.) really great salesmen I don't see how they could influence an intelligent pnm more than the actual fraternities themselves.
Old 07-19-2007, 03:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

Can you provide a little more context to how this statement was used? As in the type (Summer?) of rush. In any case, I agree with both 33girl and SWTXBelle.

Here is a possible IFC scenario. Some campuses have Summer Rush events. However, the actual official bid may not be extended until during Fall Rush. Kentucky (UK) and Ole Miss do this - allow Summer Rush but bids extended during Fall Rush. So this may be a situation where the chapter has 25 candidates (rushees) lined up ready to accept a bid. The four that are "committed to suicide", seems to mean that they (the four) will only accept party invites to this chapter during Fall Rush. Again, this is just a guess and it really depends on how the IFC rush is set up on that campus.

A couple of examples.

At UK, chapters may have Summer Rush events. Some are open to any rushee while other events may be by invitation only. Some might be a "one on one" type of event such as taking a rushee out for lunch or supper. Regardless, no bid may be extended at this time. Come fall, the rushee signs up for Fall Rush and may attend as many fraternity parties/events the first three days (Monday through Wednesday) as they want. Note, the rushee may attend events for just one chapter or up to all twenty-one chapters. Rush starts on a Monday but a bid may not be extended until Thursday at Noon. Some chapters have invite only Thursday and Friday while others may still have open events. Thus, a rushee might only attend events at one chapter with the hope they receive a bid on Thursday. It is possible to not attend any Fall Rush parties and receive a bid on Thursday based on the Summer Rush. In any case, this would be UK's version of an IFC suicide - only attending events at one chapter.

At Ole Miss, the rushee may attend Summer Rush events as well. Again, no bid may be extended at this time. The difference between UK's and Ole Miss' rush is that Ole Miss' is more structured. Somewhat similar to NPC recruitment. My understanding is that the rushee must attend an open house party for every fraternity. After this "round" the fraternities extend invites and the rushee selects which chapters he would like to go back to (there is a limit of invites the rushee may accept). My guess is that most rushees attend the maximum number of events and receive more than one bid after the preference round. However, other rushees may attend (accept) only one chapter's invites - the chapter he intends to suicide. Or maybe early on they attend more events "just for fun" but know all along they are only going to attend (accept) one preference invite. In either case, this would be Ole Miss' version of IFC suicide - attend the necessary number of events until the rushee is allowed to accept just one event invite and/or their bid.

Quote:
OK, here's another question.

If you had a group doing that, going through formal, could they be plants (spy's) put in only to try and sway others?

That's what is confusing. Why do they state they have a certain number of "pledges", yet others that are doing that suicide thing.
It is possible that an IFC rushee knows he will receive a bid (and accept) from a chapter prior to attending Fall Rush. Some campuses may require that before the bid may be accepted, the rushee must attend X number of parties during Fall Rush. Thus he could "spy" on the other rushees and give updates to the chapter he intends to join. Again, it would depend on how the specific campus has their IFC rush set up. There may be IFC rush rules about what may or may not be discussed and when or how.

One other scenario. Again, without knowing the context of the IFC and rush, this is just a guess. If the campus allows bids to be extended and accepted during Summer Rush, then it may be that 25 candidates have accepted. However, the other four were unable to attend Summer Rush events and/or were ineligible to accept a bid then and must wait until Fall Rush to do so. And they have indicated they will only rush that chapter.
Old 07-19-2007, 06:02 PM
GreekChat Member

this is not a know Guy thing!

It is a girl thing!

They are different!

Oh yes of course they be!

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 07-20-2007, 12:12 PM
GreekChat Member

TSteven, THANKS! Very good and informative information there.

Earp, once again, I can not even guess as to what your post means!!!!?? thanks guys!
Old 07-27-2007, 01:16 PM
GreekChat Member

I was considered a "Suicide Rush Guest" I meet Sigma Nus at the end of spring quarter (my first quarter on campus) in class and started talking to them. I did some research about them locally as well on a national level. I did this same research for the other houses on campus. I decided that I wanted to be a Sigma Nu and the thought never even crossed my mind that they would not give me a bid. I meet the recruitment chair the first day of fall classes and I even helped him prep for a rush event during the first week. I was considered a lock prior to the last 2 events and they began using me as a rush tool for other guys. I developed a quick bond with the brothers in Sigma Nu and never even talked to any other houses.

The strange part is that I never went to any of the other houses events and I still received a bid from 2 other houses. I choose Sigma Nu of course....

So I guess a Suicide would be a person who only chooses one house and throws all of his eggs in one basket....