GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > News & Politics

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,126
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, babobygooglet93
» Online Users: 1,321
1 members and 1,320 guests
No Members online

Old 03-24-2007, 04:10 PM
GreekChat Member

UF says 'no degree for you!' to Jeb

http://www.cnn.com/2007/POLITICS/03/....ap/index.html

Can someone please explain what the point of an "honorary" degree is for?

I've honestly never understood what the point of a degree that you didn't even study for is?
Old 03-24-2007, 04:19 PM
GreekChat Member

I agree that honorary degrees are kind of stupid. I do think its ridiculous that Jeb didn't get one though. Their excuse was that he didn't really help UF that much (despite the big gains made at the school while he was governor), which is a thinly veiled code for "we're far left and we don't like him cause his last name is Bush." I hate it when professors act as though they represent the university as a whole. I remember when Cheney came to speak at graduation at AU, some professors were talking about how we don't want him at Auburn, ignoring the fact that most everyone but them did want him to come. Professors usually exist on the fringe of a school's overall ideology.
Old 03-24-2007, 06:25 PM
GreekChat Member

I get the idea of giving a speaker at graduation an honorary degree (not sure WHY but ok it's a tradition). The article doesn't say why they'd even be giving him a degree in the first place. If it was for no particular or traditional reason I don't know why they'd give him one.

EDIT: I went back and it seems like they give out a few honoraries every year and it sounds like the voters were split on whether he'd actually helped or hurt the university. Sounds reasonable to me. Those are the issues I'd base my vote on.

/edit

A lot of people from Florida don't like him for what he's done in office, not because of his relatives. True, the fact that he's a Bush doesn't help, but from the complaints I've heard over the past years, it's not just that.

Last edited by Drolefille; 03-24-2007 at 06:27 PM.
Old 03-24-2007, 06:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drolefille View Post
I get the idea of giving a speaker at graduation an honorary degree (not sure WHY but ok it's a tradition). The article doesn't say why they'd even be giving him a degree in the first place. If it was for no particular or traditional reason I don't know why they'd give him one.
The end of the article says that they would be doing it because of contributions to the university's research and scholarship programs.

I just look at an honorary degree like any other honor or award; something to be proud of, but nothing to read too much into either. As far as protests against speakers, I can think of two recent ones off the top of my head (Condoleeza Rice speaking at the Boston College graduation, and Justice Scalia speaking at UConn Law last year). It seems like it happens every year at a handful of schools.
Old 03-24-2007, 07:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSigkid View Post
The end of the article says that they would be doing it because of contributions to the university's research and scholarship programs.

I just look at an honorary degree like any other honor or award; something to be proud of, but nothing to read too much into either. As far as protests against speakers, I can think of two recent ones off the top of my head (Condoleeza Rice speaking at the Boston College graduation, and Justice Scalia speaking at UConn Law last year). It seems like it happens every year at a handful of schools.
See my edit. There seem to be reasons both why and why not thus it doesn't seem like it was strictly a "Your name is Bush" thing.
Old 03-24-2007, 08:50 PM

Quote:
A lot of people from Florida don't like him for what he's done in office, not because of his relatives. True, the fact that he's a Bush doesn't help, but from the complaints I've heard over the past years, it's not just that.
Yes - and this is coming from a born and raised Floridian. (I've only been in GA for 2 years)
Old 03-24-2007, 08:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
See my edit. There seem to be reasons both why and why not thus it doesn't seem like it was strictly a "Your name is Bush" thing.
I wasn't disputing that part of your post, simply offering the reason (at least from the article) why the honorary degree was being offered.
Old 03-25-2007, 01:42 AM
GreekChat Member

My point wasn't as much that he is connected to the Bush line, but rather his conservative placement on the ideology chart. I have a tough time believing professors objectively looked at his contributions to the University and decided against it, considering how rare this type of rejection is. Also, obviously some people are going to be against him in Florida. However, a lot of people supported him and the state didn't exactly collapse upon itself during his tenure (neither did the school). It seems like the whole thing was in pretty poor taste and provided unneeded embarrassment. I'll save the rest of my anti-academia rants for another day.
Old 03-25-2007, 01:48 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by texas*princess View Post
http://www.cnn.com/2007/POLITICS/03/....ap/index.html

Can someone please explain what the point of an "honorary" degree is for?

I've honestly never understood what the point of a degree that you didn't even study for is?
I don't get that either. It makes me feel like I'm completely wasting my time earning a degree.
Old 03-25-2007, 02:00 AM
GreekChat Member

I think they're somewhat stupid, but it obviously doesn't cheapen the degrees we earn. Its gotten to the point where its mostly a symbolic gesture like giving someone a key to a city.

Thats the biggest problem I have here, it seems like the faculty turned what is traditionally a kind gesture into an embarrassment for the former governor. Now if this was something pushed for by Jeb and his people, thats one thing, but otherwise it seems like people who disliked Bush and his policies allowed this to become a spectacle.
Old 03-25-2007, 10:31 AM
GreekChat Member

Right, and I'm sure they ensured his lack of support as they saw if for years to come. (I realize he's not the Gov. anymore, but I wouldn't count him out of being able to influence funding in the future.)

It seems that the rest of us, when it comes to getting money from other people for the things we think are important, think it terms of being nice and respectful, and perhaps money will follow.

Faculty senates often seem to think if they insult or belittle non-academics enough, maybe they'll get more funding.

I'm not sure that the profs. attitude is the way to go.

Last edited by UGAalum94; 03-25-2007 at 04:28 PM. Reason: changing professors to senates: it's rarely individuals who do this.
Old 03-25-2007, 12:08 PM

I suppose this could be political.

On the other hand, I'm not sure any faculty senate is very happy with any governor (or ex-governor) at the moment because of cuts in state funding for higher education in most places I'm aware of. Some handle situations differently.

My strong suspicion is that the Governor's thoughts on the matter are something in the neighborhood of, "Who cares?"
The above is the opinion of the poster which may or may not be based in known facts and does not necessarily reflect the views of Delta Tau Delta or Greek Chat -- but it might.
Old 03-25-2007, 01:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs down

As a native Miamian who has only been out of Florida (the state) since June 2004, and a UF alumna, I just read about this in the Seattle Times (yeah, it made the paper HERE)!

I am disappointed that my alumni association, of which I have been a member since 1989, has bestowed this honorarium, but I am not surprised considering the conservative leadership of the group. And I applaud the faculty for their dissent. As a former public high school teacher in Miami, I am well aware of the cuts Jeb Bush has made in education at all levels. I'm glad the faculty "sent the message." (That CNN article just glossed over it; FL's public education system has been in dire straits for years...long before Bush took office, but he certainly did his share of damage to it.)

With all that said, it's just HONORARY.

Last edited by kdonline; 03-26-2007 at 01:23 AM.
Old 03-25-2007, 04:30 PM
GreekChat Member

What cuts did he make? Or recommend making to the legislature, which, after all, probably really decides funding?

How much did education funding shrink during his terms?
Old 03-25-2007, 05:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Yeah, the University of Florida's academic reputation certainly went down hill under Jeb...oh wait, complete opposite, my bad.