GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,130
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zmaisongoogleto
» Online Users: 1,432
0 members and 1,432 guests
No Members online

Old 05-06-2017, 10:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Podcasts

What are your favs?
I love True Crime Garage and Up and Vanished. Post your recs!
Old 05-06-2017, 11:07 PM
GreekChat Member

I love love love Crimetown. It's about the rise and fall (and rise and fall again) of Buddy Cianci as the mayor of Providence, RI. I'm a Rhode Island homer so I was already familiar with the material but the number and scope of people who are willing to speak out now that he's passed has astounded me.
Old 05-06-2017, 11:47 PM
GreekChat Member

AJC (Atlanta Journal Constitution) Breakdown is good but I couldn't finish the current season. It was the hot car death of a little boy. At first I could handle it due to it more being about the legal process, but when it got down to this poor baby being left in the back of the car by a dirt bag dad, it made me have to pause. I rec the first season and justice is served with that one. It's easy to find on iTunes. Criminal by Phoebe Judge is a good one. It's something different every ep.
Old 05-07-2017, 01:45 PM
Super Moderator

Dan Carlin's Hardcore History and Common Sense are pretty great. The Moth is a good listen, but not really a podcast so much as an NPR show in podcast form.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 05-08-2017, 05:10 PM
GreekChat Member

I listen to podcasts religiously these days, so I have tons in my queue. Aside from the popular ones (Serial, etc), I enjoy:
  • My Favorite Murder - True Crime - The 2 hosts focus on one murder (or attempted murder) case and give details surrounding it. They are comedians, but are respectful of the subject matter
  • Jordan, Jesse Go! - Interview - 2 longtime friends/comedians interview a guest host.
  • The Nerdist - Interview - Chris Hardwick does long-form interviews with different guests. It's clear that these guests typically do the "soundbyte" type interviews, so they let their hair down for this
  • Where's My 40 Acres - Pop Culture - Hip Hop / Pop Culture show with 4 hosts. Lots of the music I listen to today has come from them.
  • Undisclosed - True Crime - I started listening because of Serial, but the current series revolves around Freddie Gray. It's not a "story" as much as it is a semi-legal look at the case
  • The Vanished - True Crime - New to this one, but it's basically Unsolved Mysteries for missing people
  • 99% Invisible - Culture - Design/Architecture-related
  • Good Job, Brain! - Culture - Trivia podcast with questions revolving around a certain theme each episode
  • Sword and Scale - True Crime - One of the most interesting true crime series I've listened to, but this has included 2 episodes that made me ill when listening (I am not faint of heart, but these were *very* tough to stomach). They're pretty good about trigger warnings beforehand, though.
  • We're Alive - Fiction Storytelling - AMAZINGLY produced story-form podcast discussing a zombie apocalypse.

Some others:
  • The Read
  • Throwing Shade
  • The Black Guy Who Tips
  • Breakfast for Dinner
  • What's The Tea?
  • We Hate Movies
  • Pop Rocket (mostly because I used to listen to it when I lived in Boston so now I listen and pretend I'm still there )
  • How Did This Get Made?
  • Criminal
  • Freakonomics

There are a ton more, but these are the main ones that I never miss.

I can talk Podcasts all day so I'll be back to this thread for sure lol

Old 05-08-2017, 05:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jolene View Post
AJC (Atlanta Journal Constitution) Breakdown is good but I couldn't finish the current season.
I got about 4-5 episodes in, but the host's talking style wasn't jiving with me. I really want to continue it, but it'll probably be a while before I can bring myself to do it.

Old 05-08-2017, 10:38 PM

Some I like that have not been mentioned:

Generation Why
In Sight
Missing: Maura Murray

Lakers Nation.
Old 05-09-2017, 08:58 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post
Some I like that have not been mentioned:

Generation Why
In Sight
Missing: Maura Murray
I'm checking out James Renner's book about MM from the library today. He has been on TCG a few times.
Old 05-09-2017, 10:50 AM

My favorites:

The Moth - I like listening to people tell their own stories. Some are better than others.
This American Life
You Must Remember This- stories about old Hollywood; this previous season's theme was "Dead Blondes"
Serial
Dan Carlin's Hardcore History

I'll support the RedWolves, but in my heart I'll always be an ASU Indian. Go Tribe! (1931-2008)
Old 05-09-2017, 11:47 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaneSig View Post
You Must Remember This- stories about old Hollywood; this previous season's theme was "Dead Blondes"
Is this still going? I listened to the Manson series, but I'm not a big "Old Hollywood" person so the other stories were kinda bleh to me. Wondering if any new stories of note are up.

Old 05-09-2017, 01:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Ah! So many! I love podcasts for when I'm on a run, walk, hike or even a commute. Lots to keep me busy!
Old 05-09-2017, 02:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by knight_shadow View Post
I listen to podcasts religiously these days, so I have tons in my queue. Aside from the popular ones (Serial, etc), I enjoy:
  • My Favorite Murder - True Crime - The 2 hosts focus on one murder (or attempted murder) case and give details surrounding it. They are comedians, but are respectful of the subject matter
  • Jordan, Jesse Go! - Interview - 2 longtime friends/comedians interview a guest host.
  • The Nerdist - Interview - Chris Hardwick does long-form interviews with different guests. It's clear that these guests typically do the "soundbyte" type interviews, so they let their hair down for this
  • Where's My 40 Acres - Pop Culture - Hip Hop / Pop Culture show with 4 hosts. Lots of the music I listen to today has come from them.
  • Undisclosed - True Crime - I started listening because of Serial, but the current series revolves around Freddie Gray. It's not a "story" as much as it is a semi-legal look at the case
  • The Vanished - True Crime - New to this one, but it's basically Unsolved Mysteries for missing people
  • 99% Invisible - Culture - Design/Architecture-related
  • Good Job, Brain! - Culture - Trivia podcast with questions revolving around a certain theme each episode
  • Sword and Scale - True Crime - One of the most interesting true crime series I've listened to, but this has included 2 episodes that made me ill when listening (I am not faint of heart, but these were *very* tough to stomach). They're pretty good about trigger warnings beforehand, though.
  • We're Alive - Fiction Storytelling - AMAZINGLY produced story-form podcast discussing a zombie apocalypse.

Some others:
  • The Read
  • Throwing Shade
  • The Black Guy Who Tips
  • Breakfast for Dinner
  • What's The Tea?
  • We Hate Movies
  • Pop Rocket (mostly because I used to listen to it when I lived in Boston so now I listen and pretend I'm still there )
  • How Did This Get Made?
  • Criminal
  • Freakonomics

There are a ton more, but these are the main ones that I never miss.

I can talk Podcasts all day so I'll be back to this thread for sure lol
I'm so disappointed by My Favourite Murder- it started off so well, and now 70% of the episode is a tangent. It's also unfortunate that they spend time complaining about fans. Wish it hadn't gone downhill!
Old 05-09-2017, 03:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdInCanada11 View Post
I'm so disappointed by My Favourite Murder- it started off so well, and now 70% of the episode is a tangent. It's also unfortunate that they spend time complaining about fans. Wish it hadn't gone downhill!
I love their tangents lol

Most of the non-crime talk happens in the first half. I haven't noticed them veering off topic too much during the actual discussions. But since it doesn't bother me that much, I probably just ignore the tangents lol

Old 05-09-2017, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by knight_shadow View Post
Is this still going? I listened to the Manson series, but I'm not a big "Old Hollywood" person so the other stories were kinda bleh to me. Wondering if any new stories of note are up.
It has its ups and downs. I liked some of the episodes about the Hollywood Blacklist and liked the Manson series,too.

I'll support the RedWolves, but in my heart I'll always be an ASU Indian. Go Tribe! (1931-2008)
Old 05-09-2017, 07:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaneSig View Post
It has its ups and downs. I liked some of the episodes about the Hollywood Blacklist and liked the Manson series,too.
Oh yea! I remember the blacklist now. I did listen to those as well.

I think I pulled the ones with names I recognized (Elizabeth Taylor and ..., Marlon Brando does..., etc) but the others were tough for me to get into.