GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,452
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, saphqueen
» Online Users: 2,336
2 members and 2,334 guests
Low D Flat

Old 11-11-2007, 05:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Ohio State University Recruitment

Round 1 of Ohio State's Formal Recruitment has started, with the remaining rounds occurring after Christmas Break. Do we have any PNMs out there to share their stories?
  • Phase 1 Open House
    • Wednesday, November 6, 2007- 6-9pmand Sunday November 11, 2007 2-5pm
    • Saturday, Jan. 5, 2008- 10am-1pm
    • Tuesday, Jan. 8, 2008- 6-9pm
  • Getting to Know You
    • Saturday, Jan. 12, 2008- Noon-5pm
  • Philanthropy
    • Sunday, Jan. 13, 2008- 11-4pm
  • Preference
    • Saturday, Jan. 19, 2008- 12-3:15pm
  • Bid Day
    • Sunday, Jan. 20, 2008- 3-4pm
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 11-17-2007, 08:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Benzgirl, I thought I might have something to share, but it looks like my daughter will not be going through recruitment. She started out with an extremely tough course load, and is feeling overwhelmed. She thinks she wants to change majors. Things are a mess. She didn't go to the open houses on November 6th or 11th-too much to do with projects and tests. I'm disappointed, but I guess that's life.
Old 11-17-2007, 09:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: location, location... isn't that what it's all about?
Quote:
Originally Posted by OSU Maman View Post
and is feeling overwhelmed
Sounds like a typical 18-year-old at a Big 10 school.

Quote:
She thinks she wants to change majors.
Very few people I know actually left college in the major they entered college.

Quote:
Things are a mess...I'm disappointed, but I guess that's life.

I think you need to get out of your head and focus on your daughter and what she's going through. She can always rush next year, let her take the time she needs to adapt this year. And be careful that your being disappointed that she's not rushing (which sounds a little helicopter-ish) doesn't come across that you're disappointed in her. She shouldn't join a GLO for you, she should only do it for herself. And frankly, it really isn't for everyone.

I wish your daughter lots of luck and I hope she enjoys the rest of her freshman year.
Old 11-17-2007, 09:57 PM
GreekChat Member

When I said things are a mess, I was referring to her trying to decide what to do about her major. She is in the honors program and she needs to keep a certain GPA to stay there. I think she has the stress of wondering if she should stay in this major and risk losing her scholarship, or switch to something else that she would like that is not as intense.

WHO SAYS I AM NOT FOCUSED ON MY DAUGHTER AND WHAT SHE IS GOING THROUGH?! She has been calling and asking for my advice and I am trying to give support without telling her what to do.

I am disappointed because she hasn't had time to have much fun yet. Of course, I am not disappointed in her! She is a fabulous young lady who works hard in school. I am disappointed that she hasn't been able to participate in ANY kind of extracurricular activities--except for football games--lol.

When she told me she didn't think she would be going to the open houses, my comment was, "Oh, ok. How are things going with your calculus class?" If that's being helicopter-ish, so be it!
Old 11-18-2007, 09:21 AM
GreekChat Member

easy there. no need to get all defensive.
Old 11-18-2007, 09:31 AM
GreekChat Member

One of the nice things about the strange quota system at OSU is a lot of the sororities don't make quota and do a lot of COBs. Even if she missed the open houses, chapters do a lot of informal events in the spring and early next fall.

I know your daughter is stressed out about keeping her GPA up -- most of us were -- but it's very important to enjoy the entire college experience. This is not saying that she should pledge a chapter or hang out at the bars, but encourage her to join something. Most organizations don't require a huge time committment (maybe a club within her major).

Glad she is going to the football games (Basketball games are fun too). Maybe suggest she get into Block O for football next year. She's at the game anyways and it's a lot of fun. My niece has a blast sitting in Block O.
Old 11-18-2007, 01:12 PM
GreekChat Member

"I think you need to get out of your head and focus on your daughter and what she's going through."

texas princess, there is a need to get all defensive when someone tells me to focus on what my daughter is going through. That's what I have been doing. I have been a sounding board, not someone who tells her child what she needs to do.

To have someone tell me that my daughter should join a GLO for herself and not for me? What's that all about? I am disappointed for my daughter that she is not having much fun right now. I think college should be about academics first, but fun and friendships should definitely be in the mix in healthy doses. I never said I thought she ought to join a GLO.

I have read many of the posts on GC from moms who were over the top, off the deep end, or just not keeping things in perspective. I don't feel I have been one of those.

Benzgirl, thanks for your thoughts. Maybe things will settle down in the spring and she will want to consider informal events. Maybe not. That's fine, too. I just hope she will consider joining something. Many of her friends (who are in other majors) have joined student government organizations, dance clubs, or intermural sports.
Old 11-18-2007, 01:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: location, location... isn't that what it's all about?
Sorry, OSUMaman, I didn't mean to start a tizzy. I read your past posts and you made statements like you "hoped to get her hooked early" on greek life during orientation, and that sororities are something she "needs" to check out. You mentioned your daughter is shy, so I can imagine the cattle-call of formal rush at a big school like OSU makes her nervous. I totally accept your follow-up posts about your not pushing her into anything, I reacted to your post in this thread and the way in which it "read" to me. I tried to show how it "read" by breaking out some of your comments. Not trying to indict you as a good mother, I'm sure she's a phenomenal young lady and that you're a great mom. But just fyi, the way you posted, you did sound a little helicopter-ish. That's all.
Old 11-18-2007, 02:25 PM
GreekChat Member

nittanyalum, I did not mean to start anything, either. I am feeling a bit creeped out by having someone go back and anyalyze what I have posted in the past. Nevertheless, I did say I hoped she would "get hooked early on." I also said this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSU Maman View Post
I'm not really pushing her to join or not join a sorority. I am pushing her, however, to look into finding a group to become a part of. Ohio State is a huge school and she's on the shy side. I feel like I'm sending her to a factory. She needs to find a way to make it smaller. Although they should come first, academics are not the only part of college life. A sorority may not be for her, but she needs to check it out.
So if you think I sounded helicopter-ish, that's ok because you are entitled to your opinion. I think I am being supportive because I am NOT telling her she needs to join a sorority; I am encouraging her to get involved in activities at school, which includes chekcing out sororities. When she tells me she is too overwhelmed, I am dropping it.

Benzgirl, you have my sincere apologies. It was not my intention to de-rail your thread. I hope someone will come forth with some news on the recruitment front. I know one of my daughter's friends from high school attended the first open house night. (I didn't ask my daughter about her friend's reaction because I have tried to be very low key with any sorority talk.) I hope she liked it, though. She is very outgoing, smart, and a natural leader. She would be a great addition to any GLO at Ohio State.