GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Alpha > Alpha Delta Pi

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,125
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, PiperJarma
» Online Users: 1,095
0 members and 1,095 guests
No Members online

Old 10-09-2012, 05:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nauadpi View Post
Greek life had been previously associated with the University, but from what I have gathered it is a Jesuit school that believed that the exclusivity of greek life organizations did not fit well to its own goals and ideals. So the University was going to phase out greek life, but instead greek life chose to leave the university and still thrive. It is a relationship that seems to work as it isn't hostile, just not connected.
so how does it work not associated with the university? where do they hold meetings, recruitment, etc...?

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." Eleanor Roosevelt
Old 10-09-2012, 05:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to nauadpi Send a message via Yahoo to nauadpi
The chapters hold meetings in their houses and rent spaces off of campus (local church multipurpose room, American Legion Hall, etc) for recruitment. The big limitation is that they cannot directly advertise on campus. This just means they don't have tables on campus, but instead where shirts and are very vocal about their involvement. There are 4 chapters on campus, soon to be 5 after thursday (which is bid day). The average chapter size is 165 women. The university has about 2,650 undergraduate women, which means that already ~25% of undergraduate women are sisters in a Panhellenic sorority. So it does work.
Old 10-09-2012, 05:21 PM
GreekChat Member

At UC-Santa Clara - they have houses that are off campus and managed by individual house corporations. They have meeting there although, with recent chapter growth, many chapter events may be held offsite at an the house of an alumnae or at a hotel.
Old 10-09-2012, 06:42 PM
Super Moderator

I see on the back of the Adelphean that, after Santa Clara (which I always have to say in my head with an English accent due to Bend it Like Beckham!), there are Mississippi State University, Virginia Commonwealth University, and Sacred Heart University to be installed in the Spring. Then, we have Ole Miss as a recolonization! Would Sacred Heart be our Iota Alpha chapter?
Old 10-09-2012, 06:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to nauadpi Send a message via Yahoo to nauadpi
Quote:
Originally Posted by honeychile View Post
I see on the back of the Adelphean that, after Santa Clara (which I always have to say in my head with an English accent due to Bend it Like Beckham!), there are Mississippi State University, Virginia Commonwealth University, and Sacred Heart University to be installed in the Spring. Then, we have Ole Miss as a recolonization! Would Sacred Heart be our Iota Alpha chapter?
Depending if Virigina Commonweath University or Sacred Heart University installs first it would likely be Theta Pi or Theta Rho.
Old 12-27-2012, 05:34 PM
GreekChat Member

recolonization

Does anyone know of any possible recolonizations at SMU, LSU or University of Houston? Also, I think I saw that Valpariso and Valdosta are closed which surprised me because it seems like they were just colonized not too long ago. Is this true?
Old 12-27-2012, 05:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Valpariso (Eta Psi) closed in 2005, when my chapter closed (although mine has since recolonized).

Where did you hear or read that Valdosta is closed? They are our Delta Theta chapter. They are still open.

The only way for us to possibly recolonize/colonize at SMU, LSU or University of Houston is 1. the campus has to be open for expansion, 2. we have to send a packet in expressing interest in colonization, 3. we have to be selected to present and 4. we have to be chosen to colonize.

According to the latest Adelphean...

Fall 2012 colonizations
Christopher Newport University (Theta Nu)
University of Central Oklahoma (Theta Xi)
James Madison University (Theta Omicron)

Spring 2013 colonizations/recolonizations
Mississippi State University (Epsilon Eta)
Sacred Heart University
Santa Clara Panhellenic

(The two new chapters will be Theta Pi and Theta Rho depending on their order of initiation)

Fall 2013 recolonization
Ole Miss (Delta Sigma)

Virginia Commonwealth University was originally intended to be colonized this coming spring but it has been pushed back.

Old 12-28-2012, 11:14 AM
GreekChat Member

Thanks--I think I may have been getting the "V"'s mixed up....

Do you know if LSU, SMU or UH are or have been open for expansion?
Old 12-28-2012, 11:16 AM
GreekChat Member

Now I remember...I meant Villanova
Old 12-28-2012, 04:18 PM
GreekChat Member

I haven't heard anything about LSU, SMU or UofH, but then again, I'm generally not in the loop on those sort of things. I find out by checking out the thread about expansions.

Old 12-28-2012, 04:54 PM

LSU was recently open and I believe Alpha Phi was the only group that submitted - they were chosen and will colonize in Fall 2013, I believe.

SMU announced that they are open during the past year, and I don't believe anyone submitted (no big surprise.)
Old 12-28-2012, 07:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishpipes View Post

SMU announced that they are open during the past year, and I don't believe anyone submitted (no big surprise.)
I don't know much about SMU (heck I don't even know what the acronym stands for), why didn't any of the panhellenics not on campus submit? Is the campus horrible about greek life? It just seems odd that not one would submit.

Even with LSU (which I'm assuming is Louisiana State?) why would only one panhellenic submit? Isn't LSU an SEC school? Isn't greek life HUGE at SEC schools?

Old 12-28-2012, 11:56 PM
GreekChat Member

The reason I ask is that I think we have strong alumnae associations in Houston, Dallas and Baton Rouge. I could be wrong but I think both ADPi and ZTA still own their houses at SMU so I would assume that we would both eventually return.
Old 01-02-2013, 03:30 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADPiEE View Post
Now I remember...I meant Villanova
I'm virtually positive that Villanova closed. I used to use their site for a graphic, and haven't been able to do so.

For reference: Don't you think that, if your chapter is closing, the webmaster should state so?
Old 10-17-2013, 11:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeychile View Post
I'm virtually positive that Villanova closed. I used to use their site for a graphic, and haven't been able to do so.

For reference: Don't you think that, if your chapter is closing, the webmaster should state so?
I think it odd when I google a closed group and I can still find their cheery Facebook page or chapter website talking about their sisterhood, philanthropy, etc. Not that I want them to delete it entirely but it is a little misleading. According to Irishpipes' thread, Villanova has been closed since 2010.

Also, here are the newest chapters to add to the roll:
Franklin & Marshall College Theta Lambda 2011
Loyola University Theta Mu 2012 (53)
Christopher Newport University Theta Nu 2012
University of Central Oklahoma Theta Xi 2012 (54) Q=41
James Madison University Theta Omicron 2012 (68) Q=71
Santa Clara Panhellenic Theta Pi 2013 (?) Q=?
Sacred Heart University Theta Rho 2013 (47) Q=?
West Chester University Colony Fall 2013 (92)
Ole Miss Recolonization Fall 2013 (314 I think was the official number? I've seen a few)
Virginia Commonwealth University Colony Fall 2013
University of Pennsylvania Colony Spring 2014

Last edited by clemsongirl; 10-17-2013 at 11:07 PM.