GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Dating & Relationships

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,437
1 members and 1,436 guests
PGD-GRAD

Old 12-08-2003, 08:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to James Send a message via AIM to James
Gender vote?

I wonder if more men are comfy going to these places alone? And why?
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 12-08-2003, 08:48 PM
GreekChat Member

i hate going anywhere alone
Old 12-08-2003, 09:10 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm all about going places by myself. At least I don't mind doing so if necessary, I guess being from a large family makes me appreciate time to myself.

I go to the movies by myself b/c it is easier to go right after work, not to mention cheaper for a matinee movie. Going to eat by myself, I will if the place has a bar area to sit at, is fast food, or is a diner. I wouldn't go out on the town by myself though.

-Mark
Old 12-08-2003, 09:11 PM
GreekChat Member

I've never gone to a movie or eaten dinner out alone before. I don't think it's a big deal with either, I just never have done that before. When I'd eat in a food court or fast food place for a work lunch break, I'd usually read a magazine... but I normally don't like eating alone. I'd rather walk around and go shopping instead.
Old 12-08-2003, 09:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to MareImbrium
I have done both a few times and it's not too bad...well the movie part that is. Sometimes it's so hard coordinating schedules with someone to go see a movie so why should I deprive myself? And besides, you'll be watching the movie with other people too...just that they are not WITH you. The only time I've eaten by myself is at fast food places and this one time when I had a craving for Denny's.
Old 12-08-2003, 09:54 PM
GreekChat Member

I didn't really appreciate going out to eat alone until I became an adult. Even though I have siblings they were out of the house or were stepsibs and we didn't live together. Once I went to college though I started to do everything by myself as I lived in housing and I couldn't ever get time to myself. I am rather gregarious though, so I can always meet new people.

I probably go out to eat alone once a week and I often take a book and keep myself occupied. Sometimes if the place is busy I'll even share a table with a stranger. I did that on my way down from Alaska on the Ferry and met some really neat people (mom and son rode their Harley from Texas to the Arctic Circle and back again). I shared a table with a woman last week and she is now teaching me to knit. She is divorced and her boys are grown. She never had a daughter so she is happy to teach someone.

Movies I will not go alone to on a weekend night. Couples make me want to vomit, the theatre is more crowded, and it costs more. I love matinees and I have often been the only person in a theatre on a week night, and I like it that way. No obnoxious cellphones.
Old 12-10-2003, 07:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to MareImbrium
Quote:
Originally posted by aurora_borealis
I love matinees and I have often been the only person in a theatre on a week night, and I like it that way. No obnoxious cellphones.
I don't think I could stand being completely by myself in a movie theater. That sounds really scary.
Old 12-11-2003, 02:44 AM
GreekChat Member

Watching a movie by youself in a movie theater is kind of cool...I've experienced a few times, it makes me feel like I'm getting a private screening.

-Mark

Yes I know I'm wierd
Old 12-11-2003, 01:01 PM
GreekChat Member

I've gone to the movies by myself before. No one I knew wanted to see that movie but I wasn't going to miss out. I'd rather go with friends cause we have something to talk about afterward, but I would go solo again anytime.
Old 12-12-2003, 07:42 PM
GreekChat Member

I have gone out to dinner by myself a lot. I have also gone to the movies by myself a few times. I don't see anything wrong with going solo to dinner and a movie. I don't mind it at all. However, I do enjoy some companionship occasionally (i.e. sorority get togethers and weekly dinners with my GDI group).

The Trolls have taken over the Asylum!
Old 12-12-2003, 10:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by kafromTN
Watching a movie by youself in a movie theater is kind of cool...I've experienced a few times, it makes me feel like I'm getting a private screening.

-Mark

Yes I know I'm wierd
Then I am wierd too, I loved the private screening atmosphere. None of my friends wanted to see "The Pianist" so I used my movie voucher and saw it at 10:30 at night. I didn't feel so silly getting misty at the emotional parts.
Old 12-14-2003, 01:43 AM
GreekChat Member

I have no problem going alone to the movies or to dinner. I do it very often, mostly because I hate waiting for people to figure out what they want to do.
I don't feel weird about it because I don't go to the movies on the weekends or in the evenings when the crowds go. I want to enjoy the movie and get my money's worth (and I WILL tell somebody to be quiet!). When I go to dinner, I sit at the bar and order food. I probably would feel weird sitting at a table or booth alone. If I want to sit down at a table, I go for lunch (again, not when the groups go).

This may be off-topic, but I hate it when I'm in the mall and guys ask me why I'm by myself. It's a f-ing mall! Do I need a chaperone to buy clothes? Hanging out at the mall stopped being a social thing when I graduated high school (AGES ago)!

OK, back to the topic... I generally like doing things by myself because I have varied tastes and I want to explore them without 'friends' whining about how it looks to others. For example, I went snowboarding because I wanted to try it. I didn't even bother to ask anyone because I knew I would've heard "black people don't do that".
Old 12-17-2003, 03:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by absolutuscchick
I I go out to eat ALL THE TIME alone, I'm always going shopping alone (I HATE shopping with other people!)!!
I love this post!!! I am not alone!!! Yet I am!!!

I totally understand the shopping alone. I feel too rushed or pressured if in a group. Usually I go with one other person if not alone. I want to be able to take my sweet sweet time in some stores and skip the others all together. Plus I feel compelled to buy something if my shopping partners are. UGH. My mom is the best shopping partner...she's honest and she has a credit card.

But I do have some limits like if I eat alone its going to be fast foor or a causal bistro/cafe. I wont be going to Portabellas (THE place for dates) by myself anytime soon.

I've noticed, however, that alot of girls have a phobia of going out alone. When I lived in the dorms, everyone went to the caferia in groups of no less than 4! And I'm not anti-social by any means (I AM in a sorority for HeyZeus' Sake) I just don't see the need of having a "support group". Maybe its because girls are taught to stick together to protect themselves. Whatever it is I'm way to independant for that!!!
Old 12-17-2003, 04:47 PM

I just saw Return of the King alone. It wasnt that bad..........but at the same time it wasnt the same. I didnt realize how much I enjoy talking about the movie afterwards with someone, or seeing the looks on their face if they thought the movie was good or bad, or during specific parts, or laughing with someone.

It just felt weird. I probably wont do it again.
Old 12-18-2003, 12:03 AM
GreekChat Member

I went to see Return of the King with a friend...It was incredible.

This is why you call someone who has seen it, talk to people from the theater afterwards (great way to meet people), or post it on here and you will get replies.

-Just by $.01354 worth
Mark