GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,397
3 members and 2,394 guests
John, LaneSig, PGD-GRAD

Old 11-01-2002, 11:29 AM
GreekChat Member

greek housing

I'm wondering if other groups are having the hard time we are having, what is your housing situation?

Does your group own or rent the house.

If they own it who bought it the international org or the alumni association?

Do any universitities own and rent greek houses?

How about the other groups on campus?

Does your town have wierd zoning rules about which houses can and can't be fraternity/ sorority houses?

Are your houses properly zoned?

In case you are wondering I am an alum of WKU Ceres and the landlord just raised our girls rent so we will eventually need to find another house.

Thanks for the info I think I will post my questions on the board too.

hilbilymel
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 11-01-2002, 11:33 AM
Super Moderator

We currently rent our house from a landlord but our housing corp is making plans to buy the property and build a new house.

It's all properly zoned and everything.. The University doesn't have a thing to do with our housing situation. Has its positive and negative points. They TRIED a year or so ago to put us under the Department of Public Safety so they could keep closer tabs... but we wouldn't let them do it because they weren't giving us anything in the deal.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 11-01-2002, 12:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: greek housing

[QUOTE]Originally posted by hilbilymel
I'm wondering if other groups are having the hard time we are having, what is your housing situation?
We have a chapter room where meetings, some of the rituals, and recruitment, etc, are held.
Does your group own or rent the house.
The chapter rooms are leased by the University Housing department & the lease is for a term of 2 years at a time. I believe it's the same situation with the on-campus fraternity houses.

How about the other groups on campus?
*None of the sororities at MTSU have houses yet, but plans are being made for breaking ground in the next year or so (supposedly). Panhellenic Council and MTSU have a few things to work out (such as utility connections, zoning, etc) before anything happens.
*Most of the fraternities have houses here & most of them are on "Greek Row" which was built only 2yrs ago & they are really nice multi-million dollar houses. A few other fraternities have houses off-campus, and two of them do not have houses right now.
*None of the NPHC groups, to my knowledge, have any type of official lease for rooms or houses, but they will likely have chapter rooms within a year or so.
*A few of the career oriented and faith based Greek organizations(such as AO Alpha Omega, a Christian group) have off-campus housing that they aqquired on their own.

Does your town have wierd zoning rules about which houses can and can't be fraternity/ sorority houses? I'm not sure, but I doubt it.
Old 11-01-2002, 02:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: greek housing

Creighton does not recognize any Greek housing, so there are no official houses.
All 5 of our fraternities and 2 of the 5 sororities (including mine) have unofficial houses. They range in occupancy from 6-40 members.
I know that 2 fraternities own their houses and 2 rent (i dont know the status of the 5th), and the sororities are one and one.

As far as the chapter or individuals renting, I'm not too sure on all of them, but I know that some rent as a chapter while others are leased under indiviual members.

Of the 2 fraternities, one had there house purchased by their alumni org and the other by their nationals.

As far as our future status on Greek housing, we're not exactly sure where it's going. Unofficial houses are becoming more popular - I know we'll have 2 next year for our chapter.
But we are talking with Residence Life and may be working on housing with them in the future.
Old 11-04-2002, 08:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Unhappy More replies please

I posted these questions and was hoping to recieve more replies. Please respond I am really interested in how other groups housing situations work.

Thanks
hilbilymel
Old 11-04-2002, 09:13 PM

Mel -

All the sororities at my alma mater rent their houses. Some are owned by the university foundation but the uni doesn't impose any rules on them (I don't think).

Some of the fraternities own and some rent. All Greek houses are off campus and the school doesn't sanction them in any way.

They are all in properly zoned areas, but if a landlord is greedy enough he'll find ways to get around the zoning.