GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,286
2 members and 2,284 guests
No Members online

Old 05-09-2012, 10:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Questions about Starting a New Sorority

Hello all

Two of my friends that are not in an NPC/NPHC/Multi-cultural sorority are interested in founding a completely new organization. I know there are many threads on Greekchat about this but I just had a few questions that I didn't know how to search for that I hoped someone would have an answer for.

They want to start an a sorority that would be similar to an academic/service fraternity where people can join whether they are affiliated with a chapter already or not. I was hoping to find information about that on here because they would be the first founders and so they weren't sure how to set it up so it can be joined by more people.

However, they do want to have selective membership. There will be a grade minimum and they want to pick a group that will get along. Is this possible to do while still being able to do the above?

I'm sorry if these are obviously answered somewhere else. The service projects they want to do are awesome and I wanted to help them and figured this would be a good place to ask plus, I want to help get involved with them so I sure hope there is a way to set an organization up that allows more people to apply. Thanks in advance for responses
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 05-09-2012, 11:00 PM

This group sounds similar to what they want to do.

http://asg.truman.edu/ (website is super slow)

If they want to make it something you can join in addition to your NPC/NPHC/MCGLO group, they would be wise to ask some women from those groups with help in creating it.
Old 05-09-2012, 11:44 PM
GreekChat Member

But why isn't AOE or APO an option? I still will shout from the mountain tops that they don't need to reinvent the wheel. There are really a lot of sororities and fraternities out there, and to assume that if they're not NPC or NPHC makes them accept anyone is just wrong. Just because they don't have the same sort of rush process that NPC sororities have doesn't mean you sign up and pay your $100 and you're in.

Do suggest to them to do more research about the variety of academic and service sororities and fraternities out there (some accept both men and women), and do their best to pick from within that substantial pool. I'll bet you a dollar there's already an org out there that fits their parameters.
Old 05-09-2012, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubaiSis View Post
But why isn't AOE or APO an option? I still will shout from the mountain tops that they don't need to reinvent the wheel.
If they want to have selective bidding, or keep it all-female, APO is NOT an option.

AOE is for women in engineering and technical studies. Using an academic sorority or fraternity for something other than its stated purpose is inconsiderate and unwise. I know that sometimes chapters "evolve" into something other than what they began as but I don't think AOE would appreciate a petitioning group with nothing but education and liberal arts majors.

Last edited by 33girl; 05-10-2012 at 12:00 AM.
Old 05-10-2012, 01:45 AM
GreekChat Member

Those two options may not have been the best examples, but I'm sure there are plenty out there that do meet their needs.
Old 05-10-2012, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubaiSis View Post
Those two options may not have been the best examples, but I'm sure there are plenty out there that do meet their needs.
Then I would find one specific example before advocating this option.
Old 05-10-2012, 05:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
You can NOT be in an NPC sorority and be in AOE.
Old 05-10-2012, 05:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Maybe check out Beta Sigma Phi, they are always open to starting new chapters. Omega Phi Alpha maybe another option also.
Old 05-10-2012, 05:42 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm sure that if your friends have the initiative and tenacity required to establish and maintain a new sorority, they also possess the skills to do the required research.
Old 05-10-2012, 06:20 PM
GreekChat Member

What about phi sigma pi for an academic/service fraternity option? If you want it to be all female, OPA or GSS might be options.
Old 05-10-2012, 06:54 PM

Until an ACTUAL MEMBER of this or that national group comes on here and says that starting a chapter that:

-is all-female and intends to stay that way
-has selective membership and bidding
-has a GPA requirement
-is not based around a certain discipline or major
-allows members to maintain membership concurrently in NPC, NPHC or MCGC organizations

is OK, let's stop throwing names around like confetti.
Old 05-10-2012, 07:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xidelt View Post
What about phi sigma pi for an academic/service fraternity option? If you want it to be all female, OPA or GSS might be options.

For the record, GSS is not "female only". Though there might not be many, our constitution allows males to become members.

Old 05-10-2012, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
Until an ACTUAL MEMBER of this or that national group comes on here and says that starting a chapter that:

-is all-female and intends to stay that way
-has selective membership and bidding
-has a GPA requirement
-is not based around a certain discipline or major
-allows members to maintain membership concurrently in NPC, NPHC or MCGC organizations

is OK, let's stop throwing names around like confetti.
For Beta Sigma Phi:

--We do have a few chapters at some colleges. Most however are not because we are more community based. Thus, Beta Sigma Phi should never be promoted as an NPC/NPHC alternative as the experience is very different.

--Selective membership & bidding varies from chapter to chapter as each chapter is responsible for who they recruit. Some chapters will take any woman who is interested. Some will be very selective based on needs & preferences. Most are a good balance of the two.

--Because we are primarily a community-based sorority we do not have a GPA requirement or a requirement that one have a college degree. I would be shocked if any of the college chapters have a GPA requirement unless the university they are at requires it per all student organizations.

--Beta Sigma Phi does not have any rules against accepting members of NPC/NPHC or other groups. We have many members who are NPC and I know of at least one locally who is in PEO Sisterhood. I am unfamiliar with NPHC policies so someone from one of those chapters would have to weigh in on whether or not they allow their members to join a group such as Beta Sigma Phi.
Old 05-10-2012, 09:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Okay, so based on the OP's other posts, she is already a member of a sorority at a large state university. So why is she asking about starting a new org? If she is "helping" her friends, shouldn't her friends be doing the research and legwork?