GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Dating & Relationships

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 841
1 members and 840 guests
Cookiez17

Old 01-06-2010, 02:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchkin03 View Post
After this Christmas, I'm seriously considering not putting thought into a gift for anyone, or skipping this altogether. The family members who complain the most about not getting Thank You cards failed to even acknowledge receipt of presents. I received a kids' Dora the Explorer pajama set. It's not WHAT I received, it was the fact that no one whatsoever (with the exception of my sister and her kids, and one of my uncles) put any thought into what to give at all. It was as if they were just crossing names off of a list. I'd just rather not get a gift than a crappy gift that you just got because you "needed" to get me something.
I so agree with you. If someone feels obligated for their own well being a gift card is the way to go. They sell them everywhere and unless one purchases for a restaurant that doesn't exist in the area of the gift recipient most goods can be purchased via the internet.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 01-06-2010, 05:25 PM
GreekChat Member

We got a cheap video game from my in-laws. Nothing more. We spent $350 getting them new kitchen items and we got jack shit. Grandma-in-law spent more by giving us each $10.

At least my family got us decent presents.
Old 01-06-2010, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchkin03 View Post
After this Christmas, I'm seriously considering not putting thought into a gift for anyone, or skipping this altogether. The family members who complain the most about not getting Thank You cards failed to even acknowledge receipt of presents. I received a kids' Dora the Explorer pajama set. It's not WHAT I received, it was the fact that no one whatsoever (with the exception of my sister and her kids, and one of my uncles) put any thought into what to give at all. It was as if they were just crossing names off of a list. I'd just rather not get a gift than a crappy gift that you just got because you "needed" to get me something.
Um, what?

You're an adult woman. Why the Dora pjs? That seems really bizarre.

Lakers Nation.
Old 01-06-2010, 05:33 PM
GreekChat Member

I've been married for 7 years and with my husband for 9 years. In all that time, we have never received Christmas gifts from anyone in his family except for one year from his sister. Every year we give a large gift of money to his sister (though I've never heard thank you.) I guess my present is that I never have to see them.

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 01-06-2010, 05:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOII Angel View Post
I've been married for 7 years and with my husband for 9 years. In all that time, we have never received Christmas gifts from anyone in his family except for one year from his sister. Every year we give a large gift of money to his sister (though I've never heard thank you.) I guess my present is that I never have to see them.
I wish I hated spending time with my in-laws. I just hate how cheap they are. Its not like they don't have any money.
Old 01-07-2010, 08:06 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOII Angel View Post
I guess my present is that I never have to see them.
I'm pretty sure my IL's were only behaving b/c my parents were there since they came down to us this year.

At least my mom one-upped MIL by bringing them some coffee and home made bread.
Old 01-18-2010, 10:39 AM
GreekChat Member

I'm positive venting -

This weekend, my daughter in law came to stay with us (without my son - first time alone with us) to attend a wedding shower in our city. It was such a wonderful weekend!

We all went to dinner Friday night (hubby, son home from college, sr son, DIL and I), she was totally comfortable, just like she'd been part of the family forever. Then Saturday, I got her all to myself! We went to a movie (a girl movie with no guns going off - Yippee!), then shopping for the shower gift, then we actually went window shopping, which I NEVER do. It was a "girl day", and for a mom of all boys, something I have missed out on. Saturday night, we made dinner together for the fam, and drank a couple of bottles of wine and by the end of the night, she and I were sharing a blanket and laughing hysterically at nothing (probably wine induced). I finally had to give her up on Sunday when she went to stay with the girl giving the shower. We both cried when we hugged good bye.

I am so blessed to have that kind of relationship with my daughter in law, I'm just going to call her my daughter from now on.
Old 01-18-2010, 10:45 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by srmom View Post
I'm positive venting -

This weekend, my daughter in law came to stay with us (without my son - first time alone with us) to attend a wedding shower in our city. It was such a wonderful weekend!

We all went to dinner Friday night (hubby, son home from college, sr son, DIL and I), she was totally comfortable, just like she'd been part of the family forever. Then Saturday, I got her all to myself! We went to a movie (a girl movie with no guns going off - Yippee!), then shopping for the shower gift, then we actually went window shopping, which I NEVER do. It was a "girl day", and for a mom of all boys, something I have missed out on. Saturday night, we made dinner together for the fam, and drank a couple of bottles of wine and by the end of the night, she and I were sharing a blanket and laughing hysterically at nothing (probably wine induced). I finally had to give her up on Sunday when she went to stay with the girl giving the shower. We both cried when we hugged good bye.

I am so blessed to have that kind of relationship with my daughter in law, I'm just going to call her my daughter from now on.
Good for you! I guess everyone should try to have that kind of a relationship with their in-laws. I think my sister-in-law (brother's wife) has a pretty good relationship with all of us, then again we're just grateful that she married him!

AOII

Old 01-18-2010, 10:48 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
As well you should! What a wonderful relationship!

The byproduct is that she will she the positive aspects of having a wonderful mother-in-law and no doubt she will remember that when she is the MIL. I personally have been taking notes from my sainted mother-in-law. She is fabulous and I hope to one day have the same relationship with my son's wife. (he's only 3, but still....)
Old 01-18-2010, 10:49 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAgirl18 View Post
I wish I hated spending time with my in-laws. I just hate how cheap they are. Its not like they don't have any money.
Oh Lord! The first time I visited my FIL, we all sat the entire weekend on the couch without speaking. My family is loud and boisterous. We always have the TV running. At my FIL's, they don't even have CABLE! If you aren't going to talk to me, at least entertain me! The next time, I knew to bring a book!

The only time my FIL (who remarried and has a new son) calls my husband is to get medical advice about his new kid. He doesn't call to ask my husband how he is, to wish him happy birthday or happy holidays. Nope... my husband is a medical resource only.

AOII

Old 01-18-2010, 11:08 AM
Banned

Quote:
I'm positive venting -

This is beautiful.
Old 01-18-2010, 11:26 AM
GreekChat Member

Christmas with the Cranks

I finally have time to share the story of our first Christmas @ my FIL's... He is remarried so thankfully I didn't have to deal with my batshit crazy MIL... HOWEVER, my FIL's new wife is a different kind of crazy. LUCKY me Although we LOVE my FIL we typically visit when we know his wife will be @ work b/c neither of us can stand her.

Everything was going great and I say to the step-MIL "Oh hey the corn casserole is good, (even though I know her niece made it, she had to brag that it was HER recipe) I've never had it with sour cream. Her reply is an eye roll and a snort! WOW ok.... Then after dinner my hubby is moving to another table to sit and chat with his brother, who recently had a stroke and is having difficulty holding his fork steady, and she insists that she pull out the table so he won't have to squeeze past the wall to fit. He actually had to raise his voice and say NO PEOPLE ARE STILL EATING AND THAT IS RUDE!. Then as we're all sitting around having desert and my FIL is sharing a piece of cake w/my toddler she comes up to him to ask why she just got off the phone with her (insert random family member here) who says he told them NOT to bring by the chocolate cake she asked her to make for them... He replies nonchalantly with well she had ppl over so I told her to stay with her company as I had already bought a chocolate cheesecake anyway. She says oh so it was a miscommunication? He says rather annoyed No it wasn't I told her not to come. she asks well why b/c I asked her to make that cake and you made like we didn't want it... He says I don't give a rats ass, who cares? She yells (directly over my head now) Well you should give a rats ass cuz it's RUDE!!! And storms into their bedroom and slams the door... WTF who does that with company in the same room? so everybody is like Well time to go! lol (Imagine the scene in The Color Purple where Squeaky slaps Sophia)
Old 01-21-2010, 09:10 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to WinniBug
My maybe-nephew was born Tuesday night.
His maybe-daddy hasn't even been to see him or called his ex-girlfriend.
My MIL is mad b/c I've been in contact with the mama.

Oh, Jerry Springer with your DNA tests, where are you when we need you?
wherever there is fun, there's ALWAYS ALPHA SIGMA!

Old 07-01-2011, 12:23 PM
GreekChat Member

I thought about posting this in the wedding thread but it's too hilarious & I'm sure it will bring back memories from some GC posters regarding their own mother-in-law.

Future mother-in-law send bride nasty email. Guess what? Email was made public. LOL!

Your thoughts? Forgivable? Was the mother-in-law justified in sending that email? Should she have just talked it out with the bride-to-be in person? LOL! Should the email have been made public?
Old 07-01-2011, 12:25 PM
GreekChat Member

She's a real-life Hyacinth Bucket!