GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,466
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, Angelow
» Online Users: 1,468
4 members and 1,464 guests
aidancahvsoz240, navane, Phrozen Sands

Old 12-09-2009, 02:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by agzg View Post
There are quite a few things I don't like about Live-in's MacBook Air - almost enough for me to swear them off completely, but any PC or Mac is going to have issues unique to its design and/or operating system. It happens.

CG2, I don't want to be mean, here, but I don't think all your computer problems are going to be solved just by buying a Mac. Also, I'm not sure with Vista (since I'm still running XP like a stubborn bia), but I don't think you have to restart your computer immediately after doing an update. It needs to re-start to take effect, but you can finish what you're working on first. Although - it will keep reminding you to re-start. Annoying, but helpful because I know I would click the "remind me later" button and totally forget for hours.

To be honest, you should either do a lot of research or ask the assistance of a friend "in the know" (in person, not on GC unless it's via PM just because of the amount of information someone would need to get you going - sorry DS) who can help you pick the right PC or Mac for what you need, then you need to learn as much as possible about the operating systems, software and hardware of the computer you ultimately go with. It might limit some of the problems you have.

Also, keep in mind that Macs are VERY expensive (although Alex Albrecht said on a recent Diggnation that we will be "shocked" by the low price point for the new Mac tablet) and that's without a lot of the bells and whistles that you might find you'd need in a computer. Some say that's because they're better, but there is also an argument floating around that as more people get macs, more viruses will be developed for Macs, making them weaker than even PCs because they haven't had to deal with it as much before, so you might as well get a PC. That's not necessarily my argument, though.

Also, instead of Norton, maybe when your subscription runs out you could try AVG free. Live-in and I both run it on all of the PCs in the house (not the Macs) and we've had few problems, and it's not as annoying (I'll give you that) as Norton or McCrappy.

To avoid a double post, almost on the same topic, the same Diggnation where I heard about the tablet had the guy who plays PC in the Mac commecials on it (John Hodgkins, I think?), and I could not get over the fact that he was using a Mac. Then Live-in said "well yeah - Mac is his employer..." and I still didn't get it. Call it buying into the illusion but for whatever reason I kept thinking that since he was PC, Microsoft was his employer.

Durrrrrr.

1. I am laughing that we have number designations of our CGs on GC.

2. CG...she made some very good points on your anti virus issue. You should also check and see if there is a way to disable the notifications that you get from the software.

Now as far as the Mac issue goes, YES...they are expensive. So I would highly advise that you consider what pros and cons you have before making the move because it's nothing like going thru the change and a few months later your Mac is a $1000 paperweight. However, the one thing I can tell you is if you decide to swicth over, there is an option to "Boot Camp" your machine in order to split the drive to run Windows. Mine has Snow Leopard and Windows XP and I use Snow Leopard more and I keep XP on it in case I need it.

Lastly, I also have heard issues about viruses being devloped for Macs and thankfully there is AV software available for the Mac.

So, weigh out what you plan on doing and if you are still in contact with you IT friend you may also want to inquire about reformatting your machine to Windows XP...or forge ahead and get Windows 7.
Law and Order: Gotham - “In the Criminal Justice System of Gotham City the people are represented by three separate, yet equally important groups. The police who investigate crime, the District Attorneys who prosecute the offenders, and the Batman. These are their stories.”
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 12-09-2009, 02:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOEforme View Post
SNOW DAY!!!
My friends and family have been posting pictures on facebook of all the snow in Madison...you guys really got a lot of it! Hope you're enjoying the day!
Old 12-09-2009, 03:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaemonSeid View Post
As long as I'm #1, I don't care. It's better than back when we were "the black one and the white one." When people used that specifier, I cracked up--as though people can see us?!?!

Aarrrgggh I'm so bored without my TV and my car. I'm seriously thinking about taking a nap just to have something to do.

"My dreams have become letters." ~christiangirl
Old 12-09-2009, 05:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by christiangirl View Post
Yeeeeaaa Lucy! See, you were praying and hoping for a job and now, doggone, how many do you have??? lol
Thank you!
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheerfulgreek View Post
This is wonderful news, Lucy! I'm so happy for you.
and thank you!

I'm a sub for two different districts now. I'm going to be working in just this newest one for a month or two as an aide for this autistic boy I mentioned earlier. I can start as soon as my fingerprints get back from Sac-town.

I feel like saying, "Stop leaving mean comments on my Facebook statuses!!!" I defriended this chick cause she kept writing rude unnecessary comments on my FB. I wrote something about how cool it was to see snow on the mountains around my house and she said, "Hahaha, FROST!" She also made fun of some stuff I put up about Norwegian stuff I've been doing. I'm sorry that I'm not as Norwegian as you are. Don't forget, you're a transplant to Norway! You're from San Diego, and you'd freak out if you saw snow, too!! Biotch...
Old 12-09-2009, 07:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VandalSquirrel View Post
The one I have is a Honeywell brand I got at Walmart for less than $30 and it has the ability to oscillate as well. I wanted one with a remote control but it cost more and I'm cheap. The other one I use less frequently is also honeywell and doesn't have a digital display, but is round so you can have heat at 360 or 180 which is nice if you're putting it in the middle of a room or in a seating area that is three sided. I still haven't turned the heat on in my bedroom, and I think my electric blanket isn't working very well. it used to roast me on low, and it doesn't keep me warm on high now.

Where I live it is illegal to not completely clear your car of snow and ice for safety and visibility purposes. I love that I have a garage and on the rare occasion a storm hits while I'm parked outside at work I have excellent defrost inside the glass for the windshield and rear window, as well as the side mirrors and the windshield wipers. I put the seat heater on and let Subaru technology work magic.
lol
Ya know VS, this reminds me of the remote fan I have. I wouldn't mind having the same space heater you have, plus Honeywell makes really good products. I know at one time they were based in Minnesota. I'm not sure if they're still there. I'll pay extra for the remote, though.

Yep. It's illegal here too, but my car was still parked. It was almost all gone from the sun, so I didn't go out to brush it off. It's freezing here now and the wind is blowing like crazy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaemonSeid View Post

2. CG...she made some very good points on your anti virus issue. You should also check and see if there is a way to disable the notifications that you get from the software.

Now as far as the Mac issue goes, YES...they are expensive. So I would highly advise that you consider what pros and cons you have before making the move because it's nothing like going thru the change and a few months later your Mac is a $1000 paperweight. However, the one thing I can tell you is if you decide to swicth over, there is an option to "Boot Camp" your machine in order to split the drive to run Windows. Mine has Snow Leopard and Windows XP and I use Snow Leopard more and I keep XP on it in case I need it.

Lastly, I also have heard issues about viruses being devloped for Macs and thankfully there is AV software available for the Mac.

So, weigh out what you plan on doing and if you are still in contact with you IT friend you may also want to inquire about reformatting your machine to Windows XP...or forge ahead and get Windows 7.
I'm not really concerned about the cost, plus, I don't really think they're that expensive. It's just that a lot of people keep telling me they're so much better than PCs and more user friendly. Kinda reminds me of my old MP3 players. It took me awhile to buy an iPod because I didn't like how I was limited to just itunes. But my classmates all had iPods and they were saying how much better they were than other brands. So, I decided to buy one, and I loved it. I liked it so much that I bought an iPod touch. Now, there's no way I would even consider buying other brands. It's just that it's more user friendly, plus, itunes is so easy and fast. I just hear that Apple is better, so I would just rather have a Mac. My friend took me to an Apple store, and he was just telling me about all of the cool things they have. When I went in, I didn't want to leave. I was sold.
Trump For Prison 2024-2084 MAGA!
Old 12-09-2009, 08:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Um, Ipods are not just limited to Itunes.

I work with Windows, MACs and Ubuntu Linux operating systems daily. Every month, I have to install security patches that have been released on all of the systems. In fact, Ubuntu releases patches many, many times a month. Adobe installs security updates. Virus scanning software must be updated daily. These are basic computer maintenance things, like getting the oil changed in your car. There are security holes in every operating system. There are security holes in every application. There is a disconnect in training between network systems folks and programmers. User friendly depends a lot on what you're used to. I find Windows to be more user friendly because I'm far more familiar with it, since I use it about 15 hours a day between work and home. I'm sure if I got used to a MAC, having two mouse buttons would no longer seem important, but I am ALWAYS wanting to right mouse click on things on the MACs.. lol. It's all what you get used to.

As for what I feel like saying right now: It is freakin' cold and the wind sounds scary. I'm mad because I ruined a double batch of fudge last night and I don't know why it didn't work right this time. It won't harden like it should. I have never attempted a double batch before and I think it screwed something up. This fudge recipe is extremely finicky. Everything has to be exactly right. Ugh! It tastes wonderful, but it's somewhere between the consistency of hot fudge sauce and the consistency of a good hard piece of fudge. What a pain.
Old 12-09-2009, 08:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to lovespink88
My bf is one of *THOSE* people (and when I say *those* people, I only say it because I am envious) who only got one B throughout college. We took a class together because it's his last semester on campus and he had extra hours. We both had 604.5/750 points going into the final today. Our scores just got posted...I got a 98 and he got a 96. This may be the most awesome (academic) moment this semester, if not all of college.

It's the little things.
Old 12-09-2009, 09:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovespink88 View Post
My bf is one of *THOSE* people (and when I say *those* people, I only say it because I am envious) who only got one B throughout college. We took a class together because it's his last semester on campus and he had extra hours. We both had 604.5/750 points going into the final today. Our scores just got posted...I got a 98 and he got a 96. This may be the most awesome (academic) moment this semester, if not all of college.

It's the little things.
My boyfriend finished his bachelors AND master's in four years, with a 4.0. Oh yeah, and was named a Goldwater scholar. I understand "the little things."
Old 12-09-2009, 09:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to lovespink88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kappamd View Post
My boyfriend finished his bachelors AND master's in four years, with a 4.0. Oh yeah, and was named a Goldwater scholar. I understand "the little things."
Old 12-09-2009, 09:34 PM
GreekChat Member

I love this T-Pain video, he filmed it in Tallahassee and features some of the NPHC groups at FSU/FAMU.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tiXx_PEhN_8
Old 12-09-2009, 09:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: somewhere in an area where we usually get all four seasons :)
Send a message via AIM to sceniczip
I really don't want to work on this article for my newswriting class. I'm so unmotivated.
Old 12-09-2009, 10:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGDee View Post
Um, Ipods are not just limited to Itunes.

I work with Windows, MACs and Ubuntu Linux operating systems daily. Every month, I have to install security patches that have been released on all of the systems. In fact, Ubuntu releases patches many, many times a month. Adobe installs security updates. Virus scanning software must be updated daily. These are basic computer maintenance things, like getting the oil changed in your car. There are security holes in every operating system. There are security holes in every application. There is a disconnect in training between network systems folks and programmers. User friendly depends a lot on what you're used to. I find Windows to be more user friendly because I'm far more familiar with it, since I use it about 15 hours a day between work and home. I'm sure if I got used to a MAC, having two mouse buttons would no longer seem important, but I am ALWAYS wanting to right mouse click on things on the MACs.. lol. It's all what you get used to.

As for what I feel like saying right now: It is freakin' cold and the wind sounds scary. I'm mad because I ruined a double batch of fudge last night and I don't know why it didn't work right this time. It won't harden like it should. I have never attempted a double batch before and I think it screwed something up. This fudge recipe is extremely finicky. Everything has to be exactly right. Ugh! It tastes wonderful, but it's somewhere between the consistency of hot fudge sauce and the consistency of a good hard piece of fudge. What a pain.
Once you learn gestures...you never want to go back to a mouse...nowadays I have to try and remember that with the Dells I use I work when I do my loadouts....LOL
Law and Order: Gotham - “In the Criminal Justice System of Gotham City the people are represented by three separate, yet equally important groups. The police who investigate crime, the District Attorneys who prosecute the offenders, and the Batman. These are their stories.”
Old 12-09-2009, 10:33 PM
GreekChat Member

"My name is Earl" was hilarious tonight. TPT at its best.
Trump For Prison 2024-2084 MAGA!
Old 12-09-2009, 10:46 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm all packed out. I don't want to pack/clean anymore!!! But I only have about 31 hours left and I'm no where near done.

*dragging back to the suitcases*

"My dreams have become letters." ~christiangirl
Old 12-09-2009, 11:06 PM
GreekChat Member

which one of you is one and two?