GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,471
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, veasfrances2534
» Online Users: 2,125
1 members and 2,124 guests
Xidelt

Old 10-26-2008, 10:16 PM
GreekChat Member

How can I up my chances

abc

Last edited by vandycandy; 10-28-2008 at 05:37 PM.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 10-26-2008, 10:22 PM

Send a message via AIM to Jill1228
OK, first...cut the tier bullshit.
First, discretion is your friend...we all know you are going to school and can figure out which groups you are interested in...a little discretion goes a long freaking way

Keep up your GPA
Be sociable
If you hadn't gotten your recs in, get them done NOW
Most important: KEEP AN OPEN MIND. This post is evident that you are not doing that. You don't want that to turn around and bite you in the ass

On yes, use the search button here and do a search for your school. There are probably some threads on it
Old 10-26-2008, 10:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Ditto to Jill
Old 10-26-2008, 10:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Oh and maybe I'm retarded but how do you search the boards? I really don't know lol
Old 10-26-2008, 10:34 PM

Sorry if I sound harsh, but you wanted honest, constructive feedback:

Those 2 sororities have their own criteria that they're looking at when choosing members, so we can't really tell you what your chances of getting a bid to either of those 2 are, since membership selection criteria is considered private.

I can tell you that with such a competitive recruitment as Vandy that it's a good idea to be open minded to all chapters on campus. It's okay to be interested in those two, but DO consider the possibility that ABC and DEF could cut you.

The bottom line is that there are quite a few sororities at Vandy, and you really shouldn't limit yourself to just those 2. It's not a good idea to make judgements like this before recruitment, because you never know how you'll feel about different sororities once recruitment starts and you start meeting girls in other chapters. We've seen it happen a million times here, where girls go into recruitment thinking they only want these 2 or 3 chapters, but finding that they dont really like ABC and DEF as much as they thought.

Also consider that you are not IN DEF and ABC, so you really can't say how well you'd "fit." There have been instances on GC where girls get bids to a sorority they LOVED during recruitment, just to find out once they get in, that it's not what they thought it would be. So just keep that mind and make sure that you're making decisions based on more than just "well, they like me" or "they're all cute and really into fashion."

A little bit more honesty:

While its nice that all of your ABC friends really like you and say you'll fit in well. But that also doesn't guarantee you a bid there. There are alot of girls in each chapter, and membership decisions aren't just up to your friends. We've seen it happen a ton of times where girls will say things like "OMG you're so cute and you'd be perfect here" or "OMG we love you ans you're so going to get a bid" then they get cut from there during recruitment time. So just be aware of that. Knowing these girls doesn't neccessarily guarantee you a spot.

And really just generally be aware that these sororities will have other girls that are as interested in them as you are. The sororities have to cut a certain # of women everyday. And while they may like you, you also don't know who they may be meeting during recruitment whom they feel may fit better. It sounds harsh, but it's just being honest. There are times within our chapters where we've liked girls and they didn't get invited back.

Some other things, since this is a deferred recruitment school, I'd just watch what you do/say, as that could affect your recruitment in some.

I'd also just check out the General Advice thread and the What Not to Say thread.

Lakers Nation.

Last edited by KSUViolet06; 10-26-2008 at 11:37 PM.
Old 10-26-2008, 10:36 PM
GreekChat Member

The easiest and most effective way IMO is to use google advanced search. Go to google press the advanced link to the right of the search bar. Type in greekchat.com in the website area and any words you are looking for.
Old 10-26-2008, 10:36 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandycandy View Post
Oh and maybe I'm retarded but how do you search the boards? I really don't know lol
Look at the top of the page. In the darker blue box, you'll see a lot of options, including Search. Click on that, and type in the word you want to search. You may want to go with the Advanced Search if you think the answer to your question will be in one particular forum or another.

PS: I was absolutely positive I would be going ABC when I went through Recruitment, until I met ADPi. Never, ever close your options!

Good luck!
Old 10-26-2008, 10:43 PM
GreekChat Member

thanks!
Old 10-26-2008, 10:45 PM

I think this thread is about Vandy:

http://greekchat.com/gcforums/showth...light=deferred

Also, these threads have good advice in them:

http://greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=54403
http://greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=30758

This is a recruitment story thread from a girl who went to a competitive school with deferred January recruitment like Vandy. It's long, but it's a good story, and it shows some of the "no-no's" and has some good advice also:

http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/sh...ad.php?t=97700

Lakers Nation.
Old 10-27-2008, 12:17 AM
GreekChat Member

Along with the advice given, I'd first advise you to keep your moral standards high. If you behave like a drunken fool at every party or hook up with any guy who pays you attention, you can have a million other GREAT qualities, but you will likely get cut.

Second, keep your GPA high, as good grades always help.

Third, get recommendations for EACH house, if possible. A local panhellenic alumnae association can assist you, as can parent's friends, former teachers, etc.

Fourth, keep an OPEN MIND. It has been said over and over, but bears repeating, since many do not. Be gracious at any house that invites you to attend, and don't dismiss any chapter prematurely. So often stories are how someone LOVED ABC and then ended up pledging DEF and could never imagine being an ABC. It all depends on the women and how you connect with them. Don't listen to "tent talk", but rather make up your own mind. These are your potential sisters, not someone else's.

Fifth and finally, be involved in many campus clubs, organizations and activities. This will allow you to meet many other women (presumably some sorority women) and them a chance to meet you. It will give you a good reputation as someone who gets involved and is a leader on campus.

I hope this is helpful to you and truly wish you the best of luck in your upcoming recruitment experience.
Old 10-27-2008, 12:36 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCsweet<3 View Post
The easiest and most effective way IMO is to use google advanced search. Go to google press the advanced link to the right of the search bar. Type in greekchat.com in the website area and any words you are looking for.
Or if you have google toolbar, type in "whatever search term" site:greekchat.com.

so it might look like

"Vanderbilt Recruitment" site:greekchat.com
Old 10-27-2008, 01:05 AM
Unregistered-

Quote:
I'm kind of worried after what you said, basket, because I have hooked up with a few guys here (but have not slept with anyone and by no means have "gotten around" like so many girls here. Also I knew all the guys before I hooked up with them- I didn't just meet them playing beirut or dancing that night!). I'm afraid that could hurt my chances of being respected and getting in. Also, I have been at parties with girls in ABC where we were ALL drinking so that's cool, right? I feel like those could be the only 2 things in my way...
Truthfully, some girls are just plain catty, petty bitches...who may use the drinking and boys against you if they don't like you.

You can't change what you did, but it's probably best to avoid booze and boys like the plague...at least until after recruitment is over.

Be very careful with the drinking as well, especially if you're an underage freshman.
Old 10-27-2008, 01:05 AM

Quote:
I'm kind of worried after what you said, basket, because I have hooked up with a few guys here (but have not slept with anyone and by no means have "gotten around" like so many girls here. Also I knew all the guys before I hooked up with them- I didn't just meet them playing beirut or dancing that night!). I'm afraid that could hurt my chances of being respected and getting in. Also, I have been at parties with girls in ABC where we were ALL drinking so that's cool, right? I feel like those could be the only 2 things in my way...
Hooking up in itself is not the issue. The issue arises when it GETS AROUND that you hooked up with people. It's an even bigger issue if the guys know alot of sorority women or are in fraternities themselves.

It's hard to explain, but the act itself isn't a problem, it's what people say/rumors about it that cause problems with recruitment. All it takes is one misunderstanding or something for a rumor to get started.

And as far as drinking, I really would keep a low profile when doing so. I would suggest NOT drinking with sorority girls at all. It's a slippery slope. All it takes is one time for you to go out, have too much to drink, and make a scene for them to be like "OMG vandycandy was being a ridiculous drunk scene."

Lakers Nation.
Old 10-27-2008, 01:19 AM

I was trying to explain the hooking up issue, but there a multiple situations in which hooking up can affect recruitment:

These are just the ones I can think of, but I am sure there are tons more. And yes, I've actually seen this stuff happen and ruin girls' recruitment chances and they end up without a bid.

*You hook up with a guy, there's some drama, and he decides to not like you. He then tells everybody you're a skank, then they tell some sorority girls the same thing.

*Girls in ABC (or another sorority) find out you hooked up with these guys, and they decide that you're a skank because of it.

*The guys you hooked up with have hooked with ABCs in the past.

*You hook up with a guy who is in a fraternity, he tells all of his brothers you're a skank, then they tell all their sorority girl friends.

*Worst case: You hook up with a sorority members' bf/or guy that she likes. Big problem because she will tell everybody you're a skank.

As far as drinking with ABCs (or any other sorority members), you might think that drinking and hanging with them will work in your favor. But all it takes is one drunken misunderstanding or drama between them to affect recruitment.

Examples:

*You're drinking with ABCs and you just happen to get too drunk and make a drunken scene of yourself. Even if they're drinking too, they could still be like "OMG did you see vandycandy?"

*You get drunk and kiss/talk to/hook up with a guy an ABC likes. Big problem there.

*They invite other ABCs (who don't know you) out, and you offend them in some way (which is easy to to do when drinking). Or they just decide not to like you (which girls do).

*You get into a drunken misunderstanding with an ABC or any other sorority member, who makes a scene. You might not think it's a big deal, but it could potentially start drama. With girls, something like accidentally spilling your drink on someone is enough to cause drama.

*You get drunk and start being all "OMG I sooo love ABC and I can't wait get in." You might think it's cool and that they love you, but they won't if you start this type of stuff when drinking. They'll just think you're a creepo.

*They stop being friends with you and they tell all of their sisters you're a lush and you're one of those party girls they don't want.

*They tell their friends in other sororities that you're a lush and that you're one of "those girls."

*Girls in OTHER sororities see you out, think you only want to join ABC (or that you're a lush) and write you off completely. This might not seem like big deal to you, but it could become one should ABC not invite you back at some point.

As you can see, the possibilities are ENDLESS. This is why we tell girls to keep a low profile and not go out and drink. Too many things can cause drama and mess things up for them. This is DOUBLE true for schools with January recruitment because alot of judgement is passed on girls based on what happens during first semester.

Lakers Nation.

Last edited by KSUViolet06; 10-27-2008 at 11:27 PM.
Old 10-27-2008, 01:56 AM
GreekChat Member

Don't drink...period.
Overall, though, it's the bigness of the car that counts the most. Because when something bad happens in a really big car – accidentally speeding through the middle of a gang of unruly young people who have been taunting you in a drive-in restaurant, for instance – it happens very far away – way out at the end of your fenders. It's like a civil war in Africa; you know, it doesn't really concern you too much. - P.J. O'Rourke