GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > News & Politics

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,376
1 members and 1,375 guests
FSUZeta

Old 04-02-2013, 06:55 PM
Super Moderator

OKC has a few liberal enclaves. The RWers here are very dogmatic about their politics. It's very similar to the sort of rigid religious thinking you encounter in folks who can be led to believe the Earth is 6,000 years old and that Jesus Christ and dinosaurs coexisted (and if you can be led to believe that, you can be led to believe anything, right?). They surround themselves with an echo chamber whether they're meeting the OKC Tea Party folks at the H&H Gun Range or whether you're talking about the John Birch Society folks or OCPAC or whatever, when everyone else is talking about how UN Agenda 21 is a real threat to our political sovereignty and our state's rights under the 10th Amendment, a lot of hairbrained stuff might actually begin to sound reasonable.

That said, there are also a lot of reasonable folks out here and some legitimately cool places and plenty to do. Oklahoma has a pretty backwards redneck reputation, which is well deserved, but Oklahoma City and Tulsa are actually pretty decent places full of decent people and the rest of the state is nice to visit if you can simply live with the fact that just about everyone around you really and truly thinks the President is a Kenyan Muslim.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 04-02-2013, 07:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
The unintended consequence of this bill (or at least one) will be a huge spike in the number of children requiring services from child protective services due to abuse/neglect.

Not to mention the fact that this could put teachers in literal mortal in some cases with angry students/parents.
I don't believe this will pass, but I just don't understand what happened to reason, not just in Tennessee, but in all these red states.

In addition to what you've noted, I could see teachers having a moral dilemma giving students bad grades if they know students are on assistance.
Old 04-02-2013, 09:31 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by amIblue? View Post
I don't believe this will pass, but I just don't understand what happened to reason, not just in Tennessee, but in all these red states.

In addition to what you've noted, I could see teachers having a moral dilemma giving students bad grades if they know students are on assistance.
ALEC.
Old 04-02-2013, 09:50 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm sorry, but I don't understand ALEC.
Old 04-02-2013, 10:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adpiucf View Post
Do well in school, little Timmy, or the government will force you and your family to starve in the cold. Well done, Tennessee. This proposed bill would deduct government assistance from needy families if their kids do poorly in school.
These types of laws remind me of tesserae from the Hunger Games. Why not just hold a big reaping so these poor souls can fight to the death? Then some politicians can feel satisfied in knowing that they did the public a good service.
Old 04-02-2013, 10:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
The unintended consequence of this bill (or at least one) will be a huge spike in the number of children requiring services from child protective services due to abuse/neglect.

Not to mention the fact that this could put teachers in literal mortal in some cases with angry students/parents.
Why is it that people think that just because they pass a law, it will make the problem go away? In many cases all they'll do by passing the law is make things worse, and more expensive!
Old 04-02-2013, 10:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by naraht View Post
You mean the one at
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jstephe...57623081962152
?

Note, actually stating what the laws are in that manner indicates what Religion or branch of Religion generally created it. For example if "Steal" is #8 and "no other gods" is #1 then you are looking at "Hellenistic Jews, Greek Orthodox and Protestants except Lutherans". The Jews combine the "No other gods" into #2 and have #1 as "I am the Lord your God". The Protestants and Lutherans shift everything by combining the Protestant #1 & #2 into #1 and splitting Coveting into #9 Wife vs. #10 House. (See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ten_commandments)

Given that this is in Oklahoma, it makes sense that the Catholics, Lutherans and Jews weren't involved in putting it up.

See http://www.kxii.com/home/headlines/6...html?site=full for the story of why it was erected in 2001.
Wow! Never realized there were different 10 Commandments. I grew up Protestant (non denominational, though that's an oxymoron) and the one listed is the one I know. You learn something every day.

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 04-03-2013, 07:52 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by amIblue? View Post
I'm sorry, but I don't understand ALEC.
http://www.alec.org/

ALEC writes a lot of anti-poor/anti-environment/social conservative, etc. sort of model legislation. When you hear about multiple states proposing things like banning abortion after 6 weeks or various sorts of tort reform, those are often bills written by ALEC.
Old 04-03-2013, 09:52 AM
GreekChat Member

<head desk>

Ladies and Gentlemen, I submit this:

North Carolina May Declare Official State Religion Under New Bill

Ever since the last election, things in Raleigh have been getting increasingly painful.
Old 04-03-2013, 10:39 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
http://www.alec.org/

ALEC writes a lot of anti-poor/anti-environment/social conservative, etc. sort of model legislation. When you hear about multiple states proposing things like banning abortion after 6 weeks or various sorts of tort reform, those are often bills written by ALEC.
Thanks!
Old 04-03-2013, 03:11 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chi-o_cat View Post
Ladies and Gentlemen, I submit this:

North Carolina May Declare Official State Religion Under New Bill

Ever since the last election, things in Raleigh have been getting increasingly painful.
This wins the thread.
Old 04-03-2013, 03:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adpiucf View Post
Do well in school, little Timmy, or the government will force you and your family to starve in the cold. Well done, Tennessee. This proposed bill would deduct government assistance from needy families if their kids do poorly in school.
One of the co-sponsors is the same douchebag who introduced that "Don't Say Gay" bill.
Old 04-03-2013, 08:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
This wins the thread.

Though I hear it's doubtful the bill will ever see the light of day. Anyone can file a bill on anything. Getting it through is another matter.
Old 04-04-2013, 10:19 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to DGTess
Not quite the brothel law ...

But Virginia just passed a law that cracks down on illegal boardinghouses (if they can ever enforce it ...).

It is illegal in Virginia for more than four unrelated people to share a house.

So much for the seniors getting together and renting a house.
Old 04-04-2013, 10:41 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGTess View Post
But Virginia just passed a law that cracks down on illegal boardinghouses (if they can ever enforce it ...).

It is illegal in Virginia for more than four unrelated people to share a house.

So much for the seniors getting together and renting a house.
And Greek Life housing?