GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,251
1 members and 1,250 guests
No Members online

Old 03-02-2001, 01:13 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to James Send a message via AIM to James
Post Different Needs of "Minority Groups" vs. ""Mainstream Groups"

This question is from a unified interfraternity council point of view.

I put quotes around the different terms for groupings because in recent years there has been a great deal more overlap in membership.

A Greek Council is supposed to unite the Greek system and encourage organized programs in areas such as Recruitment, Greek Week, membership development, campus relations etc.

I find it difficult to reconcile some of this for the following reasons:

1. The taditionally mainstream groups recruit very diferently from the miniroty groups.

2. Membership development programs are radically different.

3. When programs such as Greek Week are put on there is a conflict when they are based on sporting events because (at least on my campus) the number of members each minority chapter has is generally much smaller than the mainstream groups. Most of those organizations can't even field a complete team. Which leaves them somewhat less than interested in the week itself.

I'll start with this. At this point I am interested in any insights, and/or suggestions into what the needs of the traditionally minority groups are and how a unified system can be of assistance and support while still meeting the needs of the mainstream groups. Especially in the above context.

I apologize also to the politically correct but its easier to use terms such as mainstream and minority intead of constantly saying IFC/NPC NPHC and Latino/Asian, and hopefully I am not missing a categry except maybe generic multi cultural

I find this to be a serious issue.
Thanks in advance.

Old 03-02-2001, 02:52 AM

My school doesn't have an all greek council but I've always felt it's something that should be implemented.

I agree that rush/recruitment/intake vary vastly between groups, but glos could still come together to share ideas on how to increase turn out. There's nothing wrong, in my opinion, for the council to also have meetings where only the groups w/ similar styles meet. A council w/in a council.

As far a membership development...I think there is far more similar programs and needs than differences. Again, these types of councils are mainly there to share what works.

Greek Week at my school pairs together smaller groups so that teams are of similar size. One team could be made up of 2 gruops while another is five. The point of Greek Week is to bring us together. So nothing wrong with only having one or two reps from a group playing on a sports team.

All Greek Councils are not to make us all alike. Their meant to teach us about eachother and strengthen the system as a whole.
Old 03-02-2001, 03:27 AM
GreekChat Member

incorporate ethnic activities and ethnic educational programs into traditionally white GLOs -- not just a token program here and there. that would be a major change of pace, rather than trying to have the minority orgs participate in the activities of the traditionally white GLOs. Change the status quo.
Old 03-02-2001, 09:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Unhappy

James, it is noble of you to try to make some kind of "bridge" between the "traditional" GLO's and the "culturally based" GLO's, however, some GLO's were founded because of segregation long time ago. And although, you, yourself may feel that you had nothing to do with that and even I have had nothing to do with that, some of us just do not seem to be able to forget it and put it past ourselves...

And the fact really is that most "traditional" GLO have a lot of money compared to that of at least a BGLO. And even the IFC/NPC has a lot more money than that of the NPHC. That is just a fact. And we can talk endlessly as to the reasons for these discrepancies...

I know at least on my campus, the traditional GLO's greek week is used as a fund raiser for a major charity. That is a nice idea, but I feel that the culturally based GLO's feel a need to provide support within their respective communities. That's why most of the culturally based GLO's do not feel the need to participate to raise funds for ONE major charity when they support numerous charities within their communities...

One way I would try is to support the public forums of the culturally based GLO's. Most of the time, at least in BGLO's, they go through great strides to bring folks in to teach their respective collegiate community about a specific topic as outlined by their National Headquarters.

So say, if my organization decides to have a public forum on "racial profiling" as seen on campus, would your organization attend??? It's a tough call, but somehow, with all the pain and anger, we might just get to Umoja (or unity in KiSwahili)...

[This message has been edited by AKA_Monet (edited March 02, 2001).]
Old 03-03-2001, 12:11 AM
GreekChat Member

Have a mainstream group pair up with a minority for like a cultural event type mixer, where you learn about each other cultures. Like, instead of just drinking and partying, actully talk about each others history and traditions (non-glo traditions unless it is appropirate). And then party.
Old 03-03-2001, 12:23 AM
GreekChat Member

Location: Who you calling "boy"? The name's Hand Banana . . .
James -
our greek council basically sucks, not because of the hard work of the people on it, but because of a lack of support from the school and the actual organizations. Greek week is fun and whatever, but without funding/facilities/support from the school it makes it far smaller-scale than it should be, and w/out 100% participation what's the point? anyway - this doesn't exactly address your concerns directly, but rather is indicative of how, even when attempting to reconcile the concerns you've brought up, other obstacles can arise. Anyway - keep that in mind i guess.

Rob