GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Social
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,299
4 members and 2,295 guests
Cookiez17, FSUZeta, PKT4LIFE, Xidelt

Old 04-11-2004, 09:22 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to luu Send a message via Yahoo to luu
London girl confused about sororities

I'm reallly confused, and i was wondering if anyone could please help me.

I'm going to go to a university in America, which is kind of hard in itself because it's not very similar to in England.

Several people have advised me to join a sorority and i was wondering what they are and how to join?

Please, I'm really confused!

Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 04-11-2004, 11:42 AM
GreekChat Member

Okay you've come to the right place. I encourage you to look around and read as many of the threads as you can. Please make use of the search button in the upper right hand corner of all the pages.

Basically, fraternities and sororities (sororities are female only) are organizations located at college campuses across the United States and Canada. The organization's active members are there collegiate members, but when you join, you are a member for life.

These organizations typically have different combinations of Greek letters as their names. The meaning of these letters as well as other symbols that are associated with the organization (like mascot, other greek letters, their badge, a handshake, a form of signature) are all closely guarded secrets that only members know.

There are some of these organizations that have chapters of their group located Nation wide and into Canada. Others are located only at one or two campuses. The sororities with a nation-wide presence are in a group called the North American Panhellenic Conference, basically comprised of representatives from each sorority that can pass legislation/policy that all the chapters of member sororities will follow.

Depending on the university you attend here in the States, the greek chapters may have special housing in the University dorms, so that all the members can live together, or they may have various sizes of houses actually owned by the chapter and its alumni. These houses may range in size from 4-6 members to holding over 100 members.

The advantages of "going greek" and joining a sorority are many. Typically at many campuses the Greeks have a GPA higher than the all university average, they also are more involved in campus activities and organizations like student government. They also tend to rise to leadership roles in these organizations, and going greek will present you with a variety of opportunities to explore your leadership potential.

There also is a social aspect of Greek Life, with chapters hosting a variety of parties, either simple house parties, to celebrations for certain events in the house (like the anniversary of the founding, or initiation of new members), to crazy theme parties like Hawaiian, Pimps and Hos, toga, and parochial school. Many chapters also hold semi-formals once or twice during the academic year.

The biggest thing about Greek life though is the friendships you will create. Sharing that secret bond, and a lot of time with girls who share the same interests and goals with allows some of the deepest friendships you will make in this lifetime, even if you end up thousands of miles away later on.

I hope this helps! Again continue to look around for explanations about other aspects of Greek life. There are forums here to discuss things like chapter life, selection of new members and anything you could want to know. Everyone is usually very helpful too.

PS: What university will you be attending?
Old 04-11-2004, 03:42 PM
GreekChat Member

my university

i will be attending Harvard - does this help?
Old 04-14-2004, 03:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Funny, enough, I now have a question for you, luu. I'm going to be studying in London in the Fall, and was wondering if I should bother bring my (hundreds) of Kappa shirts. Is it acceptable there, or what?
Old 04-14-2004, 04:19 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm sure its acceptable. Not many people will understand it but its a great talking point and will actually probably help you mix with people since they'll be interested. Go for it!
Old 04-15-2004, 12:42 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PhiNuBlue
I wore my letters all over London and Ireland. Some people asked about it and some people knew what they were and were curious about them. It's good for conversation, and I dunno about you but wearing my letters always gives makes me feel better about myself. )
Old 04-27-2004, 08:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Enjoy your stay here in America and at Harvard!

There are three NPC sororities at Harvard.

Kappa Kappa Gamma

Delta Gamma

Kappa Alpha Theta
Old 04-28-2004, 08:17 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to AlethiaSi
Quote:
Originally posted by PhiNuBlue
I wore my letters all over London and Ireland. Some people asked about it and some people knew what they were and were curious about them. It's good for conversation, and I dunno about you but wearing my letters always gives makes me feel better about myself. )
yea i've done that too- a lot of people at my school ask about them- and i get so excited talking about it- plus it made me feel connected to my sisters still
Old 04-29-2004, 04:01 AM
GreekChat Member

One of my friends is a founding member of Kappa at Harvard and she LOVES it. The greek scene at Harvard is very laid back and they don't have houses - but my friend absolutely loves it anyway!
She thinks joining Kappa is the best thing she ever did - but I also know DGs and Thetas from Harvard and they are awesome too!!!
Good luck at Harvard! Cambridge is such a fun place to live too!

eta: I'm studying abroad right now too but I didn't bring any letters with me really - just one shirt - because I thought I wouldn't want to wear stuff that identified me as an American. I MISS MY PI PHI CLOTHES SOOO MUCH!
Old 04-29-2004, 12:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Measi Send a message via Yahoo to Measi
Also-- there are often fraternities and sororities (both single sex and co-ed) that are specific interest, in addition to the NPC ones. If the larger three don't feel like a good "fit" for your lifestyle or are too expensive for you to join, but you're still interested in a fraternity or sorority, do give the smaller organizations a try. They usually don't have the social impact of the larger ones, but the friendship bonds are still as strong. Since they're usually not welcome at the formal Greek rush events, they don't get noticed as well-- and every new member can be a blessing.

~ Mel.