GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,423
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, acheldarko1907
» Online Users: 2,822
0 members and 2,822 guests
No Members online

Old 08-09-2009, 08:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Indiana also has bed quota.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-09-2009, 09:49 PM
GreekChat Member

In regard to the GPA requirements: College Panhellenics do not set a GPA limit for PNM's to register as that could be percieved as discrimination. But in the interest of fairness, they should add the caveat that most chapters require a 3.0 min HS GPA for pledging.
Old 08-10-2009, 01:44 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnation View Post
Bed rush is when each sorority sets its individual quota by how many open beds they have in their house at that time.

Caramba. I can think of a few campuses where that would make recruitment interesting, to say the least. For example, I know of a campus with a double-digit number of NPC groups; the physically smallest house on campus houses fewer than 50 girls, and some other houses hold (I'm told) 75+.
Old 08-10-2009, 12:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post

Doesn't the Greek Life office specify a minimum GPA to go through recruitment? If they don't, they should. If they do, and stuff like this is still happening, it should be one that actually makes sense with what the chapters are asking (for example, if all the chapters want 3.0 or over, the minimum stated by the Greek life office shouldn't be 2.5).
This is the academic policy from the Greek Life website:
Academic Requirements for Pledging

"Sororities maintain high academic standards, and there are specific scholastic requirements for each chapter which must be met for initiation. If you have previously attended Southern Miss you must have an overall grade point average of a 2.0 to participate in formal recruitment."

There is a minimum GPA requirement to participate if you're an upperclassman from Southern Miss, but not if you're a freshman or transfer student.
Old 08-10-2009, 04:44 PM
GreekChat Member

And what would they do for "bed rush" if the house had no house at all. Interesting concept.
Old 08-10-2009, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2girls View Post
And what would they do for "bed rush" if the house had no house at all. Interesting concept.
Chapters do not typically survive or do well at these schools without housing.

It's usually understood that if you are asked to colonize there that you need to be prepared to spend $$$ for comparable housing.

Lakers Nation.
Old 08-10-2009, 05:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMAnchorGirl View Post
This is the academic policy from the Greek Life website:
Academic Requirements for Pledging

"Sororities maintain high academic standards, and there are specific scholastic requirements for each chapter which must be met for initiation. If you have previously attended Southern Miss you must have an overall grade point average of a 2.0 to participate in formal recruitment."

There is a minimum GPA requirement to participate if you're an upperclassman from Southern Miss, but not if you're a freshman or transfer student.
2.0? Wow.
Old 08-10-2009, 06:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueCarnation View Post
2.0? Wow.
Well, 2.0 to participate, but most chapters have higher standards (so I guess having that min. doesn't really solve much, huh). You have to have a 3.0 to pledge Delta Gamma. I'm not sure how hard and fast other chapters stick to their minimum GPA though.

Have you all heard about using a core GPA instead of a cumulative? There doing that with high school grades this year for freshmen coming through recruitment. They only release girls' grades from their core courses (math, english, history, etc...not sure exactly what subjects it includes, but it excludes electives) to the chapters. Because of this the chapters are having to think a bit differently about what their GPA means because electives usually inflate their GPA.
Old 08-10-2009, 07:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueCarnation View Post
2.0? Wow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by USMAnchorGirl View Post
Well, 2.0 to participate, but most chapters have higher standards.
Most state colleges set a minimum GPA to participate in *any* college activities or organizations. Be it a GLO, sports, band, cheerleading, chess club or what have you. Generally, it is the minimum GPA needed to keep off of academic probation. Which for most state schools is 2.0. So anything that is set higher - by the college panhellenic and or the individual chapters - will always meet the minimum university requirement.
Old 08-10-2009, 07:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2girls View Post
Campuses without live in housing don't have "bed" quotas. It's only at a few campuses - like Indiana for one. Indiana is talking about changing as they now have so many women go thru but the number of beds is not increasing at the same rate. Therefore, many women don't get bids. Doing away with the bed quota would increase the size of the new member classes dramatically and that is scary to some. They are all used to being a certain size and getting very larger overnight may stress their internal operations.
Old 08-10-2009, 08:31 PM
GreekChat Member

well it was PREF Day today at USM...any interesting news and what time will the potential pledges receive their bids?
Old 08-10-2009, 09:44 PM
GreekChat Member

They're supposed to get their bids at noon tomorrow. Very exciting!! I can't wait to hear some news!
Old 08-11-2009, 01:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Well, Bid Day is here! Here is what I know so far:
Quota was 33
Delta Gamma got 38 new girls
Chi Omega got 37
Kappa Delta got 36

Congrats to all seven chapters! I'll update more as I hear it.

Last edited by USMAnchorGirl; 08-11-2009 at 02:23 PM. Reason: Add new results
Old 08-11-2009, 02:24 PM
GreekChat Member

any other chapter numbers?
Old 08-11-2009, 02:26 PM
GreekChat Member

That's all I've got so far. I'll edit that post as I hear more.