GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Fraternity Recruitment

Fraternity Recruitment Recruitment event ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,122
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, haledarkz870
» Online Users: 2,111
0 members and 2,111 guests
No Members online

Old 11-04-2013, 03:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Rushing a Frat, Last semester of Graduate School

My boyfriend was always against joining greek life, but I joined a year ago (I'm an undergrad) and he has since changed his mind. The only problem is that he graduates from graduate school in the spring. He wants to join to get what little of the experience he still can and also plans on being active as an alum. What do you think the chances of them even considering him are? He has pretty good grades, hes participates in multiple intramural sports, and is very sweet. He's not much of a party boy or very "bro-y" however. Any advice about how to approach the chapters?
Old 11-04-2013, 04:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta Love View Post
My boyfriend was always against joining greek life, but I joined a year ago (I'm an undergrad) and he has since changed his mind. The only problem is that he graduates from graduate school in the spring. He wants to join to get what little of the experience he still can and also plans on being active as an alum. What do you think the chances of them even considering him are? He has pretty good grades, hes participates in multiple intramural sports, and is very sweet. He's not much of a party boy or very "bro-y" however. Any advice about how to approach the chapters?
What kind of GLO is he interested in? NIC, IFC or NPHC? It will make a huge difference in the answers you need.
Old 11-04-2013, 05:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetalady View Post
What kind of GLO is he interested in? NIC, IFC or NPHC? It will make a huge difference in the answers you need.
IFC. Sorry about that
Old 11-04-2013, 06:09 PM
GreekChat Member

It will depend a lot on the campus culture. And honestly, if he is going to be finishing off his graduate degree, I would suggest against it. He already will have the stress of classes, looking for work and maintaining a relationship. Pledging might be a little bit more work then he can handle on top of all of that.
Old 11-04-2013, 10:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psi U MC Vito View Post
It will depend a lot on the campus culture. And honestly, if he is going to be finishing off his graduate degree, I would suggest against it. He already will have the stress of classes, looking for work and maintaining a relationship. Pledging might be a little bit more work then he can handle on top of all of that.
It will also depend on national fraternity rules. Not all fraternities allow grad students to pledge.
Old 11-07-2013, 04:00 AM
GreekChat Member

He will definitely have enough time to rush and assuming the frats do allow graduate students, do you guys have any advice on how to approach them about it? Thank you for all the advice and answers so far
Old 11-07-2013, 05:46 AM
Banned

He is a graduate student so he should know how to research and, if applicable, can figure out how to contact the NIC fraternities (not frats).

Good luck to him.
Old 11-07-2013, 09:41 AM
GreekChat Member

And at this point he's a big boy. He needs to figure this out on his own. I know you want to help, and this comes from someone who is a "fixer" herself, but if he really wants this he will have to the homework, make the contacts, etc.
Old 11-08-2013, 11:20 AM
GreekChat Member

If I were in a fraternity (well, technically I am, but not THAT kind of fraternity) and a last-semester grad student wanted to join for what would basically be a few weeks, I'd just laugh.
1), Most of the chapter is probably undergrad so he would probably not be amused by some of the antics.
2), Would there be other pledges? Or do they do most of their pledging first semester? If there are no other pledges, and IF he's lucky enough to get a bid, he's not going to have the same type of experience.
3), He's not going to be there long enough to build the same types of friendships as someone who's been there a couple of years. He won't be rushing a couple more pledges classes under him, going for beer runs, partying, studying etc....he won't have many shared experiences that build brotherhood.
3), Besides dues, what would the fraternity get out of this? He's not going to be here long enough to be an officer, or help pledge the next group. He would be there long enough to do the grunt work pledges do, but not long enough to enjoy the benefits when he's a brother.

Now, if he's going for another grad degree and will be around for another two or three semesters, it might work. But if he's going to get his degree and look for a full-time job, he probably won't have much time to work with the chapter as an alum.

But it could happen. Fraternities don't seek out new members the same way, or en masse, sororities do. They're much more likely to pledge an upperclassman, or a grad student, if enough brothers hit it off with him. They also don't necessarily hew to set pledge periods and rules like sororities do.

So...it could happen. Not likely, but it could happen.

Old 11-08-2013, 03:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to DGTess
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta Love View Post
He's already in grad school - almost done - and will have enough time? I guess that's because you're doing the research for him?

Fraternities are very different from sororities, but I just don't see this happening.