GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Locals

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,125
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, PiperJarma
» Online Users: 1,639
3 members and 1,636 guests
MSKKG, PiperJarma, speedsters

Old 08-15-2014, 11:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Exclamation Please help!

Fall of 2012 I rushed a NPC sorority. I was an initiate member for a semester untill due to a personal family crisis, I took a break off of school for a year. In the time i was gone i needed my sisters and only a few were there for me. Now im back in the same school but I feel like my chapter changed so much. I hardly recognize some of my sisters. I feel as if sisterhood has gone down the drain. I tried reaching out to the new chapter president to see what I could do to be back in good standing but my attempts were ignored multiple times. After a couple months she finally got back to me and said she was going to consult our chapter advisor to see what they could do for me. At that point I was seriously considering deassociation. I love my sorority, our values, and everything we used to represent. I cant think of being in school and not being part of greek life. I know joining another npc or nphc is out of the question and there isnt much else to choose from. My question is if its possible for a group of ladies and I to start a local sorority and later expand into NPC? We do not want to remain a local for long due to the fact that our university doesnt recongnize sororities that arent planning to be part of a national. What are my options? Are there other national groups? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance

P.s. sorry if its alot to read. I want to be as detailed as possible to get the best advice.
Old 08-16-2014, 12:06 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrey9911 View Post
Fall of 2012 I rushed a NPC sorority. I was an initiate member for a semester untill due to a personal family crisis, I took a break off of school for a year. In the time i was gone i needed my sisters and only a few were there for me. Now im back in the same school but I feel like my chapter changed so much. I hardly recognize some of my sisters. I feel as if sisterhood has gone down the drain. I tried reaching out to the new chapter president to see what I could do to be back in good standing but my attempts were ignored multiple times. After a couple months she finally got back to me and said she was going to consult our chapter advisor to see what they could do for me. At that point I was seriously considering deassociation. I love my sorority, our values, and everything we used to represent. I cant think of being in school and not being part of greek life. I know joining another npc or nphc is out of the question and there isnt much else to choose from. My question is if its possible for a group of ladies and I to start a local sorority and later expand into NPC? We do not want to remain a local for long due to the fact that our university doesnt recongnize sororities that arent planning to be part of a national. What are my options? Are there other national groups? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance

P.s. sorry if its alot to read. I want to be as detailed as possible to get the best advice.
QFP
Old 08-16-2014, 12:07 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrey9911 View Post

QFP.

ETA: Comrades, you beat me to it!

@~/~~~~

Last edited by ASTalumna06; 08-16-2014 at 12:09 AM.
Old 08-16-2014, 12:41 AM
GreekChat Member

Can you answer these questions, please:

1) Did you leave in good standing? You didn't owe any $, for example.

2) Have you contacted your HQ to see what your status is? If you are considered an alumna, do you really want to become active again?

3) Why can't you think of being in school without being part of Greek life? Seriously, there are thousands and thousands of students who are in school without Greek membership. What is it you're seeking?

As for your question about starting a local: you can do whatever you want with a local, but as for you turning a local into another NPC sorority and you being a member of the new NPC sorority - nope, not gonna happen. I'm not even going to go into the whole "extension" speech. You can search for information on extension and how lengthy the process is, timewise.

Yes there are plenty of non-NPC national/international groups. Do the research.

As for sisterhood going down the drain, and your statement about what your sorority "used to represent": news flash. It's the same sorority, same values, same creed/whatever. If you feel like you're far away from them, who moved? They were there, they went on with their lives while you were out of school for a year. This isn't unusual or out of the ordinary. You can't expect young women who are in school to "be there" for someone who is no longer on campus. Is your expectation a reasonable one? Think about it.

ETA:Wait a second. SMH. Thanks for QFPs. Sheesh.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity

Last edited by AZTheta; 08-16-2014 at 12:43 AM.
Old 08-16-2014, 01:12 AM
GreekChat Member

Wow, um.. Yea.. QFP is key in situations such as this.

Smh, for sure. Usually I recognize a username, especially when there isn't much time between the original post and the questionable one, but this time I didn't. Good detective work!

@~/~~~~

Last edited by ASTalumna06; 08-16-2014 at 01:18 AM.
Old 08-16-2014, 01:16 AM
GreekChat Member

Seriously. rrey9911 which is it? are you or aren't you in a sorority?

#annoyed at this annoyance.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Old 08-16-2014, 01:37 AM
Banned

Someone bored on a Friday?