GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Events

Events Is your organization hosting an Event or do you know about an upcoming Event and would like to get the word out? Post all Event related information here.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,126
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, babobygooglet93
» Online Users: 1,932
0 members and 1,932 guests
No Members online

Old 11-22-2011, 11:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Post Catchy name for pledge dance?

I'm a 15 for kkg and we need to come up with a clever name for our pledge dance. Last year they did "kappa keys over seas" and then everyone dressed according to the theme, any suggestions?
Old 11-22-2011, 11:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kappakeys View Post
I'm a 15 for kkg and we need to come up with a clever name for our pledge dance. Last year they did "kappa keys over seas" and then everyone dressed according to the theme, any suggestions?
What is a 15?
Old 11-23-2011, 12:12 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to lovespink88
If it's anything like at my school, '15 is the name of the new member class. Every year the incoming new member classes are named by the year that they will graduate (assuming that the new members are all freshmen and will graduate in 4 years). My brother is freshman, so his pledge class is called '15s when they are referred to as a group. I was a junior when I joined my chapter, so I would have been a '12 (even though I graduated in '10).

Would have made more sense if she said "I'm a Kappa new member".
Old 11-23-2011, 10:54 AM
GreekChat Member

Well, that makes sense. It's probably a thing that varies by campus culture.
Old 11-23-2011, 11:37 AM
GreekChat Member

Yeah sorry hahaha it depends on the year your pledge class graduates so like my pledge mom is a 14 cause she graduates in 2014, my bad
Old 11-23-2011, 11:56 AM

I know it's campus culture (in other words OP, I am not yelling at you) but I REALLY detest this form of pledge class naming. It creates an inhospitable environment for anyone other than a freshman rushing.

How about Kan Kan with Kappa?
Old 11-23-2011, 01:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Welcome to Kappa, Kappakeys.

I got nothing to help you with themes...we always did our Monmouth Duo with Pi Phi as our pledge formal, and I'm utterly lacking in creativity.
Old 11-23-2011, 01:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Kappa Kotillion? (formal)
KKG's Tropical Breeze? (beach)
Fleur de Lis Zzzzz's? (pj party)
Old 11-23-2011, 02:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
I know it's campus culture (in other words OP, I am not yelling at you) but I REALLY detest this form of pledge class naming. It creates an inhospitable environment for anyone other than a freshman rushing.
FYI, Sigma Chi - and I beleive some other GLOs - use the class year in association with their college.

For exmaple:

Warren Beatty, Northwestern 1959
Drew Brees, Purdue 2001
Mike Ditka, Pittsburgh 1961
Woody Harrelson, Hanover 1983
David Letterman, Ball State 1969
Urban Meyer, Cincinnati 1986
Brad Pitt, Missouri 1986
John Wayne, Southern California 1929
Old 11-23-2011, 03:16 PM
GreekChat Member

^^ That's what we would do with individuals, except we would use chapter designation (without school or with school in parentheses) and year of initiation, not graduation. E.g., Andy Griffith, Alpha Rho 1946.

But that's different from what the OP described and from what 33girl reacted to. They're not talking about describing an individual after he or she graduates; they're talking about a designation for a pledge/new member class -- specifically, designating the class by the year its members will graduate (which assumes they are all the same year and will graduate at the same time). In other words, this fall's pledge/new member class would be referred to as the pledge/new member class of 2015. That presumes all members of the class are freshman and will graduate in four years.

We don't have a standard for that. In my experience, most of our chapters will either designate probationary member classes by the season and year of pledging (e.g., the Spring 2012 class) or by Greek letters (e.g., the Gamma PM class, meaning the third in the chapter's history).

Last edited by MysticCat; 11-23-2011 at 03:22 PM.
Old 11-23-2011, 04:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticCat View Post
^^ That's what we would do with individuals, except we would use chapter designation (without school or with school in parentheses) and year of initiation, not graduation. E.g., Andy Griffith, Alpha Rho 1946.

But that's different from what the OP described and from what 33girl reacted to. They're not talking about describing an individual after he or she graduates; they're talking about a designation for a pledge/new member class -- specifically, designating the class by the year its members will graduate (which assumes they are all the same year and will graduate at the same time). In other words, this fall's pledge/new member class would be referred to as the pledge/new member class of 2015. That presumes all members of the class are freshman and will graduate in four years.

We don't have a standard for that. In my experience, most of our chapters will either designate probationary member classes by the season and year of pledging (e.g., the Spring 2012 class) or by Greek letters (e.g., the Gamma PM class, meaning the third in the chapter's history).
I get what you are saying. My bad.

When Kappakeys said the following …

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kappakeys View Post
Yeah sorry hahaha it depends on the year your pledge class graduates so like my pledge mom is a 14 cause she graduates in 2014, my bad
… I passed right over the "pledge class" reference and took that to mean her personal designation is “Kappakeys 15” versus the "15" being associated with her pledge class.

In some cases, pledges and initiated members are described by (lumped by) their (anticipated) graduation year – even during their undergraduate years. So “14s” would simply be another way of saying “sophomores”. Which is what I thought she meant with respect to her pledge mom.
Old 11-24-2011, 12:21 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
What types of themes are you interested in? I think it is easiest to come up with the theme first, and then work backwards to come up with a name.