GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life > Introductions

Introductions New to GreekChat? This is where you can introduce yourself to the GreekChat community.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,425
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, zenjaminusasdz5
» Online Users: 2,562
0 members and 2,562 guests
No Members online

Old 01-23-2014, 04:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Open Enrollment for Eastern Star information

Hi, I know this is greek website but I was told that you all may be able to help me out so I signed up. I know this has probably been asked before but I was looking for information on the open enrollment for the Eastern Star in Virginia. I am very interested in becoming a member but the only affiliation I have is my deceased great grandmother. She was a chapter founder but it isn't a close enough bloodline for me to join. However I was told that I can try to join as "non-bloodline" during the months that they have "open enrollment" but no one has told me when those months are. Please, please help me; if you know help a sister out with some information. It would be greatly appreciated! Once again, I live in Virginia. Thanks.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 01-23-2014, 04:43 PM
GreekChat Member

From the official website:

Who may join: Only men who are Masons are eligible and only women with specific Masonic affiliation may be members. These affiliations include:

Affiliated Master Masons in good standing
the wives
daughters
legally adopted daughters
mothers
widows
sisters
half sisters
granddaughters
stepmothers
stepdaughters
stepsisters
daughters-in-law
grandmothers
great granddaughters
nieces
great nieces
mothers-in-law
sisters-in-law
aunts
And first and second female cousins of affiliated Master Masons in good standing, or if deceased in good standing at the time of their death; as well as members - either active for three (3) years or majority - in the International Order of the Rainbow of Girls or in Job's Daughters International, each of whom having attained at least the age of eighteen (18) years, are eligible to membership in the Order of the Eastern Star.

How to join: To inquire about membership, talk to a current member, or contact a local chapter. To find chapters in your area, contact the Grand Secretary of that state or province. Petitions are carefully read, eligibility investigated and election to membership must be by a vote of the Chapter. The Order strives to select persons of mental, moral, and spiritual quality who will work together in harmony to perform its objectives.

So - you would be eligible. See the official website. I don't see "open enrollment" as waiving any membership requirements listed anywhere on their website.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Old 01-23-2014, 08:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZTheta View Post
From the official website:

Who may join: Only men who are Masons are eligible and only women with specific Masonic affiliation may be members. These affiliations include:

Affiliated Master Masons in good standing
the wives
daughters
legally adopted daughters
mothers
widows
sisters
half sisters
granddaughters
stepmothers
stepdaughters
stepsisters
daughters-in-law
grandmothers
great granddaughters
nieces
great nieces
mothers-in-law
sisters-in-law
aunts
And first and second female cousins of affiliated Master Masons in good standing, or if deceased in good standing at the time of their death; as well as members - either active for three (3) years or majority - in the International Order of the Rainbow of Girls or in Job's Daughters International, each of whom having attained at least the age of eighteen (18) years, are eligible to membership in the Order of the Eastern Star.

How to join: To inquire about membership, talk to a current member, or contact a local chapter. To find chapters in your area, contact the Grand Secretary of that state or province. Petitions are carefully read, eligibility investigated and election to membership must be by a vote of the Chapter. The Order strives to select persons of mental, moral, and spiritual quality who will work together in harmony to perform its objectives.

So - you would be eligible. See the official website. I don't see "open enrollment" as waiving any membership requirements listed anywhere on their website.
If the original poster is speaking of Prince Hall Affiliated OES chapters, then the "national website" may not apply.

Original poster, if this is the case, please google "Prince Hall Grand Lodge" Virginia or "Prince Hall Affiliated" [Your town], Virginia and then depending
on the site, you may find the website for your local Eastern Stars.

And then ultimately, ask a member.

eta: found it: http://www.oesgcvapha.com/

Last edited by Sen's Revenge; 01-23-2014 at 08:08 PM.
Old 01-23-2014, 08:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Thank you, Sen, for the clarification.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Old 01-24-2014, 08:48 AM
GreekChat Member

Yeah I was told that if you're trying to be affiliated with the Prince Hall OES having a great grandmother who was a member/founder isn't going to cut it. I did email the secretary about 5 days ago, but she hasn't gotten back with me yet. I'm not for sure how long it takes for them to get back with a prospect but I'm more than willing to keep waiting! I'm looking forward to her getting back with me. Thank you for your replies!!
Old 01-24-2014, 03:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Does anyone know an OES-PHA in the Hampton Roads area of Virginia that I can speak with directly & wouldn't mind leading me in the right direction?
Old 02-27-2014, 04:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Information

Hi Gabby,
When you have an opportunity please inbox for open enrollment info in VA.
Old 03-15-2014, 11:07 AM
GreekChat Member

I don't know why anyone would want to be a member of Eastern Star. Their rules date back to 1850 where women weren't even recognized as individuals capable of holding meetings and taking oaths without male validation. If women continue joining such an organization, they're recognizing their status as second class citizens and insult other women as a whole. Gabbychrisette, your great grandmother wasn't recognized as a whole person by Star. Only your great grandfather. I don't care what her contributions to Eastern Star were, they aren't recognized, and neither will your's if you join and dedicate your life to the group.
Old 03-15-2014, 11:22 AM
GreekChat Member

Shut up, cdayries.

Old 03-15-2014, 09:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by knight_shadow View Post
Shut up, cdayries.
Thank you , sir.
Old 03-15-2014, 10:27 PM
Banned

Although there are Masons and OES who interpret it as "women aren't equipped to meet without a man or have an organization without men member," cdayries needs to read about the founding of OES.
Old 01-19-2017, 02:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Hi, I'm a active OESPHA member in NYC. Love my chapter and my Lodge brothers. Some of the rules that govern Eastern Star should be re-examined such as dress code -no pants, OES Sisters not allowed at Masonic meetings etc. I understand tradition but we.are in a new millenium and should move forward with a eye on the future.
Old 08-07-2018, 08:23 AM
GreekChat Member

Just seeing this! I’m new to the site and need the same help! Hello all
I’m looking for help in joining PRINCE HALL OES in VIRGINIA. Unfortunately my blood line isn’t close enough (step-granddaughter). I recently talked to a mentor who told me about open membership. Anyone know the dates/months for the year of 2018?!! HELP A SISTER OUT
Old 08-07-2018, 08:51 AM
Super Moderator

You may not get much help other than what has already been posted in this thread since this site relates primarily to collegiate fraternities and sororities. Your best bet is to ask your relative or mentor. Good luck.