GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Fraternity Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Fraternity Recruitment Recruitment event ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,457
Threads: 115,512
Welcome to our newest member, ER_Pike
» Online Users: 2,743
0 members and 2,743 guests
No Members online

Old 05-17-2012, 09:27 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernkid View Post
Hey, at least y'all are in the SEC, where we have fully functional limbs, and tackle with both arms on defense. We don't skip around the field with sugar in our cleats. And y'all know what I mean by "traditional southern fraternity." Where we drive trucks, and go sail fishing, not sail boating, though some might have a sail boat. Things are different in the south, therefore I am asking fellow southerners. I was askin a serious queston, but oh well.. and BTW "OLD ROW" you have over 130 post on this website, your soooooooooooooooooo FRAT!
Bless your heart.

(All the Southerners here know it needed to be said. )
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 05-17-2012, 09:49 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticCat View Post
Bless your heart.

(All the Southerners here know it needed to be said. )
What am I going to do when I get to NYC and people don't realize that this is a kiss-off?
Old 05-17-2012, 01:49 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DZTurtle11 View Post
Yes, as someone who went to a "southern" university (btw, Ole Miss) I think you're an idiot. Btw please note my proper use of you're and not your.

What the he** do you mean by, "We don't skip around the field with sugar in our cleats." Are you making gay jokes? Any good Southerner would know it was tacky and crass to make those kinds of comments. I'm starting to think you aren't looking for "southern" but "redneck."

"Where we drive trucks, and go sail fishing, not sail boating, though some might have a sail boat." Growing up in MS I thought I knew slang but I can't for the life of me make out that sentence. What is "sail fishing?" Btw, I would see a lot of SUV's and BMW's on fraternity row, but very few trucks. You might need to look at places like MS State for that.

Personally, no fraternity is dumb enough to pledge someone like you and I doubt you are anything more then a troll. Good luck with life in your parent's basement.
You're really classy because you used the word "crass." And true, using your instead of you're was an honest mistake. Technically its called "sport fishing," I was just making a comparison. Its where you fish for bill fish i.e. marlins, sailfish, swordfish etc. If you didn't know what it was you should have googled it before making another "hating" comment. Have you ever seen the back of a Guy Harvey shirt? A lot of the time you're looking at a sailfish. And the "sugar in your cleats" comment is a reference to the toughness of competition in SEC football. You took it way out of context, Idk where you got the gay reference from. Anyone else have an opinion on my original question, besides these haters?
Old 05-17-2012, 02:21 PM
Banned

Quote:
You're really classy because you used the word "crass." And true, using your instead of you're was an honest mistake. Technically its called "sport fishing," I was just making a comparison. Its where you fish for bill fish i.e. marlins, sailfish, swordfish etc. If you didn't know what it was you should have googled it before making another "hating" comment. Have you ever seen the back of a Guy Harvey shirt? A lot of the time you're looking at a sailfish. And the "sugar in your cleats" comment is a reference to the toughness of competition in SEC football. You took it way out of context, Idk where you got the gay reference from. Anyone else have an opinion on my original question, besides these haters?
People who know the answer have already told you but it's not an answer you wanted to hear.

I am an SEC alum and can assure you that a 22 year old would not be persued by the kinds of chapters you're dreaming about. Quit crying about it.
Old 05-17-2012, 04:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Disclaimer: I am a SEC alumnus, just not a “SEC football dominated school” SEC alumnus.

The only times I have heard of an "older" fraternity pledge at an SEC college - regardless if the chapter is a "traditional southern fraternity" or whatever so-called “tier” it might be in - is if the pledge already knew members in the chapter *and* had a legitimate (good) reason for taking time off between high school and enrolling in college *and* a good reason for then waiting until their sophomore year to pledge.

Basically, a brother in that chapter will need to “strongly” vouch for you personally. But again, the chapter will most likely question not only why you took time off, but why you didn’t rush as a 21 year old freshman. If they don’t “buy it” (like your reason), you will most likely be SOL.

Best of luck.

Last edited by TSteven; 05-17-2012 at 04:07 PM.
Old 05-17-2012, 04:15 PM
GreekChat Member

You know, a lot of qualified people have already told you that it's not going to happen, but I bet you're different from all the others. Old row fraternities love guys who call their GLOs "frats" and try really hard to prove how fratty they are. As an older student, i bet you'd quickly serve as a mentor to some of the younger active brothers and not have go go through too much with pledging. Good luck!
Old 05-17-2012, 05:15 PM
Banned

Thank you for y'alls time. I was just looking for more than one opinion. I was looking for an opinion based on experience of the situation at hand. Being that my high school sends almost all of its college attending graduate to this well known SEC school, I know members very well from all the top tier frats at my school. I just don't know the specifics fraternity system, and they're likeliness and ability to give bids to the guy my age. Being that I have 3 years of school left, I figured I'd have a chance.
Old 05-17-2012, 05:16 PM
Banned

*specifics of the fraternity system
Old 05-17-2012, 05:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Thank you for y'alls time. I was just looking for more than one opinion. I was looking for an opinion based on experience of the situation at hand. Being that my high school sends almost all of its college attending graduate to this well known SEC school, I know members very well from all the top tier frats at my school. I just don't know the specifics fraternity system, and they're likeliness and ability to give bids to the guy my age. Being that I have 3 years of school left, I figured I'd have a chance.
"I was just looking for more than one opinion." Translated: I wanted to be told I was a special snowflake instead of just being told no.

"I know members very well from all the top tier frats at my school" If you know so many guys then why are you asking us?

"Sisterhood is not about being popular, its about developing character, forming bonds, and self-discovery. If after four years you can hold you head high, then absolutely your sorority is "tops"." - H2oot
Old 05-17-2012, 06:00 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCsweet<3 View Post
"I was just looking for more than one opinion." Translated: I wanted to be told I was a special snowflake instead of just being told no.

"I know members very well from all the top tier frats at my school" If you know so many guys then why are you asking us?
Precisely!
Old 05-17-2012, 06:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
If they were your friends and were interested in you, they would already have invited you to rush events.
Old 05-17-2012, 06:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
As for the “specifics of the fraternity system” and you receiving a bid, you do have a chance. Now how good of a chance will depend on the school and the chapter.

Knowing members in a chapter is a good start. And hopefully, they remember you well enough (in a good way) to vouch for you. And if need be, they should be able to expel any concerns of the other members – those who are younger than you, who may not know you at all, who may not remember you - about pledging a 22 year old sophomore.

Now perhaps your age will not be a deal breaker. But the reason why you did not attend college right after high school could be. And even if you have a good reason as to why you waited to go to college, they will want to know why you waited to rush as a sophomore. They are going to wonder – especially if you already knew members in the chapter “well” – why you did not rush when you were a (21 year old) freshman.

One other thing to consider, depending on the chapter, it may take only one “no vote” to keep you from receiving a bid. And no one can tell you how everyone in a chapter might feel and vote. Some members may not want to be known as the chapter that pledges 22 year old sophomores.

So yes, you have a chance. But simply understand that while 22 year olds may receive bids, it is rare that it happens at an SEC school.

By the way, most members of SEC (IFC) fraternities do not use the word “frat”. Just saying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCsweet<3 View Post
If you know so many guys then why are you asking us?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old_Row View Post
If they were your friends and were interested in you, they would already have invited you to rush events.
Co-sign to both.

Last edited by TSteven; 05-17-2012 at 07:33 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 05-17-2012, 09:18 PM
Banned

thanks TSteven. You gave the least opinionated answer. I started school last semester and missed spring rush because of a funeral. This summer will be my second semester, this fall i will be a sophomore. I was asking to see what the southern fraternity community thought about my age before brought it up to my frat friends. I know at the school I'm at we do call them frats.., well maybe not the kids.. excuse me., MEN, that take it way too serious. ROLL TIGERS! WAR TIDE!
Old 05-18-2012, 03:11 PM
GreekChat Member

ly. SeriousLY.
Old 05-18-2012, 11:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubaiSis View Post
ly. SeriousLY.
Yeah. Use your goddamn adverbs.