GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 663
1 members and 662 guests
Cookiez17

Old 03-20-2008, 12:10 AM
GreekChat Member

GPA Requirement

I've struggled for the first few semesters at college, but I've finally gotten myself back on track. However, the GPA looked at during recruitment is your overall, and not based on last semester. It stinks because I did well in HS which shows that I have the ability to keep my GPA in good standing, but just lost focus for a little bit in college.

Being in a sorority is something that I really want to do, but with my GPA overall, I would only be able to get into 2-3 out of 6. Would it still be worth it to rush even if I'm not able to give them all a fair chance?
Old 03-20-2008, 12:21 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveMandieLee View Post
I've struggled for the first few semesters at college, but I've finally gotten myself back on track. However, the GPA looked at during recruitment is your overall, and not based on last semester. It stinks because I did well in HS which shows that I have the ability to keep my GPA in good standing, but just lost focus for a little bit in college.

Being in a sorority is something that I really want to do, but with my GPA overall, I would only be able to get into 2-3 out of 6. Would it still be worth it to rush even if I'm not able to give them all a fair chance?
Based on your wording of "first few semesters," I take it you'll be a junior. I am also assuming that although you have brought up your GPA, your cumulative is borderline because you say that you'd be ineligible for some of the chapters at your school.

I'll be honest, as a junior with a low GPA, your chances do not look good. I don't know where you go to school, but if it is a competitive school with a hefty registration fee, and a school where recs are vital, I'd say save your time and money. If you are at a less competitive school with a low registration fee, where recs are emphasized very little or not at all, and you will be ok if you are cut by all chapters, go ahead and give it a shot.
Old 03-20-2008, 12:27 AM
GreekChat Member

Yeah, I'll be a junior.

Man, I was really looking forward to finally getting in. The fact that I haven't done so well is just screwing me with everything. I totally wish I could go back and re-do my entire college career thus far.
Old 03-20-2008, 05:53 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveMandieLee View Post
I totally wish I could go back and re-do my entire college career thus far.
You can.

Well to a point.

Take a semester and re-take some of those classes from earlier on. Most colleges will replace the old grade with a new one.

Yes, it may delay graduation by a semester, but do some quick math as to what replacing some Ds/Fs with Bs, or Cs with As will do to your GPA. Your GPA will really thank you.

This will also make you a much more appealing candidate once the job search rolls around. In the long run, this one semester investment can have a very positive impact on your overall life and very much worth the time, money and effort.

You could maybe even get a start with summer school. Re-take the classes with your lowest grades first.
Old 03-20-2008, 11:52 AM
GreekChat Member

Thanks for the advice! I'll definitely look into doing that.