GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,123
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zsamulpitt5293
» Online Users: 1,068
1 members and 1,067 guests
Sarak24034

Old 05-12-2015, 10:46 PM

Calling all crafty/creative folks...

My company is doing a "Fridays of Fun" thing for the summer. Each Friday has a theme, and I'm stumped for a few of them. I'm not willing to spend any money other than maybe to pick up something cheap at a dollar store or Goodwill or something. Everyone votes on who has the best outfit, and I'd like to win at least once. (It's a small office.)

I'm sure some of these have been rush themes for some of you ...

Rules are - outfits must be PG-rated and non-offensive. Participation is optional.

May 15 is All Black Day. I've got that covered. (My mother-in-law criticizes me because half the time I look like I'm going to a funeral.)

May 22 is Camo Day. I own nothing camo.

May 29 is Harry Potter Day. I have a hand-knitted Ravenclaw scarf and a witch's hat from a Halloween costume. I can also use my husband's robe from when he earned his master's degree, but I'm afraid of tripping over it (he's 5'11", I'm 5'2").

June 5 is "Grease Day" as in the movie. I'm at a loss here.

June 12 is Crazy Hat Day. I can reuse the witch's hat for this.

June 19 is Plaid Day. I have some old flannel shirts.

June 26 is Hawaiian Shirt Day. I do not own a Hawaiian shirt.

July 3 is a holiday (Independence Day observed).

July 10 is Summer Whites / Linens Day. I have the perfect blazer for this.

July 17 is 90's Day. Again, I'm at a loss. I was in high school and college during the 90's and pretty much lived in t-shirts and jeans - which doesn't exactly scream "90's". I can't do "big hair" (which I vaguely recall was still a thing in the early 90's) because my hair is stick-straight and won't take product.

July 24 is Disney Day. Once again, I'm at a loss.

July 31 is Christmas in July. I have a lightweight red cardigan and a green shell, so I think I'm good there.

August 7 is 60's Day. Yet again, I'm at a loss.

August 14 is Beach Day. I can't really get away with wearing my swimsuit to the office (LOL) but I have a big straw hat and I can wear a tank top and shorts.

August 21 is Nautical Day. I own nothing nautical themed. I could wear something navy blue...

August 28 is Black Tie Day. This, I can cover - I have some nice dresses, or I could be silly and wear my husband's tux jacket, tie, and vest with my own blouse and slacks.

September 4 is Sports Team Day. I ran track in high school and college, and if I can dig up a shirt or jacket from those days, I'm set.

Notice how many of these themes involve wearing something warm (flannels, all black, a freaking wool scarf and graduation robe) in the middle of a New England summer?! And my coworkers tell me that the A/C usually makes the office frigid, but we've had some pretty hot days recently and I have been melting.

So, any ideas for those Fridays where I can't figure what to wear?
Old 05-13-2015, 01:01 AM
GreekChat Member

We had a 90s mixer where I wore a vintage neon windbreaker-the late 80s bled over into the early 90s so I thought it worked. Plaid flannel would also work if you wanted to do grunge instead. My mom and I have matching windbreakers and they look similar to this and they are SO COOL:

For nautical themed, navy and white would work! A cheap pirate outfit, like a plastic sword and eyepatch, would be a funny way to be piratey and still nautical.

I think you'll have to suck it up and hunt through Goodwill for a Hawaiian shirt. I once found a full-length Hawaiian-print muumuu in one near Clemson, though, so anything's possible. Same goes for camo, unless you wanted to incorporate nature and paint your face while sticking twigs and leaves in your hair:P

I don't have any suggestions off the top of my head for the rest.
Old 05-13-2015, 02:54 PM
GreekChat Member

No ideas here; I wanted to tell you how sorry I am that you have to come up with costumes to wear EVERY SINGLE WEEK during the summer! I hate stuff like that. It's bad enough when I have to dress my kids in costume for "Dr. Seuss Day" or "Noah's Ark Day" for preschool - I am busy and don't want to spend time wracking my brain to come up with ideas, and also don't want to waste money buying something that is going to be worn once. Sorry to be a Debbie Downer to anyone who likes the idea, but what a way to ruin a perfectly good Friday. I'd rather them have "Fridays of Fun" by bringing in treats. Cookie Table, anyone?
Old 05-13-2015, 04:11 PM
GreekChat Member

For Camo Day - Cheap and Pink
Old 05-13-2015, 04:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
Originally Posted by aephi alum View Post
May 22 is Camo Day. I own nothing camo.
Wear light blue and say you are wearing sky camo or wear regular clothing and say you are wearing office camo.

Quote:
All black will work...isn't that what she's wearing at the very end?

Quote:
Thrift store.

Quote:
July 17 is 90's Day. Again, I'm at a loss. I was in high school and college during the 90's and pretty much lived in t-shirts and jeans - which doesn't exactly scream "90's". I can't do "big hair" (which I vaguely recall was still a thing in the early 90's) because my hair is stick-straight and won't take product.
Thrift store flannel. Go 90's grunge.

Quote:
August 21 is Nautical Day. I own nothing nautical themed. I could wear something navy blue...
WTF? Who is coming up with these? Shirley Temple?
Old 05-13-2015, 04:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
Originally Posted by KD4Me View Post
No ideas here; I wanted to tell you how sorry I am that you have to come up with costumes to wear EVERY SINGLE WEEK during the summer! I hate stuff like that. It's bad enough when I have to dress my kids in costume for "Dr. Seuss Day" or "Noah's Ark Day" for preschool - I am busy and don't want to spend time wracking my brain to come up with ideas, and also don't want to waste money buying something that is going to be worn once. Sorry to be a Debbie Downer to anyone who likes the idea, but what a way to ruin a perfectly good Friday. I'd rather them have "Fridays of Fun" by bringing in treats. Cookie Table, anyone?
ITA. I liked it when my company had jeans day if you threw $5 in the bucket for United Way.
Old 05-13-2015, 11:12 PM

Thank you for all the good ideas!

KD4Me: Dressing up is not mandatory, so, if I can't find a suitable outfit, feh.

clemsongirl: I have the plaid flannel ... I may take your suggestion and use it for 90's day as well as plaid day. The office is frigid when the A/C works (which often isn't the case - the office has been a sauna lately). And I could use the white blazer and my navy blue shell for nautical day.

DBB: Looks like I'll be going to the thrift store... :/
Old 05-14-2015, 12:04 AM
Super Moderator

Thumbs up

First of all, I need to say that I am extremely jealous! Our office administrator is completely anti-fun - she considered open toes shoes "unprofessional"! Anyhow, here are some ideas for the days you're not sure about, to be taken with a grain of salt!

Quote:
Jeans with the legs rolled up, sneakers or saddle shoes, t-shirt, windbreaker, and one of those chiffon-type scarves.

Quote:
Cut the outline of a shirt out of a piece of Hawaiian print scrapbook paper, and wear it like a name tag. Lei is optional.

Quote:
The only thing original that comes to mind is a navy blue dress.

Quote:
July 24 is Disney Day. Once again, I'm at a loss.
Mouse ears. Black t-shirt with a big M on it. Almost any one of a hundred Halloween costumes found at a thift store. If not, again, cut out mouse ears as a name tag.

Quote:
August 7 is 60's Day. Yet again, I'm at a loss.
Tie dye, granny glasses, wreath of flowers in your hair, stencil a flower or peace sign on your cheek. Jeans & tank top, sandals. Think Grateful Dead.

Hope that helps!
Old 05-14-2015, 12:40 AM

90s day - flannel shirt and clunky boots. No big hair. Big hair is the 80s.
Old 05-14-2015, 05:02 AM
GreekChat Member

Sounds like fun!

May 22 is Camo Day. Regular outfit covered in post-its? "office camo"

May 29 is Harry Potter Day. Use an eye pencil to draw a lightning shaped scar on your forehead (or a dark mark on your arm)

June 5 is "Grease Day" as in the movie. Pink wig and a pastel scarf with a white tee, go as Frenchie

June 12 is Crazy Hat Day. Wear a fruit basket.

July 17 is 90's Day. Plaid shirt, torn jeans for early 90s. Or one of those tattoo-choker necklaces, flared pants and a t-shirt for late 90s. Or wear an AEPhi letter shirt and be you in the 90s!

July 24 is Disney Day. Red lipstick, black/white outfit, shirt with black polka-dots... cruella de vil

August 7 is 60's Day. Flower in your hair, wide skirt or flared pants, open vest, peace sign necklace. Scarf as bandana

August 21 is Nautical Day. Stripes, navy/white/red/gold, anchors
Old 05-14-2015, 06:01 AM
GreekChat Member

http://www.bloglovin.com/blogs/miss-...31&viewer=true
Old 05-14-2015, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaBetaBaby View Post
Wear light blue and say you are wearing sky camo or wear regular clothing and say you are wearing office camo.
Office Camo! Filing this away in the event I find a job somewhere that comes up with a similar plan.
Old 05-14-2015, 10:59 PM
GreekChat Member

June 5 is "Grease Day" as in the movie. --- Go as one of the Tbirds. Slick back your hair, wear a white tshirt with rolled sleeves, tight roll your jeans, wear white socks and black shoes.

July 17 is 90's Day. Grunge. Band tshirt with flannel shirt over it, lots of black eyeliner, hair long and loose

July 24 is Disney Day. Tons of stuff for this one -- You could get a cheap princess tiara and wear it (Maybe with a fancy dress). You could get cheap fairy wings and wear them. You could get mouse ears and wear them. You could wear a Disney tshirt with one of a bazillion characters.

August 7 is 60's Day. Do you have a flow-y blouse. That and some flowers in your hair and you are set.

August 21 is Nautical Day. I'd order a cheap pirate hat from a costume shop and wear it with a white shirt.

September 4 is Sports Team Day. Your local Target will have new tshirts in your town's local teams. The section is usually back by the seasonal stuff.
Old 05-14-2015, 11:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Now I'm having flashbacks. One of our recruitment outfits was something like that in a terrible moon and stars pattern.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAblondeGPhi View Post
Old 05-14-2015, 11:19 PM
Super Moderator

For Disney Day, you could simply wear green and carry Tinkerbelle's wand. Be sure to "tink" people every now and again with the wand!