GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Omega > Omega Psi Phi

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,423
0 members and 1,423 guests
No Members online

Old 12-15-2003, 07:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Omega Man Killed by Police

Persuant to recent conversations and misue of profiling young Black men, this happened to a well-known and exemplary Bruh. Many Bruhs that I know are headed to his funeral and memorial service.

Shot fired by Muscogee County Deputy on I-185...
Muscogee County Deputy Kills Unarmed Man

39-year-old Kenneth Walker died early Thursday morning, after being shot in the head on Interstate-185 by a Muscogee County sheriff's deputy.
Walker was suspected of dealing cocaine, but not anymore.
Walker's family are upset and wonder, how could this happen to an innocent black man, who leaves behind a wife and 3 1/2-year-old daughter.
Sheriff Ralph Johnson is also "sorry this happened." He says this started off as a narcotics investigation, where his deputies stopped a Yukon they thought was involved.
Three of the men from the vehicle followed deputies' instructions, but the Sheriff says Walker was "resistant," would not show his right hand, then was shot.
"He was not trying to shoot him in the head. He felt like his life was in danger," Sheriff Johnson said. "The resistance part of it is that you don't follow the commands to get on the ground and have to be placed on the ground, and then you still can't see that hand. That's a judgement call."
The incident happened at 9:00 Wednesday night on I-185 between Macon road and Manchester expressway.
The sheriff also said, his deputies did not stop the wrong car, because the Yukon, according to their drug informant, had armed dealers inside. That information turned out to be wrong, because no drugs or weapons were found in the vehicle.
Walker is not connected to any criminal activity, according to the sheriff. The other three men stopped were released, and not arrested.
The victim's family, with an attorney, is officially requesting an independent investigation by the FBI or GBI. They say they weren't notified of Walker being shot until hours later, so only saw him minutes before he died.
The NAACP also is speaking out against the sheriff's department, claiming racism.
As for the deputy who fired the fatal shot, he is put on administrative leave with pay, which is standard procedure during an investigation. The deputy's name has not been released.
Sheriff Johnson calls this a "tragic day" for Walker's family, the sheriff's department, and the city of Columbus.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 12-15-2003, 09:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Angry

Saying it is a tragic day is a gross understatement. And before anyone says this is another example of an extreme case--it happens regularly. The brothers may not be killed but they are wrongly stopped, beaten and even shot.
Reaffirmed: Glen Ellyn Area Alumnae
All in the MIGHTY MIDWEST REGION!
Old 12-15-2003, 11:54 PM
GreekChat Member

I don't know if I feel more sad then enraged this B.S amazes me the black man is often shot and killed for reasons that are so trivial it's a damn shame. Doggy how about in South Carolina this white guy and his son killed two police officers and was captured unscatched how about that....yes I said KILLED two police officers, now a blackman can't even be in a traffic stop and not be killed I swear it's a damn shame.
Old 12-16-2003, 08:38 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to kiml122
I agree with ladygreek, this is becoming something that is happening on a regualr basis with our people.

Be Breezy - Calvin from "House of Payne"
Old 12-16-2003, 10:25 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ladygreek
Saying it is a tragic day is a gross understatement. And before anyone says this is another example of an extreme case--it happens regularly. The brothers may not be killed but they are wrongly stopped, beaten and even shot.
too regularly.
Old 12-16-2003, 10:44 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by AXEAM
I don't know if I feel more sad then enraged this B.S amazes me the black man is often shot and killed for reasons that are so trivial it's a damn shame. Doggy how about in South Carolina this white guy and his son killed two police officers and was captured unscatched how about that....yes I said KILLED two police officers, now a blackman can't even be in a traffic stop and not be killed I swear it's a damn shame.
I'm also in SC, I saw that in the paper last week. That's some straight MESSSS.
Old 12-16-2003, 11:10 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to acedawg00-02
Quote:
Originally posted by Love_Spell_6
See that's the thing...everything is not always fair...Its like this...if I get pulled over because I "fit the profile" of someone...and its not me...assuming there's no physical brutality etc... all I had to deal with was inconvenience. I think its stupid to not pull a car over on the NJ TPK if (hypothetically) 95% of the drug trafficers are black males driving certain cars from certain states....I think that's good police work. Just like I think its not wise to NOT pull Arab men out of the line at the AIrport when they fit the profile for the terrorists! Of course I'm generalizing here...but I hope you see my point.

If I have to suffer some inconvenience in the interest of justice...so be it. If you're not carrying drugs on the turnpike or weapons on the plane...why be concerned?

I know there are corrupt cops...but I sincerely feel they are in the minority.

In all fairness, this was posted under the "Al Gore Endorsement Speech" thread...so, it had no "direct" ties to this thread. I was going to respond to it, but I decided not to...for the sake of preventing too intense of a discussion! But I think that the death of our Fraternity brother and friend (not to mention someone's son, husband and father), kinda brings home an answer to the question as to WHY WE SHOULD BE CONCERNED.

Last edited by acedawg00-02; 12-16-2003 at 10:54 PM.
Old 12-16-2003, 02:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by acedawg00-02
In all fairness, this was posted under the "Al Gore Endorsement Speech" thread...so, it had no direct ties to this thread. I was going to respond, but I decided not to...for the sake of preventing too intense of a discussion! But I think that the death of our Fraternity brother and friend (not to mention someone's son, husband and father), kinda brings home an answer to the question as to WHY WE SHOULD BE CONCERNED.
I referenced that thread in my response here, too. I think there are direct ties between the threads, in fact this is more applicable to what the other thread turned into. And you are absolutely correct--this is why we should be concerned.
Old 12-16-2003, 04:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Unhappy

We're all entitled to our opinions. I still DO NOT believe that this is the norm....and for those that do...that's your perorgative. But that is NOT the issue here...

My condolences to the bruh's family.
Old 12-16-2003, 06:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
We're all entitled to our opinions. I still DO NOT believe that this is the norm....and for those that do...that's your perorgative. But that is NOT the issue here...

My condolences to the bruh's family.
Unfortunately Sis, it is. 4 young black males in an SUV are profiled, then stopped without having done anything other than being Black. No moving violation, no equipment violations, nothing. Forced to lie face down without due process, and one is shot twice for daring to speak out. This was an exemplary Bruh, good to his family, good on his job, well known in town and across the state. Every chapter of Omega in GA will have a representative at his funeral. This could be any Black man in your family. This has happened to me numerous times, only I wasn't shot. I have been hancuffed, laid in the grass, car searched from engine to muffler, by dogs, just for being Black. It is more than an inconvenience, it is DEHUMANIZING, EMASCULATING, and the ultimate flaunting of WHITE SUPERIORITY. There is a place for profiling but it must be mitigated by justice, not "just us".

Ben Franklin once said that "those who will trade their freedom for safety, will soon have neither".
Old 12-16-2003, 07:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

How is it NOT the issue here?
Old 12-16-2003, 10:41 PM
GreekChat Member

I actually thought THIS thread was about the bruh...I thought it would be more appropriate to pick up the conversation about profiling on the other thread
Old 12-17-2003, 04:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I actually thought THIS thread was about the bruh...I thought it would be more appropriate to pick up the conversation about profiling on the other thread
It is about the Bruh and what led to his wrongful death. This unfortunately, is an actual example of what we were talking about in the other thread which started off about Gore's endorsement speech.

When you change your views because others disagree and you are a willing to be open, really hear what the others are saying, and are not afraid to admit you may be wrong--you gain a little more integrity, wisdom, strength, and cofidence each time.

Last edited by ladygreek; 12-17-2003 at 04:18 PM.
Old 12-17-2003, 04:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DoggyStyle82
Unfortunately Sis, it is. 4 young black males in an SUV are profiled, then stopped without having done anything other than being Black. No moving violation, no equipment violations, nothing. Forced to lie face down without due process, and one is shot twice for daring to speak out. This was an exemplary Bruh, good to his family, good on his job, well known in town and across the state. Every chapter of Omega in GA will have a representative at his funeral. This could be any Black man in your family. This has happened to me numerous times, only I wasn't shot. I have been hancuffed, laid in the grass, car searched from engine to muffler, by dogs, just for being Black. It is more than an inconvenience, it is DEHUMANIZING, EMASCULATING, and the ultimate flaunting of WHITE SUPERIORITY. There is a place for profiling but it must be mitigated by justice, not "just us".

Ben Franklin once said that "those who will trade their freedom for safety, will soon have neither".
Good points Bruh
Old 12-17-2003, 04:19 PM
GreekChat Member

It's really upsetting that situations like this are becoming an everyday thing.