GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,123
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zsamulpitt5293
» Online Users: 1,097
1 members and 1,096 guests
Sarak24034

Old 10-27-2012, 07:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Interest in NPHC sorority after going offline in multi-cultural sorority

A few years ago, I was became interested in the possibility of joining either a multi-cultural, latina-based, or NPHC organization. I was in graduate school and had the most contact with a latina based organization and decided to pursue membership. I was online for over a month and realized this was not the organization for me and disagreed with their hazing practices (especially as I was older in life). Now a few years later I have several friends in an NPHC organization that I feel is an excellent fit for me. Several of the girls have asked me if I would be interested and they said that I would be a great fit. I am very much interested, however, I don't know if I am allowed to participate in the Membership Intake Process if I had already started a process years ago with another organization. The organization was not part of NPC or NPHC and I did not cross. Our entire line dropped.
Old 10-27-2012, 07:22 PM
GreekChat Member

I can only answer from an NPC/NPHC perspective but it would seem as long as you were not initiated there should not be a problem. Are these women aware that you began the process with another group?
Old 10-27-2012, 07:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaf2012 View Post
Now a few years later I have several friends in an NPHC organization that I feel is an excellent fit for me. Several of the girls have asked me if I would be interested and they said that I would be a great fit.
I thought NPHC members generally didn't reach out to aspirants.
Old 10-27-2012, 08:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaf2012 View Post
A few years ago, I was became interested in the possibility of joining either a multi-cultural, latina-based, or NPHC organization. I was in graduate school and had the most contact with a latina based organization and decided to pursue membership. I was online for over a month and realized this was not the organization for me and disagreed with their hazing practices (especially as I was older in life). Now a few years later I have several friends in an NPHC organization that I feel is an excellent fit for me. Several of the girls have asked me if I would be interested and they said that I would be a great fit. I am very much interested, however, I don't know if I am allowed to participate in the Membership Intake Process if I had already started a process years ago with another organization. The organization was not part of NPC or NPHC and I did not cross. Our entire line dropped.
Why don't you simply ask them? I am sure you will get a more accurate answer from them, than strangers who have no idea of the situation you are in.
Old 10-28-2012, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
I can only answer from an NPC/NPHC perspective but it would seem as long as you were not initiated there should not be a problem. Are these women aware that you began the process with another group?
The latter might be an issue. To the OP, if they don't know, I would come clean about being on line with this previous group and dropping so they don't hear it through the grapevine later. They might run screaming in the other direction from you or they might not give a rat's rump. It really depends on the org and the people involved.
Old 11-14-2012, 09:30 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
My understanding is that the initiation exclusivity pertains to NPC-to-NPC group and NPHC-to-NPHC. So an initiate of a MCGLO could be initiated into an NPHC or an NPC. Or, technically, both.
Old 11-14-2012, 09:45 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGDAlum View Post
My understanding is that the initiation exclusivity pertains to NPC-to-NPC group and NPHC-to-NPHC. So an initiate of a MCGLO could be initiated into an NPHC or an NPC. Or, technically, both.
I'm pretty sure that I've seen posts from NPHC members saying that initiation into an NPC sorority is a bar to initiation in at least some, and maybe all, NPHC sororities.
Old 11-14-2012, 12:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticCat View Post
I'm pretty sure that I've seen posts from NPHC members saying that initiation into an NPC sorority is a bar to initiation in at least some, and maybe all, NPHC sororities.
I have a sorority sister who thinks she experienced this. She was being invited to events for a NPHC sorority and had a feeling they were interested in her for membership. She wasn't sure this was what was happening, but she had a strong hunch/gut feeling. She wasn't interested in membership in another group, so the next time she was invited, she worked it into the conversation that she is a Gamma Phi Beta. She said they seemed surprised and disappointed when she told them. The vibe she got was, "oh, you're taken."

I know another sister who is an initiate of a MCGLO and Gamma Phi Beta. She initiated into the MCGLO as a collegian, and Gamma Phi Beta as an AI.

Last edited by Sciencewoman; 11-14-2012 at 12:48 PM.
Old 12-19-2012, 11:41 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticCat View Post
I'm pretty sure that I've seen posts from NPHC members saying that initiation into an NPC sorority is a bar to initiation in ....all, NPHC sororities.
Yes.